Russian/East European Studies

I was just awarded FLAS for Pitt SLI, but I am not completely sure whether they have notified alternates.

Does anyone have any information on the caliber of the Pitt SLI program? I am trying to make a decision of whether I should turn down the FLAS and wait to hear back from Indiana (in the next two weeks), or just go ahead and accept it (I have to accept by 12pm on April 2nd).

I would be doing Russian at the "Fourth-year" level at Pitt. Is this a particularly good program? How does it compare with SWSEEL?

While we're on that topic, has anyboad heard back yet from SWSEEL regarding funding? I understand they notify *only* recipients and alternates. I haven't heard anything yet... but I don't know if awards have been made yet...

I haven't heard anything either. Let's both assume that's because NOBODY has heard anything. ;)

I was just awarded FLAS for Pitt SLI, but I am not completely sure whether they have notified alternates.

Does anyone have any information on the caliber of the Pitt SLI program? I am trying to make a decision of whether I should turn down the FLAS and wait to hear back from Indiana (in the next two weeks), or just go ahead and accept it (I have to accept by 12pm on April 2nd).

I would be doing Russian at the "Fourth-year" level at Pitt. Is this a particularly good program? How does it compare with SWSEEL?

Congratulations on receiving a FLAS! That's huge! From what I've heard, the SLI program is at least as good as SWSEEL (i.e. awesome) and if you're planning to go abroad with SLI I'd say it's even stronger. I know that's not terribly helpful given my lack of personal experience or, you know, facts. Still, I would say the FLAS is something you should take very seriously -- it's definitely not a given that SWSEEL will follow suit and fund you as well (IU may have loads of their own students they need to fund, for instance). My humble advice is to take the money and run (...to Pittsburgh). Good luck!

I haven't heard anything either. Let's both assume that's because NOBODY has heard anything. ;)

Congratulations on receiving a FLAS! That's huge! From what I've heard, the SLI program is at least as good as SWSEEL (i.e. awesome) and if you're planning to go abroad with SLI I'd say it's even stronger. I know that's not terribly helpful given my lack of personal experience or, you know, facts. Still, I would say the FLAS is something you should take very seriously -- it's definitely not a given that SWSEEL will follow suit and fund you as well (IU may have loads of their own students they need to fund, for instance). My humble advice is to take the money and run (...to Pittsburgh). Good luck!

Thanks! I am pretty excited. And that makes me feel better about the program. I am probably going to go ahead and confirm with them. Thanks for the advice and good luck!

I would take it too, if I were you! 4th year Russian (you will have to take a test and complete an entrance interview to truly place into it) at SLI (from what I understood) was focused on talking about subjects (intellectual discussions) and lots (and lots) of reading.

I was kind of surprised at the weirdness of the dates, they give you an offer on a Thursday and you have until the Monday to decide? (I was awarded a paltry scholarship, so I'll pass on SLI this year, haha)

Fingers crossed for SWSEEL!!

Edited by clurtheblur12

Come to think of it, this would be a good time to solicit advice on in-country language training programs. I secured a summer FLAS through my university, and I'm leaning toward doing an individual study at MGU (I've heard good things about the faculty for this kind of arrangement-- it would be one-on-one, 20-30 hours per week).

But just on the off chance anyone has other recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them. Note that the biggest limiting factor for me is starting date, which needs to be last week of June at the earliest.

Hey, everyone, I feel like I'm always taking, never giving, but I need some more advice. I took all opinions into consideration (from this forum and elsewhere) and I made my choice: IU. Ultimately, I decided that this really would be the best fit for me and I didn't feel like I was allowing people to dissuade me from doing what I wanted. So, I was really starting to look forward to becoming a Hoosier.

I sat down to check my e-mail and actually was contemplating sending my official acceptance to IU when I saw that I had been offered a full FLAS to Columbia. So now what? The two offers I must weigh are the FLAS at IU and the FLAS at Columbia. The money would certainly go farther in Bloomington, but is that enough to make my decision? What do you know about the two programs? I must admit that I started my application process somewhat late and concentrated on the applications themself, not so much the programs I was applying to. I was initially drawn to Columbia because of its strong Ukrainian program. This is still my main interest. As far as I understand Indiana, they're still a strong Slavic powerhouse with innumerable connections, though their commitment to Ukraine may be waning (thanks to the Slavic languages dept.). Columbia is Columbia, but how do they stack up against IU? I get the feeling that I'd get more support and attention at Indiana, things that I should definitely take into account.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to give one of you some good advice!

