Russian/East European Studies

I'll be there!

Very cool. Do you know where you're going to grad school yet (or are you already in grad school?)

I'll admit I don't know much about SWSEEL, the opportunity just serendipitously presented itself. However, I'm definitely excited.

Have you been before or have any incites? A past student who is familiar with my proficiency in Russian said I would probably not be below a lvl 7, but I honestly have no concept of what that means, because I'm not sure how they determine levels (well through the placement test obviously, I guess I'm not sure what skill level or score corresponds to each level). Although based on the textbooks, she's probably about right despite the fact that I'm a little rusty. But I'm probably way more excited about this than I should be. I should really be able to hit the ground running when I start my MA in August.

Are you living on campus or subletting? I'm looking for a sublet. Renting a room in a dorm comes out to almost $1000/m. Too expensive, although it's probably more convenient to live on campus in a lot of ways.

Anyway, I guess I'll see you in June. 

bg13 and Ivan Bezdomni, just wanted to let you guys know I will officially be attending UNC next fall. PM if you want to get in touch, can't wait to meet my future cohort! Also, let me know if you know of any female graduate students looking for housing, as I need to find a roommate.

I just received the FLAS at University of Pittsburgh for Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian!  Anyone attending Pitt?

I will be there this summer for SLI program doing first year BCS. But I will not be studying there for the school year.

Hey guys, hoping for some opinions here.

Since starting university, i've found myself quite interested in the soviet union and russian politics in general. Initially i was planning to apply for an M.A in Political Science with the hopes of focusing on contemporary Russian politics but that was until i discovered that they offered M.A in East European studies! Unfortunately, i only have one year of Russian language under my belt but i'm planning to take another in my last year.

1) Assuming that i finish 2 years of Russian, will this be enough for most East European studies programs prior to starting my masters?

I'm actually still a bit uncertain as to whether i should pursue an MA in Poli Sci or East European studies but i'm leaning towards the latter because it seems like i would be able to improve my Russian while also being able to pursue my interest in politics.

2) Also, it seems like there's not many EE studies offered at the unis in Canada but i'm not sure of the reputation of the unis i've been looking at in terms of this particular program. I've seen schools like Duke, UNC, Pittsburgh. Indiana thrown around for this discipline, am i right to assume they're well established for Russian studies?

Hey you can find more info on the UNC program here: cseees.unc.edu

Two years of Russian technically meets the minimum requirements for admission to most programs but you may not be very competitive with only two years of Russian language experience (although admission rates tend to be very high for Russian and East European studies compared to other areas of graduate studies). You could express an interest in a different less commonly taught language (Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian, Uzbek, Polish, etc.) which would increase your chances while still giving you the opportunity to study Russian.

I will warn you that if you are not an American citizen your chances for funding are very low since most of the funding for this area of study at the masters level comes from the US government.

Hope this helps.

Hey you can find more info on the UNC program here: cseees.unc.edu

Two years of Russian technically meets the minimum requirements for admission to most programs but you may not be very competitive with only two years of Russian language experience (although admission rates tend to be very high for Russian and East European studies compared to other areas of graduate studies). You could express an interest in a different less commonly taught language (Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian, Uzbek, Polish, etc.) which would increase your chances while still giving you the opportunity to study Russian.

I will warn you that if you are not an American citizen your chances for funding are very low since most of the funding for this area of study at the masters level comes from the US government.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I realize I probably won't get any funding for an EE masters in the U.S but since there are only 2 schools i'm considering in Canada, i have no choice but to cast a wider net! I've also considered the UK but London seems obscenely expensive. I also don't want to wait a year to reapply again if i don't get into my first choice.

By expressing interest, do you mean including it in my personal statement and whatnot? I didn't think showing interest in another language was an "asset" to one's application. I'd love to learn another language besides Russian but i thought most EE programs expect a certain level of fluency by graduation so i just assumed Russian was my best chance.

I'm also not sure if i want to pursue a PhD in poli sci in the future or just do work at a thinktank/NGO so i feel like an MA in EE is better than a MA in Poli sci since it will improve my language skills.

Edited by nakuu

Thanks for the info. I realize I probably won't get any funding for an EE masters in the U.S but since there are only 2 schools i'm considering in Canada, i have no choice but to cast a wider net! I've also considered the UK but London seems obscenely expensive. I also don't want to wait a year to reapply again if i don't get into my first choice.

By expressing interest, do you mean including it in my personal statement and whatnot? I didn't think showing interest in another language was an "asset" to one's application. I'd love to learn another language besides Russian but i thought most EE programs expect a certain level of fluency by graduation so i just assumed Russian was my best chance.

