Pick me up!

Neuronista

OK people. I just got my first result yesterday. I was rejected by UT Austin pharmacology program.

I want to do a PhD either in pharmacology (neuropharmacology) or neuroscience. I was looking for a top ranked, prestigious program in Texas, and which of course meets my research interests. UT Austin was my #1 choice. It has the bonus (in addition to their good program) of college spirit. I liked their community and their social and extracurricular activities they have. It seemed to me that life there was going to be fun. I also really wanted to live in Austin. I don't know how to describe this, I just liked the idea of me going there. But unfortunately, I'm not.

I've also applied to Baylor Neuroscience, UT Southwestern Medical Center Neuroscience, and University of North Texas pharmacology and neuroscience program. I received no decisions from any of these yet. But I got interviewed at Baylor and I felt really good and excited at first and felt that I may get in, but then when I got rejected by UT Austin, I felt like crap and that I might be rejected anywhere else too.

I need someone to make me feel better about this. Are the other programs I mentioned better than UT Austin? Should I look at the issue in a different way than I am now? Has anyone studied at Baylor or UT Southwestern and is happy?

I appreciate your input rolleyes.gif

You have every right to mourn a rejection from your first choice. I've had my fair share of rejections. Don't start thinking of alternatives right away. Give yourself some time to mend, clear your head, be a kid again. Go eat ice cream and play in the snow. Watch ridiculous videos on youtube. Cry, scream, laugh, skip.

Hug! Hang in there.

I can't speak to your programs specifically, but just remember that a significant percentage of grad school admission is some combination of dumb luck and good timing. Think of each application as a separate entity: being rejected from one has no bearing on whether you'll be accepted at another, and you can't second guess the process based on the rankings of the schools. Grad Cafe is full of people who were rejected by the lower or middle ranked schools they applied to, only to be accepted to the top program(s) in their field. Personally, I got in to the lowest and highest ranked programs I applied to, but was completely shut out by the middle ones. Point being: don't overthink it. smile.gif

It sucks to start off with a rejection--especially when you were intellectually and emotionally invested in the program--but hang in there. In this situation, it's helped me to remind myself that I can still work at the university/live in the city someday, after I have my PhD. It sounds like you want to stay in Texas long-term, so it's not outside the realm of possibility for you to, say, do a post-doc at UT Austin...

Space-cat... You're my new best friend :) That was so comforting! Like a written version of Ben & Jerry's chocolate ice cream with brownies. Thank you!! :D

Awww, thanks! biggrin.gif I do enjoy being compared to ice cream.

be a kid again. Go eat ice cream and play in the snow. Watch ridiculous videos on youtube. Cry, scream, laugh, skip.

Hug! Hang in there.

Thank you so much! I was actually watching a kid playing today and I thought to myself: oh how I wish to be so carefree like him. You now seconded my thoughts. I think I have to be like that every now and then. I need it for my own sanity! What could be better than playing and eating ice cream tongue.gif

Sorry to hear you were rejected too. I hope you get good news from the other ones. Good luck

I can't speak to your programs specifically, but just remember that a significant percentage of grad school admission is some combination of dumb luck and good timing. Think of each application as a separate entity: being rejected from one has no bearing on whether you'll be accepted at another, and you can't second guess the process based on the rankings of the schools. Grad Cafe is full of people who were rejected by the lower or middle ranked schools they applied to, only to be accepted to the top program(s) in their field. Personally, I got in to the lowest and highest ranked programs I applied to, but was completely shut out by the middle ones. Point being: don't overthink it. smile.gif

Thank you. I feel so much better now. I really hope I could get into the other programs, that would be such a relief.

In this situation, it's helped me to remind myself that I can still work at the university/live in the city someday, after I have my PhD. It sounds like you want to stay in Texas long-term, so it's not outside the realm of possibility for you to, say, do a post-doc at UT Austin...

What a wonderful idea. Why haven't I thought of that!!! You are my hero smile.gif

Space-cat... You're my new best friend :) That was so comforting! Like a written version of Ben & Jerry's chocolate ice cream with brownies. Thank you!! :D

Exactly! And it's really ice cream with brownies that I need right now biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your replies. You made me feel much better. I'm still nervous about the other results, though. Do you think I should send an e-mail to the other schools asking about decisions or should I just be silently patient?

Another question: I was interviewed by Baylor by phone (I'm an out-of state applicant), and the program administrator said I'll be interviewed by two faculty members but I only had one of them speak to me. He said the other person should contact me soon but she didn't. Do you think I should e-mail and ask about this? Also, there are a couple faculty whose research I'm interested in and I would like to join their labs (if I'm hopefully admitted, let's be optimistic cool.gif). Should I e-mail them or is it too early? Some people say I should. But you see, I hate to be pushy or snobby like I'm so over-confident that I'm getting in. Is e-mailing them OK?

Thank you so much and good luck in your admissions and studies and every thing you do!

Edited by PhD Pharmacist

I am in the same situation....just 15 minutes ago....I was rejected from my number one choice. Honestly it sucks but you know what....we will all get through it. The one thing this website has done for me is shown me that I am not alone. As I posted just before I found out about my rejection, there are over 38,000 people supporting me....regardless of my admission status.