I was in the Slavic and Linguistics department at OSU for my undergrad. Message me if you have any questions. I'm still really close with my professors there. The reason the program is small is that most of the grad students are only accepted as PhD students. It's really one of the best Slavic Linguistics programs that you will be able to find. They have so many resources because they are such a large school and I'm assuming you would be heavily involved with the linguistics department, which is also one of the best.

Thanks! I just received a funding offer from them, as well, so the likelihood of my decision in OSU's favor is increasing. I might be messaging you, yet!

Edited by what lies ahead

Also: is anyone here leaning towards OSU at all? Enzian, samanthalubb, anyone else I don't know of who's been accepted?

I declined at OSU since I was rejected for FLAS funding. Good luck with your decision!

I just recently emailed Indiana and they let me know that the first round of SWSEEL FLAS recipients will be notified next week (week of April 9). I have already accepted the FLAS for Pittsburgh SLI, but I thought you all should know about the funding timeline for SWSEEL.

Also, if anyone has any info on how SLI works or how it is broken down, please let me know. I will most likely be at the "4th year" level.

I sat down to check my e-mail and actually was contemplating sending my official acceptance to IU when I saw that I had been offered a full FLAS to Columbia. So now what? The two offers I must weigh are the FLAS at IU and the FLAS at Columbia. The money would certainly go farther in Bloomington, but is that enough to make my decision? What do you know about the two programs? I must admit that I started my application process somewhat late and concentrated on the applications themself, not so much the programs I was applying to. I was initially drawn to Columbia because of its strong Ukrainian program. This is still my main interest. As far as I understand Indiana, they're still a strong Slavic powerhouse with innumerable connections, though their commitment to Ukraine may be waning (thanks to the Slavic languages dept.). Columbia is Columbia, but how do they stack up against IU? I get the feeling that I'd get more support and attention at Indiana, things that I should definitely take into account.

It's my understanding that Columbia is increasing its emphasis on Ukraine, at least on political issues-- they've got the former Ukrainian ambassador to the UN in residence last I checked, and I think they make it a point to always have a few Ukrainian professors in residence. That said, a friend of mine did their MA program with a focus on public health, and she seemed to like it. By which I mean she never talked to me much about it, and just kept doing awesome things in life.

As a rule, I'd run through department lists to check out potential faculty and even course lists to make sure they can offer you what you want to study and give you chances to work with who you'd like. I expect that with all the schools Columbia has, including public health and SIPA, they can let you customize your course of study as you'd like.

But all things equal, the Harriman Institute was one of the absolute first centers for REES to be established in the US, and both it and the school have a very strong reputation abroad-- it also means you can expect a strong alumni network. The name recognition will only help. Its Ukraine offerings would have put it at the top of my MA program list, if I thought I could do the degree in one year. New York is very expensive, but if they offer you the proper FLAS with full tuition plus stipend I think it's worth stretching your budget (as they're supposed to according to the rules... this is actually the school where one admit thought the offer was only partial tuition, which makes no sense to me). If you can't think of anything specific IU has that you don't think Columbia can offer, it's very hard for me to make an argument for IU over Columbia besides money-- and really, I think it's possible to budget the $15k if you can restrain yourself from all the wonderful, expensive things New York offers.

You can PM me, btw, if you want to talk more specific things regarding programs/Ukraine focus.

Hope everyone is doing well with their decisions / making arrangements to start their new programs!! Congratulations to everyone has made a decision, too!! I just found out I was awarded a Fulbright ETA to Azerbaijan, so I'll be re-applying all over again in a few short months (my poor bank account...although I am asking all of the schools that I will be re-applying to if they will hold onto my GRE scores at least, haha)

Still waiting to hear from SWSEEL. I think that, if they don't have a FLAS to offer me, I will just spend the summer at a local collegewhich has a summer program because I could commute there.