I'm also not sure if i want to pursue a PhD in poli sci in the future or just do work at a thinktank/NGO so i feel like an MA in EE is better than a MA in Poli sci since it will improve my language skills.

You're generally asked specifically what region you plan to focus on. For Russia, a minimum of 2-3 years of Russian language study is generally required. However, for other less commonly taught languages no experience at all is required (although experience in Russian is still a plus for those). As long as it's a financially viable option for you, I certainly encourage you to apply to schools in the US. I don't know enough about schools in the UK to comment.

Thanks. I just have one final question...is this discipline meant more for a career in NGOs/policy rather than academia (as the UNC site suggests)? My only reservation is that if i decide i want to do a PhD in poli sci, i don't want to be at a disadvantage from people who did MA in poli sci because they have quantitative training (which doesn't seem to be the norm in EE?). Some unis have said that their graduates go on to pursue Ph.Ds after completing a Masters in East European studies but it seems very vague.

I'm still flipping between the two MA programs (although since applications haven't even started, perhaps i'm being undecisive for nothing :P )

I mean it's a versatile field. So you will likely be able to cater to your preferences (political science, policy, history, economics, whatever) within whatever program you attend. Some do pursue PhDs in certain fields. My advice, look what careers graduates of the programs have gone to and contact any program you are interested in and ask about the possibility of pursuing a PhD in poly sci after you graduate. They will be honest with you.

Good luck.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else applying to Russian and East European Studies programs this cycle? I'm looking at KU, Indiana, and UNC/Duke.

I'll bump your question in the hopes of someone joining you here in this application cycle. East European/Eurasian Studies programs tend to attract a very small group-- hence why this is still the only thread since 2011-- but usually at least a few people in any given cycle visit GradCafe.

Those look like solid programs you're applying to. What are your interests/goals?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I am applying to several schools in Russian and Eurasian Studies. I was pleasantly surprised to be accepted into KU's program (as in, I had no idea I would hear a decision so soon), but I am still waiting on the others.

Does anyone know what the usual timeline is to hear back about FLAS?

Edited by Porshyen

Hey! I am applying to several schools in Russian and Eurasian Studies. I was pleasantly surprised to be accepted into KU's program (as in, I had no idea I would hear a decision so soon), but I am still waiting on the others.

Does anyone know what the usual timeline is to hear back about FLAS?

Congrats!

Regarding FLAS, I believe different schools have different procedures, but my program was able to offer it along with the acceptance in mid-March (2011).

I wish this thread had more participants with whom I could commiserate! 

Three of the four programs I applied to asked me to list my GRE scores in the FLAS application (oddly, KU did not and I do not know if they will pull the scores from my admissions app or not). My GRE scores are not great - my quantitative score is atrocious and AWA was subpar, which really surprised me (my VA was fine). I have other qualities that would make my app stand out, like a Fulbright to Georgia, but it is hard to know what is weighed in particular and what is not, so I worry. 

I suppose I will just have to wait and see if a.) I get into other programs b.) if committees see past the low GREs at the rest of my record and consider me for FLAS and/or other funding opportunities.

I am particularly interested in how Russia has shaped national and ethnic identity in the Caucasus from the Russian military campaigns of the 1840s-1860s, Soviet ethnic policy, and modern conflict. What about everyone else? 

Edited by Porshyen

Three of the four programs I applied to asked me to list my GRE scores in the FLAS application (oddly, KU did not and I do not know if they will pull the scores from my admissions app or not). My GRE scores are not great - my quantitative score is atrocious and AWA was subpar, which really surprised me (my VA was fine). I have other qualities that would make my app stand out, like a Fulbright to Georgia, but it is hard to know what is weighed in particular and what is not, so I worry. 

I suppose I will just have to wait and see if a.) I get into other programs b.) if committees see past the low GREs at the rest of my record and consider me for FLAS and/or other funding opportunities.

I am particularly interested in how Russia has shaped national and ethnic identity in the Caucasus from the Russian military campaigns of the 1840s-1860s, Soviet ethnic policy, and modern conflict. What about everyone else? 

I'd be surprised if they weighed GRE scores heavily in the FLAS application. That's handled internally by each university, but from my experience, they usually have to put in a little effort to make sure they actually spend all the FLAS money they get in a given year. With regional studies programs it's possible there's some competition, but the FLAS is based more on the application's profile and trajectory than their numbers. The Fulbright will look very good in that regard, and your research interests sound great.

Hello guys! Am I the only international applicants of the Russian and East European studies? I am a senior student who major in Russian and International economics in top universities in China. I am applying to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, Georgetown, NYU. I almost found no previous application or reference about Russian studies in Chinese forum , and that's why I turned to gradcafe. Is there anyone also applying 2014fall and has already received admission? I finished all my applications in Jan and has not heard from any school yet....Sad.....

