Buying new laptop

saspur

I have been using my Lenovo Thinkpad X61 for 5 years (haven't done any repairment during the 5 years). Recently my battery is giving me a problem, it suddenly dropped from 64% electricity to 4% electricity.

In another occasion when I was attempting to recharge the battery. It stopped at 39% for a long time, then it suddenly skyrocketed to 100% after 10-20 minutes.

I am a first year PhD student, so either I would like my computer to be fully repaired or buy a new one.

What are the good laptops to consider in United States? PC or apple?

I have been using PC all the time but I know PC gets a lot of computer virus

I've heard machintosh laptops are really good, but a lot of softwares can't be installed on Mac. Besides, macbooks are pretty expensive.

What's your choice?

Thanks.

Plz don't delete this topic.

Yeah, a new battery and/or power cord might do the trick, though if you're getting a new computer, I've really liked my Lenovo Ideapad Y 450 so far. It's about 1.5 years old only, so I have no idea how long it will last. Glad to hear your Thinkpad has lasted so long though! I don't like Apple products, but that's more of an ideological rejection of supporting Steve Jobs, so I can't really speak to the quality of the product. A lot of people seem to like them, but they are really expensive. Sony Vaio seems pretty cool as well, and if you're into gaming at all, Alienware products seem to be the bomb.

I bought a new battery for my laptop after around the 3 year mark, but will probably get a new laptop soon. I am considering a Mac for the quality and stability (supposedly), but am hesitant because I run a lot of PC simulation programs that are not available for Mac.

I love my mac. I don't think I'll ever go back to a PC for my individual needs. They have good tech people to help when problems arise (which for me has RARELY happened), it is compatible with all of my media and the operating system is clean and very easy to use. They're a touch more expensive than PCs, but I think it's worth the extra money.

I bought a new battery for my laptop after around the 3 year mark, but will probably get a new laptop soon. I am considering a Mac for the quality and stability (supposedly), but am hesitant because I run a lot of PC simulation programs that are not available for Mac.

You might want to look into a program like Parallels that allows you to run windows based programs.

You might want to look into a program like Parallels that allows you to run windows based programs.

Yeah, that would be the only way for it to work, but then I would be running windows on a mac a majority of the time and that kind of defeats the purpose of getting a mac (I actually like osx, unlike most people who buy it just for looks).

I also love my mac, and I would point out that while the initial cost is greater, over time the cost evens out. With my pc, I had to replace my battery, get it regularly "tuned up," and buy 3!! new power cords in the 3 years I owned it. I also had to be vigilant about viruses and had terrible experiences with their customer service (it was a dell). This was with me largely using it for internet surfing and word processing. With my mac, I had just my initial costs, and haven't had to do any sort of maintenance work or even needed to call customer service, and I've now had it almost as long as I had my pc. I honestly had no idea that computers could be so user friendly.

Obviously, this isn't going to be everyone's experience, though. If you absolutely need to get a pc, (I have no idea what you're going into, so I couldn't say whether or not this is true for you), I would recommend an hp or an asus. Asus is relatively "new" to the market as a computer company (although they've been manufacturing the internal parts for years), so they're fairly inexpensive, but they're also really reliable.

Not that it was explicit in your post, but also talk to the ITS at your school before you finalize software in whatever machine you decide to get. Many schools will give free upgrades/OS/software/anti-virus programs to students which could save you a couple hundred dollars.

If you absolutely need to get a pc, (I have no idea what you're going into, so I couldn't say whether or not this is true for you), I would recommend an hp or an asus. Asus is relatively "new" to the market as a computer company (although they've been manufacturing the internal parts for years), so they're fairly inexpensive, but they're also really reliable.

I have an Asus W7j and I would say that it is good quality, but it was very expensive for what it is. I got it before they became mainstream with the eee though so I don't know if the quality is still good because they seem to be much more competitively priced now compared to 5-7 years ago.

edit: if you decide to go apple, try to wait until June because they will have a free ipod offer with purchase of a computer.

