Russian/East European Studies

Hey all. Long time lurker first time poster.

Mazel tov all around re: admissions.

I just pulled the trigger for Stanford CREEES MA. I was waitlisted at Harvard REECA and was tired of waiting - im sure y'all can relate. How's the rest of the cycle been for fellow Russian Studies types?

Welcome zilya! Congrats on Stanford!

I was also waitlisted at Harvard REECA, but I'm still kind of holding out for them. Received FLAS Fellowships at Duke and UNC Chapel Hill that I'm considering. I'm also still waiting to hear from Columbia Harriman Institute (come on, Columbia!). So, I am far from decided!

What was your experience with the Harvard waitlist? I'm hoping to hear something more concrete from them this week as to whether there may be any open spots.

I got the small envelope from Harvard in Feb - surprised it was the waitlist and not the reject. I don't think Harriman (or Davis, for that matter) fits my research profile as well as Stanford does. Those were the only three programs I applied for (in Russian Studies that is). 

Either way, I like the fact CREEES is a 1 year program, small, and otherwise pretty modular. Also Cali Cali. 

I don't think Harvard will give much in the way of aid for admitted waitlist students. They only have a limited number of FLAS and as a MA program, this is supposed to be a profit machine. I really wouldn't consider anything that wasn't funded, to be honest.

Hello everyone.  I'm attending the University of Pittsburgh's GSPIA program for International Development, but my area of focus is Russian and East European Studies.  I also work at their Center for Russian and East European Studies at the moment.

Just received a letter that I am an alternate for the 2013-2014 FLAS at Pitt.  Do people ever turn down the FLAS?  I'm not hopeful.  

The FLAS is a good sell, and in many situations, it would be foolish not to take it. However, if someone was awarded a FLAS for a MA program at one school and a fully funded PhD track at another, it might be quite reasonable to turn it down. 

There's no reason to lose hope, but it's definitely less ideal than getting the award without the drama.

I'm in the same boat with FLAS alternate status at UNC. I know at least one person turned it down at UNC last year. It's not as unlikely as your probably think. However, while I have not lost hope, I am currently planning for life without it. Anyway, congrats on Pitt and good luck!

Hi Everyone:

I know I am getting in this late in the game. I applied to the programs at Wisconsin, Ohio State, and UMich and got accepted to all of them. I dropped the ball a little bit though and only applied for FLAS at Wisconsin, however I got it after a short time on the alternate list to study BCS and now, since I have funding there am heavily leaning toward going there. Anyone have any comments on Wisconsin's programs at all, especially compared to the other programs? In reading through these posts, I see Ohio State and Michigan talked about much more than Wisconsin. Also, if I do end up going to Wisconsin, I need to take first year BCS over the summer and will likely be at Pitt for that. Anyone else spending their summer there?

Also, any Miami University grads on this website? Havighurst Center anyone?

Anyone have any comments on Wisconsin's programs at all, especially compared to the other programs? In reading through these posts, I see Ohio State and Michigan talked about much more than Wisconsin.

I just got back from visiting Madison and CREECA last week. My interest is in Central Asia, so a lot of my questions related to resources specific to that region. I would say the big thing that stands out from other programs I'm considering is how small it is. Apparently there are only 4 students currently in the program. Which can be great, because it felt like there's a lot of support for those students. But I worry that it can also be constraining. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions about my visit there.

IvanBezdomnii - I decided on UNC, so I guess I will see you in the fall! Have you heard anything about your FLAS alternate status, yet?

Very cool. I have not heard anything back either way yet. But, I guess I was not really expecting to hear either way untl after April 15. It would not surprise me if some people are yte to make their decisions. Did you recieve a FLAS?

Edited by IvanBezdomnii

Ivan Bezdomnii and bg13, I am seriously considering UNC's MA program. Can you tell me what tipped the balance for you in UNC's favor, because I'm feeling pretty indecisive right now. Thanks! :)

Ivan - I'm an alternate, too, and I haven't heard anything. I don't think I'll get it anyway though because UNC isn't teaching my level of Polish and that's the language I applied for. So I'm starting Russian instead (I think I'm going to enroll in the intensive levels at Duke).

Hey cml - I worked with one of the professors in my region a lot as an undergrad and wanting to continue working with them was my main reasoning. Also, I like the size of the typical UNC group. They usually enroll at least 7-8, which is small but not so small that you feel as much pressure (not sure if that makes sense). I'm also not sure if I want to pursue a fully professional path or academic, and UNC makes it flexible to choose either. I hope that helps some! Good luck! :)

cml - I guess you're lucky we're nice people since it's in our best interests to disuade you considering you got an FLAS :D

I'm more interested in pursuing an academic track, likely a PhD in history after this, so the opportunity to work with Donald Raleigh who's one of the best guys in the field was one of the deciding factors. Additionally, the huge amount of relevant resources related to my field was another big factor, they have a great library of slavic and east european materials in addition to a wonderful collection of databases. Personally, another big factor was the opportunity to continue studying Russian. I graduated in 2011 and figured I probably needed to shake off the rust and refine and improve my language skills before I pursue a PhD. Of course, being from the north the weather in NC was definitely not a negative. Additionally, I consulted my undergraduate professors and they all vouched for the program. It has a great reputation.

Other pluses that weren't necessarily deciding factors are the fact that Chapel Hill does seem like a very cool place to live. The staff and faculty have been very friendly and accomodating responding to all my questions and concerns. They even extended a deadline on a TAship for me after I got alternate status for FLAS. The program size, as bg13 pointed out, seems to be good. Not too many students. I wouldn't want a program with only 3-4 students, not because of pressure concerns, just simply because being around the same 2-3 other people constantly for two years can be trying.

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is just evaluate your specific research interests and see what program best suits your specific interests, it may not end up being the "strongest" school from which you recieved an acceptance. Also, e-mail faculty you are interested in working with at each program you're still interested in and see if they are both willing and availible to work with you. That could heavily sway your decision.

Best of luck in making your decision!

BTW If you don't mind where did you go as an undergraduate and what year did you graduate?

Hi Everyone:

I know I am getting in this late in the game. I applied to the programs at Wisconsin, Ohio State, and UMich and got accepted to all of them. I dropped the ball a little bit though and only applied for FLAS at Wisconsin, however I got it after a short time on the alternate list to study BCS and now, since I have funding there am heavily leaning toward going there. Anyone have any comments on Wisconsin's programs at all, especially compared to the other programs? In reading through these posts, I see Ohio State and Michigan talked about much more than Wisconsin. Also, if I do end up going to Wisconsin, I need to take first year BCS over the summer and will likely be at Pitt for that. Anyone else spending their summer there?

Also, any Miami University grads on this website? Havighurst Center anyone?

I can speak for Pitt's Summer Language Institute program; I took first year intensive BCS and Russian there.  It's excellent and actually fun, despite the long days.  Overwhelming at times.  I'll be in Pitt this summer, though working for the Russian and East European center there, not taking SLI.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. I got my FLAS even if it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I applied for Russian at UNC and got wait-listed. But I was offered and accepted a FLAS from Duke to study Romanian. I'll still be going to UNC, but I have to take Romanian at Duke. Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, I'm very happy to be funded and I think a background in Romanian will help my career in the long run and will certainly help me get grants for any future research. I mean how many schools offer Romanian? Should help me stand out in the future. I plan to continue with Russian at the same time and plan to apply for a summer FLAS for Russian from either UNC or Duke.

Out of curiosity has anyone here studied Romanian before? I know the basic facts about the language, but not much more than that. Right now I'm trying to brainstorm some research topics where I can use both Romanian and Russian.