SIPA (Columbia) Thread

wow - Ive been a silent reader of the forum for ever - it was comforting to know that I wasn't the only one suffering from the neurosis that characterizes waiting for decisions. I'm so unhappy to be one of the 35% that's still waiting....this could potentially go on for at least 10 days...and in this alternate universe of waiting, thats a lifetime. Congratulations to folks with the admits!

*sigh*

I got in as well. International student here from Nigeria! No funding though :( I am happy to get in though. I was wondering, did anyone apply for the International Fellows Program? I am curious to know if they have a different notification for people who applied or is this already part of the official decision. Oh well, time for me to celebrate....I will pray for the other folks on this forum to get in. Good luck.

wow - Ive been a silent reader of the forum for ever - it was comforting to know that I wasn't the only one suffering from the neurosis that characterizes waiting for decisions. I'm so unhappy to be one of the 35% that's still waiting....this could potentially go on for at least 10 days...and in this alternate universe of waiting, thats a lifetime. Congratulations to folks with the admits!

*sigh*

Edited by abogs78

I got in as well. International student here from Nigeria! No funding though :( I am happy to get in though. I was wondering, did anyone apply for the International Fellows Program? I am curious to know if they have a different notification for people who applied or is this already part of the official decision. Oh well, time for me to celebrate....I will pray for the other folks on this forum to get in. Good luck.

Congratulations! Even I applied for the IFP but my letter didn't say anything about the IFP. So I am assuming I didn't get the IFP.

Those of you who got accepted anyone international? I haven't heard anything yet. I'm freaking out.

International. Got in. MPA. (btw : SIPA wants us in NYC on July 25th, international students only)

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!

Braindead (funny forum name :)) I sent an e-mail to admissions to ask if they are making a separate decision for the IFP. I will let you know if get anything from them.

Congratulations! Even I applied for the IFP but my letter didn't say anything about the IFP. So I am assuming I didn't get the IFP.

I have, and I haven't heard yet. Ah, the wait! I've applied for the MPA=DP - could that be the reason? Have you heard, lotus_seed?

DIESEL2011 mentioned that the Committee that reviews the applications for MPA-DP is separate from the rest of the SIPA apps, so it's not really clear when our decisions will be released. I personally assume it might take them a little more time, because the program is highly selective and generally the majority of candidates are very qualified. Let's keep waiting patiently! :)

Oh - I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Waiting patiently is all I've got!! :-)

DIESEL2011 mentioned that the Committee that reviews the applications for MPA-DP is separate from the rest of the SIPA apps, so it's not really clear when our decisions will be released. I personally assume it might take them a little more time, because the program is highly selective and generally the majority of candidates are very qualified. Let's keep waiting patiently! :)

I've also applied for the MPA-DP and heard nothing yet. I've not heard back from any of my schools yet, so still looking for my first decision.

Oh great - so none of us seem to have heard.

I've applied to pretty much the same programs as you - with the exception of SAIS. I heard from Wagner in Feb end, and it looks like their intimation process is taking some time.

All the best!

I've also applied for the MPA-DP and heard nothing yet. I've not heard back from any of my schools yet, so still looking for my first decision.

Braindead (funny forum name :)) I sent an e-mail to admissions to ask if they are making a separate decision for the IFP. I will let you know if get anything from them.

I ran out of time to apply to the IFP program. Frankly, at the time another essay seemed insurmountable. But during my research in January I noticed the IFP website mentioned that current students (university-wide) could apply (during the fall semester maybe?). That makes me think that there is a chance people won't hear about the IFP application until later. This is all speculation though, I really have no idea.

I'd be interested to know if you hear back Abogs78. Thanks!

I am wondering if I could send SIPA an e-mail and ask when we can expect MPA-DP decisions (specifically).

It's the only program I've applied to and this wait is truly testing my last ounces of patience. :)

Oh great - so none of us seem to have heard.

I've applied to pretty much the same programs as you - with the exception of SAIS. I heard from Wagner in Feb end, and it looks like their intimation process is taking some time.

All the best!

I am wondering if I could send SIPA an e-mail and ask when we can expect MPA-DP decisions (specifically).

It's the only program I've applied to and this wait is truly testing my last ounces of patience. :)

I wouldn't recommend it, based on what I've read it doesn't seem like they are in a position to answer questions about specific timelines right now. I bet you'll hear in the next week or so.

I know it's hard!

I heard .. and I guess it's only a rumor .. that the remaining 35% consists of two groups.

1. the group (15%) that is considered for financial aid

2. the group who's applications need additional viewing (20%)

Could anybody confirm or deny this rumor?

Thanks

Agreed with SarahL. They're not going to rescind an offer due to it (so I guess there's no direct harm), but they did specifically ask in the blog for people not to do that ("neither I nor my staff can tell you the exact date when you will receive your decision. Our goal is to release decisions as soon as possible, but if you email or call with this question, our answer will be that we are working as quickly as we are able and you will be notified by email once a decision has been posted"). Even if they do get back to you, chances are, with the volume of emails that they're getting at this time of year, you'll get the admissions decision before they even get around to your email.

I wouldn't recommend it, based on what I've read it doesn't seem like they are in a position to answer questions about specific timelines right now. I bet you'll hear in the next week or so.

I know it's hard!

Yeah, I don't think that would be a good idea either. The more emails they have to answer - the more it will slow down the process.

Any concrete information they are able to give will probably be posted in the admissions blog.

This was in one of the posts on the admissions blog earlier...I believe when they are discussing different "groups" of applications. I'm sure you can find it if you go back a bit in the blog :)

I heard .. and I guess it's only a rumor .. that the remaining 35% consists of two groups.

Thanks

I think they give financial aid to approximately 15% of the accepted applicants.....not to 15% of the applicants....that's my guess!

Thanks

I think at this point everything we discuss are pure assumptions. I was going over the SIPA thread from last year - there were people who received "waitlist" decisions over 2 weeks after the initial notifications went out. Clearly, there is no logic as to how/when decisions are made. Therefore, we really cannot know what the status of the remaining 35% of applicants is. Let's be confident that the Admissions Committee is doing their best to provide everyone with timely and satisfactory decisions. :)

I think they give financial aid to approximately 15% of the accepted applicants.....not to 15% of the applicants....that's my guess!

Sarah L, I will let you know if I hear anything. Good luck with your application...hope you hear some good news.

I ran out of time to apply to the IFP program. Frankly, at the time another essay seemed insurmountable. But during my research in January I noticed the IFP website mentioned that current students (university-wide) could apply (during the fall semester maybe?). That makes me think that there is a chance people won't hear about the IFP application until later. This is all speculation though, I really have no idea.

I'd be interested to know if you hear back Abogs78. Thanks!

Over 2 weeks????? I'm not sure I will be able to survive.....this is killing me!

Has anyone received any news today regarding admissions?

I think at this point everything we discuss are pure assumptions. I was going over the SIPA thread from last year - there were people who received "waitlist" decisions over 2 weeks after the initial notifications went out. Clearly, there is no logic as to how/when decisions are made. Therefore, we really cannot know what the status of the remaining 35% of applicants is. Let's be confident that the Admissions Committee is doing their best to provide everyone with timely and satisfactory decisions. :)

Over 2 weeks????? I'm not sure I will be able to survive.....this is killing me!

Has anyone received any news today regarding admissions?

I didn't know about the results part of the gradcafe site until quite recently. But this is probably your best source for up to date info about decisions. Alternatively, you can navigate there by selecting "results" in the toolbar at the top of the page and narrowing down the results for SIPA.