Hope everyone is doing well with their decisions / making arrangements to start their new programs!! Congratulations to everyone has made a decision, too!! I just found out I was awarded a Fulbright ETA to Azerbaijan, so I'll be re-applying all over again in a few short months (my poor bank account...although I am asking all of the schools that I will be re-applying to if they will hold onto my GRE scores at least, haha)

Huge congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to post with my final decision. I received and accepted a Graduate Teaching Associateship offer for OSU's MA/PhD program in Slavic Linguistics. I will be moving to Columbus probably at the start of August, as I need to be on campus for TA orientation on the 13th. I am incredibly excited to fulfill my dream of finally returning to school, but a little nervous about 30 hours a week of TA work, teaching Russian, and having to re-adjust to the academic lifestyle after two years in the workforce! It's also crazy to know that I will be in Ohio for the next five to six years. If anyone else is going to OSU, let me know!

Edited by what lies ahead

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering switching from applying to dual MA/MLIS to PhD programs in History. I'm a Post-Cold War Eastern European social historian (if you can explain what that is, I'll give you the bowl of cookie dough ice cream I'm eating!) and so I've found only two programs that match those interests - Indiana and UNC-CH. Indiana has a professor I'd die to work with.

Anyone have any other suggestions for universities? I've got a working knowledge of German but I want to pick up either Czech or Romanian (preferably Czech).

Lastly, and PLEASE don't take offense at this. But what do you all plan to do with your MAs or PhDs? I am not totally interested in teaching but I want to keep my ability to research my subfield that I have fallen 100% in love with and I know with an MA/MLIS I would be working in a museum where I might not be happy and definitely not working with Post-Cold War Eastern European things.

I'm considering switching from applying to dual MA/MLIS to PhD programs in History. I'm a Post-Cold War Eastern European social historian (if you can explain what that is, I'll give you the bowl of cookie dough ice cream I'm eating!) and so I've found only two programs that match those interests - Indiana and UNC-CH. Indiana has a professor I'd die to work with.

Anyone have any other suggestions for universities? I've got a working knowledge of German but I want to pick up either Czech or Romanian (preferably Czech).

Lastly, and PLEASE don't take offense at this. But what do you all plan to do with your MAs or PhDs? I am not totally interested in teaching but I want to keep my ability to research my subfield that I have fallen 100% in love with and I know with an MA/MLIS I would be working in a museum where I might not be happy and definitely not working with Post-Cold War Eastern European things.

I could take my MA in area studies to pretty much any career involving Eastern Europe/Eurasia. But I want to caution you against going for a PhD in history unless your end goal is to become a professor-- which would involve both research and teaching obligations. There just isn't any career that the PhD would offer you that you couldn't enter with the MA. I may sound harsh, but 5-7 years is a huge investment, and even if you aim to become a professor, the job market in history is very competitive. (If any other readers disagree, though, please speak up!)

^Zahar - I'm iffy on the PhD myself. I know I'm super interested in my subfield (more than I've ever been with any of my evolving interests) and the one professor whose interests mirror mine teaches at Indiana. I suggested a PhD because of how I want to continue doing research in my area and I felt like an MA/MLIS would prevent me from doing that as a job.

You didn't sound harsh. It's a nice reality check. It's good to know from more than one person that I could get almost any job in Eastern Europe stuff with just an MA.

I could add that it might still be worth it to do the PhD if you truly love the process of going through coursework and putting the dissertation together, and you're willing to go on to whatever you may find from there, and you don't mind living on a grad student's stipend for a while. It's just that many people enter the PhD not understanding all that, and they become disillusioned later. It's about the journey, though, as much as the destination.

Which professor would that be, if you don't mind my asking? :) I don't know if you've visited both campuses, but I'm from NC myself so I can tell you that Indiana's program is much more impressive than UNC-CH's, in my humble opinion. I didn't even care to apply with Chapel Hill- and that'd be in-state!

I'm a little late to the forum (wish I'd discovered this while panicking earlier this year), but it's great to see so many with an interest in REES!

I applied to IU, Stanford (kind of as a joke), European Uni at St. Petersburg, and Uni of Tartu (that's in Estonia- their program is focused on Russian-EU relations).

EUSP was my top choice and I got it! IU wait-listed me, Stanford rejected, and Tartu's decisions aren't until June so I'll be writing to decline in advance. While Russia is my main focus, I have a great affection for Croatia on the side, and will be going to SWSEEL for B/S/C level 1 as an alternate for FLAS. Anyone gonna be in my class? I've visited Indiana's campus, met the professors, and find the whole place absolutely marvelous. Would love to hear from anyone I'll be spending my summer with.

:)

Edited by RMAL