The State of Wisconsin (In More Ways Than One)

marvelboy

Briefly about me: I work in NYC, love my job, but am tenatively pursuing dream PhD in related field. Hence, I only applied to three schools and at the very last minute. One of these schools was the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Great school, especially in my field (Communication Arts). And then, something odd happens. Scott Walker decides to screw the public and cut funding. This, of course, happens RIGHT when my program is deciding who to let in.

Today, I e-mailed my department's secretary and point blank asked her if this recent development is affecting the decision making process. She said yes, that they're going to be two weeks later than usual in sending out notifications (which is right around now), and that funding AND admissions are up in the air.

I don't really have a question but I merely wanted to state the obvious: life isn't fair. And neither is Scott Walker.

It's not the only state that will be having this problem.

We've been having cuts to higher ed funding for the last couple of years- and many of the Cali schools are in the same boat.

If you want to be more "secure" in future funding, look into private colleges that rely less on state funds. Past that.... Not much that can be done. As far as things go, funding students (many from out of the state) for graduate programs is probably down on the list of fiscally responsible moves when you're heavily in debt, I'm not surprised to see it cut.

Wisconsin is deffinetly not the only state that is going to have this problem, it's just the first. Cuts are comming accross the board. Everything will get less than it needs. Hopefully it will help things in the future. For now, I try to remember that when I get upset about something losing funding that someone else feels as passionately about the things I deem worthy as losing funding. Something's gotta give and I'll take it with a grain of salt that right now that might be some of the things I hold near and dear. It sucks, but I wouldn't jump to not fair.

So they are still making decisions in the Department of Communication Arts? I know that they've already made them in my track (Media and Cultural Studies) and in was in the beginning of February, and also in Communication Science (I know that from a thread on the "Communications" board that in this track they have already accepted people they wanted).

I'm in the same boat. Not really sure what is going on, I'm glad you emailed to check in as I've been debating whether or not to do so. I interviewed for the MCS track back in early January and haven't heard anything since. I went through the interview process last year and was rejected in early Feb. I don't really know what to think at this point, as it seems they sent out at least one rejection. It's my top choice and a fantastic fit for me, and the only one I'm waiting on at this point, as I've been rejected from the other two programs I applied to.

Anyway, no news on my side. Just wanted to share in my anxiety over this wait.

I interviewed for the MCS track back in early January and haven't heard anything since. I went through the interview process last year and was rejected in early Feb. I don't really know what to think at this point, as it seems they sent out at least one rejection.

Yeah, that was me ;)

Yeah, that was me ;)

I'm sorry to hear that :( I was really bummed last year when I was rejected, though it was a really nice personal email rejection, which lessened it a bit I guess. I'm not feeling very optimistic at this point. It's just such a great program that I'm trying not to give up hope on it just yet.

Part of the problem with Wisconsin is the unions themselves (not for the reasons you might think).

If the unions actually mobilized people to vote for Democrats in November, their state legislature would have never flipped and none of this would be happening.

(I support unions but detest political apathy; the lack of voting that occurred in November really annoys me)