Radio silence

nervousnelly

A number of schools that I applied to have already sent out acceptances and waitlist, and I haven't heard anything from them. My friends keep telling me, "Oh, you never know," but I think that if I didn't hear from the schools that have done this, I'm out of the running. Does anyone know whether schools ever have second "waves" of admits, or admit people they didn't invite to "prospective student" day? I'd like to be realistic about what is going on.

A number of schools that I applied to have already sent out acceptances and waitlist, and I haven't heard anything from them. My friends keep telling me, "Oh, you never know," but I think that if I didn't hear from the schools that have done this, I'm out of the running. Does anyone know whether schools ever have second "waves" of admits, or admit people they didn't invite to "prospective student" day? I'd like to be realistic about what is going on.

Many schools don't formally notify applicants that they've been placed on the waitlist. Have you tried calling the schools to ask them about your status?

I haven't called them yet -- but if they've told some people that they are waitlisted, wouldn't they have told everyone? I guess what I'm asking is, do they ever go back to the pile after the first set of notices are sent out?

No. My husband wasn't told that he was wait listed until he sent a follow-up email to the admissions committee. Had he not emailed them, he would have never been officially notified of his status.

I keep telling myself that 'no news is good news' right?

that means i'm still game

I know for one of the schools misplaced my transcripts so my application was officially completed until early february

they should feel bad and just accept me hahaha

I like the "no news is good news" view. Is that actually accurate?

I applied to 6 schools and haven't heard anything other than from U of Maryland. They sent me an email a week ago or so, just saying that my application has been reviewed and submitted to the specific department for which I applied, so I guess that is a good sign. Another update would be excellent.

I'd be interested in conducting a study or seeing the results of one that could correlate the volume of alcohol consumed by potential grad students from mid-February through mid-April. I bet the results would be hilariously staggering.

Giselle is that you? How's the baby doing?

I like the "no news is good news" view. Is that actually accurate?

I applied to 6 schools and haven't heard anything other than from U of Maryland. They sent me an email a week ago or so, just saying that my application has been reviewed and submitted to the specific department for which I applied, so I guess that is a good sign. Another update would be excellent.

I'd be interested in conducting a study or seeing the results of one that could correlate the volume of alcohol consumed by potential grad students from mid-February through mid-April. I bet the results would be hilariously staggering.

I'd be interested in conducting a study or seeing the results of one that could correlate the volume of alcohol consumed by potential grad students from mid-February through mid-April.

And chocolate!

So far I have one rejection in hand and radio silence from five others. My current school has not yet met but the funds are tight (said explicitly by adcom professors). Three of the silent schools have given some results to others (but none in my subfield), and two are just...silent.

laugh.gif Ha!

I'll be able to tell you once Tommy dumps Giselle and realizes I'm his soul mate. (yeah, right.)

I like how you refer to him with such affection: "Tommy."

To the rest of us, he is just Tom. Or Mr. Brady.

To his parents, he is probably Thomas. Or Thomas Edward Patrick - if he's in trouble.

Edited by jergensultrahealing

I like how you refer to him with such affection: "Tommy."

To the rest of us, he is just Tom. Or Mr. Brady.

To his parents, he is probably Thomas. Or Thomas Edward Patrick - if he's in trouble.

His family actually calls him "Tommy". I only call him that because any of my guy friends who are also Tom or Thomas are called "Tommy", too, so it's more that habit.

I also call him "the greatest QB alive". :)

Greatest...after Drew Brees?

What was the deal between him and Bridget Moynihan (sp)? Did he just serve as a "donor," or is he paying child support too?

His family actually calls him "Tommy". I only call him that because any of my guy friends who are also Tom or Thomas are called "Tommy", too, so it's more that habit.

I also call him "the greatest QB alive". :)

And chocolate!

So far I have one rejection in hand and radio silence from five others. My current school has not yet met but the funds are tight (said explicitly by adcom professors). Three of the silent schools have given some results to others (but none in my subfield), and two are just...silent.

I see Penn is a place you've applied--I've applied there, too, different dept, but I've done some sleuthing around and a previous attempt a few years ago, and I know my dept doesn't notify 'til the end of feb/beginning of March. Just to say...Keep the faith, hope, whatever! These humanities peeps are taking their time. :D

Greatest...after Drew Brees?

What was the deal between him and Bridget Moynihan (sp)? Did he just serve as a "donor," or is he paying child support too?

Drew Brees? Okay, yeah, sure, best current QB based on what? His one Super Bowl win? His stellar post-season showing against the Seahawks? His 2010 season MVP? Feel free to jump in and back up that statement any time you want.

He pays child support. That life sucking trap tried to force him to marry her by getting knocked up. She's so crazy. Every time I catch the end of "I Robot" on TV, I'm really sad because she's not actually killed.cool.gif

I'm in a similar boat. A major wave of PhD program rejections went out last week, but no word yet from my department. I personally think it is a bad idea to contact the dept to figure out what is going on, especially if they are still within their decision window. You might be able to contact the dept if you have caller id blocked and use one of those strange voice manipulators....just kidding! Good luck out there.

Random stupid question: Do they alert you if you're rejected? Is the "no news is good news" better? Or is it generally "no news means you're not getting in anywhere"?

They do alert you if you're rejected. Sometimes it's quick, like ripping off a band-aid. Sometimes it's passive aggressive, like being dumped by someone who's blaming you for your shortcomings. :huh:

No news is just no news, unfortunately/fortunately. Schools appear to have their own time lines.