Russian/East European Studies

The only 'downside' is that if i do my MA at U of T then i can't do a PhD here (at least, it's not recommended to do 3 degrees at one school from what i hear) but i'm just getting ahead of myself here!

I've heard mixed opinions on this, and while I understand the reasoning, I find it difficult to believe it applies as much to elite schools like Toronto, where I would expect any Canadian would be very happy to do three degrees-- and which people from everywhere else also view with great respect. That would be a good question to put to your professors, though, if you plan to continue to a PhD.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard mixed opinions on this, and while I understand the reasoning, I find it difficult to believe it applies as much to elite schools like Toronto, where I would expect any Canadian would be very happy to do three degrees-- and which people from everywhere else also view with great respect. That would be a good question to put to your professors, though, if you plan to continue to a PhD.

Well when I told my professor that it ruled out my chances of doing a PhD at U of T, he said. "well at that point, you want to go to a better school". Funnily enough, i know one of the professors did all 3 of her degrees at Chicago, but then again... it's Chicago!

The U of T politics department's website actually advises people against doing 3 degrees at U of T.

Students are advised not to pursue all three degrees at the University of Toronto. We recommend that students who recently completed a BA at the University of Toronto, and who are considering PhD work in the department, consider pursuing MA work elsewhere. Please consult the MA Supervisor for further information

I've talked to some of the professors in the CERES program about placements and they've told me they have graduates doing their PhD at oxford so at least i know it's good preparation. The most appealing part of this program is the language study which i feel is essential for PhD.

Just out of curiousity, did you do an MA in Poli sci or east european studies program?

I also assume you're keeping up with events in Ukraine? Sometimes i lament the fact that i was born the year the Soviet Union dissolved because my professors always tell the class stories of them travelling through the USSR. I feel like i missed out on a piece of history which will never repeat itself.

Edited by nakuu

I have not been able to find a clear answer to this, but do any of you have any idea if FLAS Fellowships will be available for the 2014-2015 academic year? I know Title IV has faced some cuts, especially for the Russian and Eurasian Studies field - although now government officials may be thinking twice with what has been going on in Ukraine. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/world/europe/american-experts-on-russia.html?_r=2  (recent article on the deficit of American experts on Russia). 

http://aseees.org/newsnet/2013-03.pdf (specific information on Title IV)

I have not been able to find a clear answer to this, but do any of you have any idea if FLAS Fellowships will be available for the 2014-2015 academic year? I know Title IV has faced some cuts, especially for the Russian and Eurasian Studies field - although now government officials may be thinking twice with what has been going on in Ukraine. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/world/europe/american-experts-on-russia.html?_r=2  (recent article on the deficit of American experts on Russia). 

http://aseees.org/newsnet/2013-03.pdf (specific information on Title IV)

That's the pressing question for me at the moment. I've been awarded a "conditional" FLAS award, contingent apon the US Dept or Education's decision to fund the FLAS center that made the award. This situation makes it difficult to plan for next year. If the FLAS comes through, I'll be delighted. But if it doesn't, I don't know whether I'll be able to attend. They aren't anticipating a decision until summer :/

Hello, I have been reading up and thought I should join. 

I applied to UCL - IMESS program. Am waiting to hear back on whether or not if I will get in. My area in concentration is Russia but that is because HSE has ties to Gazprom and yea...I wanna work at Gazprom as an intern :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm actually a math student right now, but my undergrad major focused heavily on Russian, and I have a lot of experience living and studying there. I'm writing because I have a room near campus at Indiana University that I'm trying to sublet for this summer - it would be perfect for anyone doing SWSEEL. Much cheaper than the dorms, and better location too. I also did SWSEEL last summer so could share my experiences with it for anyone interested. Feel free to reply and we can get in contact privately if you're interested in subletting.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone ended up deciding to go to Indiana this fall. I'll be starting there (MA CEUS) and it'd be nice to know if anyone else will be a newbie there too!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool! Have you heard back from any schools? I'm so nervous because I don't know when I'll hear back

The earliest I expect anything is very late February. I'm also super nervous and there is not much to do to calm down, but I did search for my schools & programs in the search results and got a sense of a calendar that way. It seems schools are pretty consistent from year to year in terms of when they send out decisions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I applied to Georgetown CERES and SAIS MA with Eurasia concentration. I've heard I'll hear this coming week about CERES and I think SAIS hands out decisions on March 13. Anyone else pretty intent on Georgetown CERES? 

Hi all, I applied to Georgetown CERES and SAIS MA with Eurasia concentration. I've heard I'll hear this coming week about CERES and I think SAIS hands out decisions on March 13. Anyone else pretty intent on Georgetown CERES? 

I'm also waiting to hear from them. Georgetown normally wouldn't be my first choice but looks like it will all depend on funding. 

Just heard back from Georgetown CERES that I've officially been accepted, and with pretty solid funding. I don't imagine tuning them down, but I'll wait to see what SAIS says. Has anybody else heard anything?

I've heard back from several schools as well, and have gotten accepted into both Columbia and Yale. Now that letters have been sent, have you guys decided where you're going to go? Which factors (besides finances/funding) are influencing your decision the most?

I've been accepted into University of Michigan, Columbia and NYU, rejected by Stanford and Georgetown. Honestly funding is such a big influencer that sadly not much else matters. But still, as much as I would love to spend 2 years in Ann Arbor, now that I'm almost 30 and will need a job before I graduate, I feel like being in New York will be a serious advantage. That, having a professor I want to work with, and funding = looks like I'm going to NYU.

Have you made a decision exponto?

Unfortunately, I am in a similar situation where funding is the major deciding factor. I am still waiting to hear from Oxford, but right now it looks as I'm going to Yale, due to funding and also, a professor I want to work with. They don't have a BCS instructor though, which is something that I am trying to figure out as it is very important for my studies since I mostly focus on the Balkans. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...