SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?

I just got a email from Matt Clemons from confirming my acceptance. I also received a $20,000 SIPA fellowship and was selected to be an International Fellow with another $2,500 on top. The email stated that the online system wouldn't be updated until next week so everyone waiting can take heart, you might be in the scholarship pool.

I just got a email from Matt Clemons from confirming my acceptance. I also received a $20,000 SIPA fellowship and was selected to be an International Fellow with another $2,500 on top. The email stated that the online system wouldn't be updated until next week so everyone waiting can take heart, you might be in the scholarship pool.

was the fellowship info and the IFP info included in your admission letter or did that info come separate in that e-mail from Matt? Thanks in advance

Wouldn't it be a better if all admits are informed asap, then allocate financial awards to those who accept offers...

"The SIPA Admissions Committee actually spends twice the amount of fellowship money we have. Why do we do this? Because history shows that not everyone we award funding to will attend. Thus we greatly overspend which means that if an applicant declines their award, we cannot simply shift that money to another applicant." (Sipa Blog, March 15, 2010)

Wouldn't it be a better if all admits are informed asap, then allocate financial awards to those who accept offers...

"The SIPA Admissions Committee actually spends twice the amount of fellowship money we have. Why do we do this? Because history shows that not everyone we award funding to will attend. Thus we greatly overspend which means that if an applicant declines their award, we cannot simply shift that money to another applicant." (Sipa Blog, March 15, 2010)

I suppose a lot more people wouldn't accept their offers without the financial award...

After 11 long days, finally received an answer!!! I'm in!!!! In the last 10%. But unfortunately, with no $$$. I will have a hard time deciding where to go, since I received a good amount of money from Fletcher.

Luiz, congratulations! Did you receive the e-mail today? I still haven't heard from them and it's not particularly reassuring to know I'm in the bottom <10% (is this figure official?). At this point I just want to be able to weigh my options.

Edited by troika

Just received a note to log into the website. I was accepted! Unfortunately, I did not receive the IFP award.

To those who are still waiting - stay patient (go play sudoku/tetris and find a meaningless distraction) don't read too much into the timeline, and best of luck!

Thanks, its down to the same 3 schools for me , can we start a comparative study?

Hey Lotus Seed maybe we can start putting in our profiles in the Wrapping it up International Relations thread ?

So I got in as well .. No funding :(

It wiill be decisions between sipa, msfs and sais..

Which one is best? My goal is to become king of mars.. Can you help me?

On 3/17/2011 at 10:59 PM, SubjectNotebook said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Sure,

Previous Degrees and GPA's: Bachelor in Political Science with a minor in Middle Eastern Studies 3.48/3.66

GRE Scores (Verbal/Quantitative/Analytical Writing): 700/720/5.0

Previous Work Experience: Interned in college for a Defense Lobbyist in DC. Taught 7th and 8th grade for a year. 3.5 years as an Army Military Intelligence Officer with a deployment to Iraq commanding a tactical collection team.

Math/Econ Background: Calculus I & II, Intro to Economics, Statistics

Foreign Language Background: Studied Arabic in college but am not proficient.

Recommendations: Two former commanding officers and one professor from ND.

In my SOP and my essay for the IFP I talked about my interest in Shiite Extremist groups and there inclusion into the governments of Lebanon and Iraq. I had done undergraduate research on the topic and have practical experience from my deployment to central and southern Iraq.

I'm trying to decide between Columbia, Fletcher, and Georgetown (Security Studies). I received roughly equivalent funding from all of them. I recently visited Tufts and loved it. It's a small, flexible program with a strong faculty. The professors actively work with students to arrange research and internship oppurtunities over the summers. The oppurtunity to work with Vali Nasr is extremely appealing. I was ready to sign on with Tufts until I got the email from Columbia about two hours after leaving Medford. The IFP oppurtunity seems cool although I don't know exactly how strong Columbia is in Security Studies. I'm planning on visiting both Columbia and Gtown within the next few weeks to help with the decision.