Russian/East European Studies

Does anyone have any information on Illinois' REEEC MA? In terms of average decision dates and funding? It seems like that program isn't mentioned as much as some of the others.

Hi!  I applied for the REEEC MA.  When I visited UIUC last year, I met with the Slavic Languages and Lit dept, but I also stopped by REEEC and was so impressed by the multidisciplinary program, I decided to apply to that dept instead.  I have no info on decision rates or funding or anything really, but I wanted to say something pro-REEEC.

Anyone else apply for the REEEC MA or to the Lang & Lit program?  We can go crazy with anticipation together!

All best,

Karen

Hi!  I applied for the REEEC MA.  When I visited UIUC last year, I met with the Slavic Languages and Lit dept, but I also stopped by REEEC and was so impressed by the multidisciplinary program, I decided to apply to that dept instead.  I have no info on decision rates or funding or anything really, but I wanted to say something pro-REEEC.

Anyone else apply for the REEEC MA or to the Lang & Lit program?  We can go crazy with anticipation together!

All best,

Karen

That's something good to know. Thanks! Yeah, I've looked around on the forums and haven't found a mention of their program, but when I was researching online I really liked the sound of the department and the faculty. I also didn't see anything for them on the results pages. I was tempted to email the department and ask about average decision times, but sometimes I hate being that person haha. I just get really anxious! I also only applied to two schools so I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me. 

Good luck to you! I hope we find out soon.

I also want to jump in for the current application season. I applied primarily to Russian, E European & Central Asian Studies MA programs, and my research interests lie in Central Asia. My list: UW-Madison, University of Chicago, NYU, Columbia, and Harvard. I thought I would aim high for this first round of apps :(  I heard from Wisconsin today that the program recommended my application for admission to the graduate school! The REECAS MA program looks very appealing, and all my interactions with the department have been very positive. I'm curious if there are other opinions about the school out there, becuase I don't see the program mentioned much in previous posts.

The waiting is just starting to get to me. Now that I know that I may hear back as early as next week, I'm getting antsy. In other news, I am just starting to read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhetsyn. Anybody reading any good Russian literature these days? :)

So - Illinois contacted me about items missing from my FLAS application.  I did not fill out a FLAS application originally, but they have everything now.  The FLAS apps were due today.  Maybe it was just a courtesy notification for everyone who applied to Illinois.  I'm not sure how to read the email.  I am on edge simply because of this possibly meaningless contact.  Anyone else receive an email totally void of useful information?

I got an email from Illinois about missing FLAS items, too. I applied for one, but forgot a part of the application. It could be good news. I know the departments usually encourage applicants to apply for FLAS because most times it's the best source of funding.

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join in for the waiting game.  Congrats on all the acceptances so far!

At this point, I've only heard back from one program -- an acceptance from CREES at Ohio State.  It doesn't seem like anyone else applied here.  Do you guys have any opinions on the program?

These next 2-3 weeks are going to be pretty tough :(

bg13- Congrats on your acceptance! I think it's really a great program. I also applied to UNC, but I still haven't heard back from them. May I ask when you applied? I sent my application in late January, so I was wondering if that's why I haven't heard back yet.

Also, welcome to the waiting game here, SpicyArtichoke. I have to say, I don't know much about the Ohio State program...

Added the schools to my signature :)  My dream schools are Georgetown and Indiana, but I'd really be willing to go anywhere that will fund me.

These February weekends are the worst -- no work to keep my mind occupied, and plenty of time to get antsy as I read through the forums!

It's twice as bad now that it's President's Day weekend (although I am glad to have the day off). spicyartichoke, which program at Columbia did you apply for? I applied for the MA in Regional Studies at the Harriman Institute. Sounds like they notify in April!