Edited by Eisenmann

It's not really true anymore that a lot of software isn't compatible with Mac. That used to be a problem, but SO many programs/software/____________ are Mac-compatible now, and even work better on Mac. Yes, the short-term cost is greater, but you are much more likely to not have to worry about having silly problems like a battery that won't last, crashing, freezing, whatever other issues computers have (I'm not a computer geek). Many people I know who have the time, savvy and skills to work on computers themselves prefer PC...but that's certainly not me, and certainly not many (if not most) other grad students.

I have a lenovo T400, it's about 1.5 years old right now and works great. No viruses, no collapses, battery lasts 5+ hours. I bought it when I started grad school and before it I had another lenovo, T41 (I think) -- it lasted 5 full year without breaking down even once. I gave it to my mom when I got my new laptop and as far as I know she's changed the battery once and otherwise it's as good as new. I have to work on macs for part of my work but honestly I prefer win7 to osx, and I don't think the pretty looks are worth the higher price of a mac. Whatever you choose, though, you should find out if your school offers discounts through certain vendors. That could save you quite a bit of money.

sure, the number of softwares being available for a mac is increasing, but that is mainly true for general softwares. most programs used in research (mainly in the sciences, i don't know in other fields) aren't usually available in mac. and the ones that are cut a deep hole in your pocket. i saw that you are in 'biological sciences', and from the perspective of a geneticist/systemicist/population biologist/ecologist, i can say that mac is not the smartest choice. i do use mac and unix boxes in our lab because the department bought them for us, but they have less than 10% of the total programs i run. as some people said above, if you run a lot of windows based programs, then getting a mac isn't really a good idea. you don't want to make the trip all the way from your home to the lab just because the program you want to use is in the pc in your lab.

in your case, you can simply get a replacement battery. also consider the new lenovo thinkpads.. they look loaded. if you want to switch platforms, the main problem you will have is getting used to the new system, but this won't be much of a problem. if there are certain programs that are mac-specific, you might want to look at how to dual boot your machine with a unix OS. most developers who release programs for mac also release unix/linux versions (at least in biology).

as for those who think macs don't get infected by a virus, that isn't actually true. the frequency of attacks is super-super-low. but the idea of macs being invulnerable to viruses is a myth.

I love my mac. I don't think I'll ever go back to a PC for my individual needs. They have good tech people to help when problems arise (which for me has RARELY happened), it is compatible with all of my media and the operating system is clean and very easy to use. They're a touch more expensive than PCs, but I think it's worth the extra money.

A Mac may be more expensive, but they will LAST. Apple offers Educator's (and students too, I imagine) discounts, and you can get 0% financing...which is how I upgraded mine old PowerBook last year. The old PowerBook, I'd had since my M.S. program 6 years prior, and I used and abused that computer everyday for research purposes (data crunching, writing, drafting illustrations), I used it summers at a state park where I was a grant writer and did map and illustration drafting, and it had all my personal music, photos, and finances. I am an overworked, underpaid HS teacher and definitely found it affordable. My school gave me an Acer less than 2 years ago and it is a P.O.S. for sure...incredibly slow, sporadically picks up wireless, doesn't like certain DVDs, etc.

I am myself an Ubuntu user, so no Windows vs Mac debate for me. However, I recommend that before you decide on anything, take a look at your schools IT department.

I have found out that at a school I have been accepted, they only give support to Windows XP, Windows 7 and Leopard, so, if you buy anything different and you have trouble, then wont help. And they also have some deals for students, so you may want to check out before buying.

sure, the number of softwares being available for a mac is increasing, but that is mainly true for general softwares. most programs used in research (mainly in the sciences, i don't know in other fields) aren't usually available in mac. and the ones that are cut a deep hole in your pocket. i saw that you are in 'biological sciences', and from the perspective of a geneticist/systemicist/population biologist/ecologist, i can say that mac is not the smartest choice. i do use mac and unix boxes in our lab because the department bought them for us, but they have less than 10% of the total programs i run. as some people said above, if you run a lot of windows based programs, then getting a mac isn't really a good idea. you don't want to make the trip all the way from your home to the lab just because the program you want to use is in the pc in your lab.

in your case, you can simply get a replacement battery. also consider the new lenovo thinkpads.. they look loaded. if you want to switch platforms, the main problem you will have is getting used to the new system, but this won't be much of a problem. if there are certain programs that are mac-specific, you might want to look at how to dual boot your machine with a unix OS. most developers who release programs for mac also release unix/linux versions (at least in biology).

as for those who think macs don't get infected by a virus, that isn't actually true. the frequency of attacks is super-super-low. but the idea of macs being invulnerable to viruses is a myth.

