Harris Decisions

madman

I am an international student and have not yet received that decision email from Harris...still waiting, but at this point waiting is probably not a good position to be in.

Same situation exactly here! To be honest I am fed up with this delay. Two days ago I was very anxious and looking at my emails every two minutes. It is madness, so I decided to leave it on its own. In any case I have a very good offer from JHU and I am seriously leaning towards it....

I wish good luck to all people waiting!

Tell me about it..it is frustrating to say the least. I am an international student too. How can an admissions program be run this way? I hope this is not a reflection of the overall program :angry: They said we will hear by March 15th, nothing....then between March 18th-22nd, still nothing...sucks sucks sucks......

Tell me about it..it is frustrating to say the least. I am an international student too. How can an admissions program be run this way? I hope this is not a reflection of the overall program :angry: They said we will hear by March 15th, nothing....then between March 18th-22nd, still nothing...sucks sucks sucks......

I save the best for the end. The status of my online application had not change until few days ago and the supporting materials that had arrived by DHL were indicated as still missing. After 5 emails, 4 phone calls and several clarifications, I was informed that the file was indeed complete and it was a processing mistake. But to reach there I was left in 20 days of uncertainty, they were telling me that the file is not here, the committee has it but it not sure that it is complete etc etc.....Bottom line, I thing they have serious organizational deficiencies but the university is great and I am sure that the quality of education someone is going to take from U.Chicago is better than many top class universities in the field.

No news good news?

I strongly suspect that decisions will be sent this friday... That`s just in time for Harvard´s admits that are waiting for the financial aid decisions...

QFT. I also think they're waiting for decisions from those who were offered the Dean's scholarship early on.

Seriously?! Have they done that in past years? I've never heard of a school doing something like that... if that's what they're doing, that sounds pretty freaking weak to me.

QFT. I also think they're waiting for decisions from those who were offered the Dean's scholarship early on.

Edited by researchworks

Seriously?! Have they done that in past years? I've never heard of a school doing something like that... if that's what they're doing, that sounds pretty freaking weak to me.

I have never heard of Harris conducting any such practice, and I find it extremely unlikely. Given the scarcity of decisions posted to date, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of decisions are yet to come. Also, I have not seen any postings of Harris fellowships (the most generous of their awards). All of this leads me to believe that, at this point, the absence of notification to a given individual signifies nothing at all.

I agree. If you look at the results postings it looks like all accepted so far are international students. It seems unlikely that they either only accepted internationals or that only internationals posted their results.

Maybe they just wanted to give the international students more time for visits and such.

I agree. If you look at the results postings it looks like all accepted so far are international students. It seems unlikely that they either only accepted internationals or that only internationals posted their results.

Maybe they just wanted to give the international students more time for visits and such.

Just a quick follow-up to my previous comment. I have no inside knowledge of this particular admissions cycle, but I am very familiar with the Harris School (I am a graduate). I realize that the delays fuel speculation, but I would encourage each of you to try to restrain any such (entirely understandable) impulses. As I suggested earlier, I do not think you can read anything into the fact that you have not yet received a decision. You will learn of your individual admissions decisions over the next few days, and I am confident that a good number of you will be pleasantly surprised (including on the financial end of things). Good luck, and I hope you all receive your decisions soon.

Should any of you have specific questions regarding Harris, please feel free to PM me.

I am an international student and still waiting to hear. Any decision news today?

I have to speculate at this point because I have nothing better to do and cannot sleep. I think this is all a big hoax to buy a couple of more days to complete decisions. I know a number of people who applied and none of us have gotten a decision. Furthermore, there are no accept/reject posts on this forum. After every school I have been accepted or rejected from, there were posts prior and post my notification. Chicanary, trickery, and ledgerdemain I say (forgive my spelling. I refuse to download iespell).