My best advice to you is feel it for a while...and then move on. Remember: We determine how we respond to a situation. Let us not be judged by the rejections but by the willingness to put ourselves out there (softly the music of America the Beautiful begins to play). Obstacles are only those things we see when we take our eye off the goals. (music increasing, crowds begin to swell with energy). Remember, when one doors closes...another opens (a mother craddles her new born child; a vetern stands to salutes; the music intensifies). We live with no regrets because we tried...we are the little engines that could....keep trying...never give up.....(a tear runs down the cheek of soldier; Glenn Beck sobs--no surprise!). And never....ever....forget.......in the immortal words of the late Anne Nicole Smith...."Do you like my body".....opps..I mean....in the vien of a Mastercard commercial....Submitting supporting detail transcripts: $4.44; Non-refundable PhD Application Fee: $65, Smiling because you realize how great your are: PRICELESS! (the crowds cheer, applause fills the air, and you are still smiling)

I know that just helped me..... we will all be fine! Right?

I am in the same situation....just 15 minutes ago....I was rejected from my number one choice. Honestly it sucks but you know what....we will all get through it. The one thing this website has done for me is shown me that I am not alone. As I posted just before I found out about my rejection, there are over 38,000 people supporting me....regardless of my admission status.

My best advice to you is feel it for a while...and then move on. Remember: We determine how we respond to a situation. Let us not be judged by the rejections but by the willingness to put ourselves out there (softly the music of America the Beautiful begins to play). Obstacles are only those things we see when we take our eye off the goals. (music increasing, crowds begin to swell with energy). Remember, when one doors closes...another opens (a mother craddles her new born child; a vetern stands to salutes; the music intensifies). We live with no regrets because we tried...we are the little engines that could....keep trying...never give up.....(a tear runs down the cheek of soldier; Glenn Beck sobs--no surprise!). And never....ever....forget.......in the immortal words of the late Anne Nicole Smith...."Do you like my body".....opps..I mean....in the vien of a Mastercard commercial....Submitting supporting detail transcripts: $4.44; Non-refundable PhD Application Fee: $65, Smiling because you realize how great your are: PRICELESS! (the crowds cheer, applause fills the air, and you are still smiling)

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif You just gave a big hard laugh! Thank you! And yes we will all be fine!

Sorry to hear you were rejected too. But as you said, we will all be fine. It's just a matter of time and we'll start getting our acceptances. And who knows, maybe our #1 choice may not be the right place for us anyway. Maybe we'll enjoy being at the places where we'll get accepted and be thankful that our ex- #1 choice did not take us.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh man... I wish my transcripts were that cheap. For the four schools I applied to, that was $96 in transcript costs.

Oh man... I wish my transcripts were that cheap. For the four schools I applied to, that was $96 in transcript costs.

I applied to 6 programs and had to send 6 different transcripts to each program (some programs also required two copies) for a grand total of $323!!! I have so many transcripts because I have my BA, MA, two undegrad study abroad transcripts, a summer class at another school, and an online class at another school. One of my study abroad transcripts was $25 each! Geez! It was a brutal affront to my credit card! Ouch!

I applied to 6 programs and had to send 6 different transcripts to each program (some programs also required two copies) for a grand total of $323!!! I have so many transcripts because I have my BA, MA, two undegrad study abroad transcripts, a summer class at another school, and an online class at another school. One of my study abroad transcripts was $25 each! Geez! It was a brutal affront to my credit card! Ouch!

Ohhhhhhhh don't remind me of application costs. I live abroad and I had to mail all my transcripts and documents by DHL . I had to pay to my undergad college to get these transcripts. Only this cost me around $210 including application fees. Let aside GRE fees and the fees I paid to the ECE to evaluate my transcripts because they are from a non-USA university. Sheesh!

Well, I am a Neuroscience candidate also, and I've heard excellent things about Baylor. I was sorely tempted to apply there, but wanted to be in the Northeast. They also seem to have the best stipend in the land! I think an acceptance there would be great.

Sorry about the other program. I was similarly sad about a rejection from UPenn Neuroscience, because there were so many great labs there...

>>I've also applied to Baylor Neuroscience, UT Southwestern Medical Center Neuroscience, and University of North Texas pharmacology and neuroscience program. I received no decisions from any of these yet. But I got interviewed at Baylor and I felt really good and excited at first and felt that I may get in, but then when I got rejected by UT Austin, I felt like crap and that I might be rejected anywhere else too.

Well, I am a Neuroscience candidate also, and I've heard excellent things about Baylor. I was sorely tempted to apply there, but wanted to be in the Northeast. They also seem to have the best stipend in the land! I think an acceptance there would be great.

Sorry about the other program. I was similarly sad about a rejection from UPenn Neuroscience, because there were so many great labs there...

>>I've also applied to Baylor Neuroscience, UT Southwestern Medical Center Neuroscience, and University of North Texas pharmacology and neuroscience program. I received no decisions from any of these yet. But I got interviewed at Baylor and I felt really good and excited at first and felt that I may get in, but then when I got rejected by UT Austin, I felt like crap and that I might be rejected anywhere else too.

I really hope Baylor will be a better alternative smile.gif

Sorry to here about UPenn. Don't worry, you'll hopefully get into one of those other programs you applied to. UPenn doesn't know what they have just missed wink.gif

BTW, what programs did you choose and why? What are the things that were important to you when you were looking for a program?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question: I was interviewed for the second time by one of the programs I've applied to. The interviewer asked me whether I've recieved any offers yet and I replied no. He kind of laughed and said, "good."

WHAT DOES HE MEAN???

:D :D :D

Fabulous, just fabulous! LMAO. This is great! Nothing like a little humor to keep things in perspective... biggrin.gif