Hello guys! Am I the only international applicants of the Russian and East European studies? I am a senior student who major in Russian and International economics in top universities in China. I am applying to Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, Georgetown, NYU. I almost found no previous application or reference about Russian studies in Chinese forum , and that's why I turned to gradcafe. Is there anyone also applying 2014fall and has already received admission? I finished all my applications in Jan and has not heard from any school yet....Sad.....

Welcome! I recommend checking the Results Search section of gradcafe and looking for your Russian/East European Studies programs. They all notify applicants at different times, but you should expect to hear back over the next few weeks.

Hello Echo-syn! 

I am also applying to Russian and Eurasian Studies programs. The only overlap I have with you in terms of schools is Georgetown and I have not heard back from them yet.

From previous years, I was able to ascertain that Georgetown usually notifies anywhere between late February and early March. But who knows?

I just received an 'acceptance e-mail' from the graduate coordinator at CERES (UofT) :D :D :D My first choice and first program to respond!! I actually did not apply to the U.S because i couldn't do the GRE so i only applied to two EE programs within Canada (there are not many) and applied to a few poli sci programs as well.

Now i can stop worrying over reading week and focus on my midterms!!!

So stoked because i really love the professors and the program at u of t (i'm doing my undergrad here, and i live nearby).

я очень счастлива!!!

As for my research interests, i'm interested in post-communist transitions within Russia (and a bit of ukraine as well i suppose!) although i haven't really narrowed it down to a specific aspect of its transition yet.

Huge congrats! U of T is a wonderful school, and they have a great program there. You may feel quite drawn to Ukraine once you are there-- and that's a good thing. ;)

That's way cool about your Fulbright! I was in Armenia last year on a Boren and I went to Tbilisi a couple times - loved it. 

I think schools generally send out FLAS stuff in mid-March. I've been accepted to Wisconsin and I had an interview last week with Harvard. I had a hard time trying to figure out which schools to apply to since my focus is mainly Central Asia (Tajikistan). Specifically gender issues, the Soviet legacy, and Islam.

Hello Echo-syn! 

I am also applying to Russian and Eurasian Studies programs. The only overlap I have with you in terms of schools is Georgetown and I have not heard back from them yet.

From previous years, I was able to ascertain that Georgetown usually notifies anywhere between late February and early March. But who knows?

Hello, nice to meet you here. It's a pity that I just received the rejection from Duke University. It seems that they have never recruited any international student. May I know your application background, for example GRE, Toefl scores, academic research experience and etc. I feel really nervous since the moment I saw the rejection from Duke

Welcome! I recommend checking the Results Search section of gradcafe and looking for your Russian/East European Studies programs. They all notify applicants at different times, but you should expect to hear back over the next few weeks.

Hi, thanks a lot. I have just received a reject from Duke, which makes a terrible beginning of the day. I know that you are an experienced applicant in this area. Do you know something about the international admission. I found that almost all the applicants are Americans and they give less admission to international applicants. Will my nationality be a shortcoming?

That's way cool about your Fulbright! I was in Armenia last year on a Boren and I went to Tbilisi a couple times - loved it. 

I think schools generally send out FLAS stuff in mid-March. I've been accepted to Wisconsin and I had an interview last week with Harvard. I had a hard time trying to figure out which schools to apply to since my focus is mainly Central Asia (Tajikistan). Specifically gender issues, the Soviet legacy, and Islam.

Boren is also cool. I am also hoping to visit Armenia before my grant ends in June. 

I understand where you are coming from in terms of bring to find out to which schools you should apply. As I have mentioned before, I have particular interest in the Caucasus and there are just not many programs that offer emphasis in that region. Aside from choosing schools that had at least some background and course offerings on the region, I also tried to apply to programs that would give me relative freedom to research once it comes time to write a thesis and the like. 

In undergrad, I took classes that touched upon Soviet legacy in Central Asia and thought it was pretty interesting. 

Hi, thanks a lot. I have just received a reject from Duke, which makes a terrible beginning of the day. I know that you are an experienced applicant in this area. Do you know something about the international admission. I found that almost all the applicants are Americans and they give less admission to international applicants. Will my nationality be a shortcoming?

Every program is different, but it seems unlikely that being an international student is itself a disadvantage (aside from the standard difficulties with interpreting a transcript from an unfamiliar university system). Many area studies programs use the FLAS grant that is only eligible to US citizens to recruit, and fairly consistently accept international students who either pay tuition themselves or are able to do so through a home government grant. My own master's program has almost always had at least one international student (in a very small cohort), and always receives international applications.

So the short answer is, don't worry! I am very sorry about Duke, but if you have applied anywhere else, you still have a fair chance.