I think this is a conspiracy by the people of Chiacgo to stop us from moving to their city and absorbing all their wind. Yes folks, if too many people move to Chicago, they will never get federal funding for wind turbines to create electricity for Wrigley Field. After all, U Chicago is the school that created the Broken Windows theory. Take this theory and apply it to federal funds for wind energy instead of increasing crime rates and I am sure this is all a big ploy. If you see one broken window it leads to more crime. If you see one big turbine it leads to many more turbines which flows right into a green energy revolution which will power the Bulls, Cubs, and Bears to stop being miserable, choking sports teams. I rest my case your honor.

Yes s33, can you please reinforce it and tell these folks to quit the speculations. It doesn't help at all and it makes things more confusing. I am an international as well and I find it quite annoying when people keep referring to some results page that international students already received their decision when they have not!

Just a quick follow-up to my previous comment. I have no inside knowledge of this particular admissions cycle, but I am very familiar with the Harris School (I am a graduate). I realize that the delays fuel speculation, but I would encourage each of you to try to restrain any such (entirely understandable) impulses. As I suggested earlier, I do not think you can read anything into the fact that you have not yet received a decision. You will learn of your individual admissions decisions over the next few days, and I am confident that a good number of you will be pleasantly surprised (including on the financial end of things). Good luck, and I hope you all receive your decisions soon.

Should any of you have specific questions regarding Harris, please feel free to PM me.

It's pretty clear that they're stalling to give time to the first wave of students who they admitted with funding to decide whether they're coming to Harris or not. Someone mentioned this earlier, but HKS is announcing funding decisions on Friday. There are probably a handful deciding between Harris and HKS. Other students are probably still weighing other choices.

Again, more speculation, I know... But at this point it seems pretty obvious.

Edited by letsjustgo

I guess now I know why it is taking so long to hear back from Chicago..on my online application, my file was last updated on the 19th of March as complete...this is crazy even though I submitted by app on New Years day.! How in the world were they hoping to get back to me by March 15th or the 22nd. I guess at this point, I should not even hold my breath that they would get back to me by tomorrow.:angry:

I guess now I know why it is taking so long to hear back from Chicago..on my online application, my file was last updated on the 19th of March as complete...this is crazy even though I submitted by app on New Years day.! How in the world were they hoping to get back to me by March 15th or the 22nd. I guess at this point, I should not even hold my breath that they would get back to me by tomorrow.:angry:

In all likelihood, this does not mean a thing. All it means with certainty is that your status was updated on the online system as of March 19. You will very likely receive your decision within the next day or two, along with everyone else.

I suspect that s33 is some DeCarlo´s soldier trying to ameliorate our anxiousness... hahahaha

Harris´s 2011 recruitment is going to be sad...

In all likelihood, this does not mean a thing. All it means with certainty is that your status was updated on the online system as of March 19. You will very likely receive your decision within the next day or two, along with everyone else.

I suspect that s33 is some DeCarlo´s soldier trying to ameliorate our anxiousness... hahahaha

Harris´s 2011 recruitment is going to be sad...

I am nobody's "soldier", and I haven't spoken with Maggie DeCarlo in over a year. I am, however, trying to reduce the stress some of you are undergoing by dispelling ill-informed speculation - which doesn't help anyone.

In your own self-interest, the only things you should be considering when you choose a program are the quality of the education and finances. The admissions process can be frustrating, but it has nothing to do with what ultimately matters. You are hurting yourself if you base your decisions upon your satisfaction (or in this case, lack thereof) with the process.

Good luck.

Edited by s33

I am nobody's "soldier", and I haven't spoken with Maggie DeCarlo in over a year. I am, however, trying to reduce the stress some of you are undergoing by dispelling ill-informed speculation - which doesn't help anyone.

In your own self-interest, the only things you should be considering when you choose a program are the quality of the education and finances. The admissions process can be frustrating, but it has nothing to do with what ultimately matters. You are hurting yourself if you base your decisions upon your satisfaction (or in this case, lack thereof) with the process.

Good luck.

Seriously people. It is all about the fear we will usurp their wind.

Edited by mlerette