I am studying molecular and cellular biology, to be more specific, microbiology

Hi,

I am currently doing my PhD where I need to write codes and play with Weka, Python.

I'm not sure wether to go for Lenovo Thinkpad T410 or MBP. Been dreaming to use MBP ever since, but considering you guy's opinion as well.

Apart from that I also put Dell Latitude E5410 in my list. But through my readings, found out that Dell hardware isn't reliable enough, yes?

Thanks!

Dell's are terrible computers. Really cheap anywhere they don't expect people to look, and overall just shoddy.

I have an old thinkpad that's served me well and is really robust, but I've had occasional problems and the quality has dropped quite a bit from what it used to be before Lenovo.

The best engineered laptops on the market now are macbooks. You pay a premium, but I'd say it's worth it, and it's what I'm going to be getting next. If you really need windows, your school probably has a license for you for free, and you can dual boot.

Dell's are terrible computers. Really cheap anywhere they don't expect people to look, and overall just shoddy.

I've had the same Dell laptop for 4.5 years. I've seen people railing against Dell repeatedly and I'm left a bit confused. As far as I can tell, I pretty much got the best value for the $600 I spent on it at the time. Often, the criticism is "runs slowly", but that's not even a hardware issue. I'm not saying that one should only consider them, but I think Dell's getting more flak than they deserve. Also, looking at the actual components they're pretty much the same across the board and one could easily figure out what the brand markup is for every brand. The only thing that really changes is the case.

I am studying molecular and cellular biology, to be more specific, microbiology

I know several CMB groups at our school that are nearly exclusively Mac (PI's choice) so from that I infer that a great deal of the software is available for that OS. I know that most of the programs I'd use for Biochem/Molecular Modeling are available for both Mac and PC.

I really recommend holding off on "expensive" computer purchases until you get a bit settled in grad school. If you have something that works at all, keep using it- if you can get something cheap as a stop-gap, do so.

If you get a Mac and your PI/group use PCs, you'll have problems.... And the same is true if you have a PC, and your PI/group use Macs. Writing papers between the two is not as seamless as you'd hope, and keeping versions in a format that each can read/format/edit can be a real pain. I have a PC and my boss uses Macs... And I'm considering entirely switching over just so I don't have to deal with all the conversion issues.

I've had the same Dell laptop for 4.5 years. I've seen people railing against Dell repeatedly and I'm left a bit confused. As far as I can tell, I pretty much got the best value for the $600 I spent on it at the time. Often, the criticism is "runs slowly", but that's not even a hardware issue. I'm not saying that one should only consider them, but I think Dell's getting more flak than they deserve. Also, looking at the actual components they're pretty much the same across the board and one could easily figure out what the brand markup is for every brand. The only thing that really changes is the case.

Exactly, the specifications will look the same. Dell makes sure every spec people are going to compare (processor architecture and speed, RAM size, graphics card model and memory, etc.) is up to par, but will cut corners EVERYWHERE possible that they don't think people will look. Dells just won't perform as well or last as long as other computers, period. Also, mechanically speaking Dell has historically had terrible products, but they may have gotten better - at least on the surface. If you want a good computer, Apple is the way to go. If you insist on "not a mac", thinkpads are the best you're going to find, but now that macs have intel processors and can dual boot, there's no reason to avoid them. If you want a cheaper computer, it's pretty much a wash between other lenovos, asus, acer, msi, toshiba, etc... just not Dell.

Dells just won't perform as well or last as long as other computers, period. Also, mechanically speaking Dell has historically had terrible products, but they may have gotten better - at least on the surface.

Ok, I'm confused. All the specifications are the same but it performs worse? I don't mean to be obnoxious about this, but if the actual hardware is the same, what is the reason for the slow down? What I'm getting at is that the things that differentiate them are: case design (heat dissipation, antenna positioning, mechanical differences, etc), but those would not affect the performance in terms of "slow to run a program" and the cause most likely lies in the software. Anyway, I should've been clear about what I tried to get at.

sure, the number of softwares being available for a mac is increasing, but that is mainly true for general softwares. most programs used in research (mainly in the sciences, i don't know in other fields) aren't usually available in mac. and the ones that are cut a deep hole in your pocket.

That sounds quite strange, since your can always run Windows (and hence Win softwares) on Mac no problem http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

(alternatively, you can install virtual machine like VMWare and also use Win software within Mac operating system)

I'm not a computer expert but, I have to say that I've had the same Dell laptop since April 2006, and I still use it as my main computer. For me, buying a Mac would require also buying Parallels so that I can run software that is Windows-only that I need for my research. I also own a netbook that I use for fieldwork and when I'm in class. The netbook is great for that sort of thing because of its portability.

If I were buying a new computer now, I'd probably just buy an inexpensive Windows laptop OR I would buy one of those ultraportable laptops. I think MacBooks are cool but, I don't have $1200 to spend on a new computer so I probably will never own one.

but you are much more likely to not have to worry about having silly problems like a battery that won't last, crashing, freezing, whatever other issues computers have (I'm not a computer geek). Many people I know who have the time, savvy and skills to work on computers themselves prefer PC...but that's certainly not me, and certainly not many (if not most) other grad students.

Whhhaaaaaaat? No way. Now I'm not all about Mac vs Windows, but Macs definitely have problems - one of the first is their friggin battery. They exchanged my Mac because of some topcase problem where my shortcuts were iMacs and could not be fixed - so technically, I've had this laptop for two years. I've been running on a shitty battery for a year already saying "REPLACE NOW." My Mac is terminally hooked up to a power cord as I'm not able to invest in a $170+ battery to make it portable again. I haven't crashed.*

Secondly, the entire update to Snow Leopard caused many hardware problems for people - especially the depletion of their battery power, even though it says it uses less. Non-working click buttons on the mousepad. These have been resolved later, but Mac updates can be pretty ugly. If you don't have a HDD and can't use Time Machine because you don't want to pay monthly for an online DB account, then if you wanted to revert your Mac to its old state - that means uninstalling everything, then reinstalling everything. This is annoying and poor design.

I also don't agree with the "most programs can work with a Mac," because that's not true - unless you boot up in Windows. Why get a Mac and not use its OS?

My Mac doesn't freeze, but my programs still do (Thunderbird, primarily . . . I've tried reinstalling, uninstalling, etc) - luckily that doesn't lock up the entire computer. Macs are built for people who want a simple computer, with graphics programming power and customization. Snow Leopard doesn't even offer Interfacelift which made Mac UI look 50x better than Windows.

*I have a Macbook, for reference. I don't have enough money to keep up with Apple's incessant new models.

I like my Macbook, but I don't see a significant advantage of it over a Windows computer. Lack of viruses and hacking is awesome - former and latter both because hackers/etc don't find interest in it "supposedly." Web browsers can still suffer script issues unless you get NoScript, etc.

I'm just personally amazed at how many people talk about Macs not having issues, when they do. . . And of course, since it's Apple, if you want to fix it yourself, you have to get crap to break into it because Apple prefers you to go to the store for repairs.

I think Humanities majors can definitely benefit from a cheaper computer, that does the basics rather than an expensive computer with the lights and bells.

Another edit* I believe it's fair to note that I wanted a Mac because of the lack of virus problems. I've run into hardware issues, and can't claim it anymore. If I knew crap about computers (which I don't) I would have asked for a cheaper comp.

Edited by Chulianne