Which schools are "better"?

I am curious to know how you guys go about "ranking" schools. There are the national rankings, with stuff like "Yale" at the top and state schools at the bottom, but then there's the whole "English department" thing. How do you know which English department is better to go to?

For example: Is it better to go to a "big" school, a higher ranking national school, even when it has a small, not very well-known English department?

Or, following this, would it be preferable to attend a lower-ranked school with a famous English department (I am thinking of Florida State)?

When you go looking for jobs later, what are they going to look for--the school or the department?

Edited by Amalia222

I am curious to know how you guys go about "ranking" schools. There are the national rankings, with stuff like "Yale" at the top and state schools at the bottom, but then there's the whole "English department" thing. How do you know which English department is better to go to?

For example: Is it better to go to a "big" school, a higher ranking national school, even when it has a small, not very well-known English department?

Or, following this, would it be preferable to attend a lower-ranked school with a famous English department (I am thinking of Florida State)?

When you go looking for jobs later, what are they going to look for--the school or the department?

It's probably best to go to the school with the better English dept (and specifically the one with the most respected scholars in your area), but I know you applied to creative writing Ph.D programs, not traditional programs, which are a whole different arena. There is no US News ranking for them and likely never will be. Seth Abramson maintains a blog (http://creative-writ...2.blogspot.com/) with very "loose" rankings based on his own limited data of where people applied, but that's pretty much it; you should take them with a huge grain of salt. I would just go to the place in a preferred location with good funding and the professors with whom you'd most like to work. When you leave, you will be applying for creative writing teaching jobs, and I do not get the impression that where you got the degree is super important, though some programs (like Houston and FSU, which you mention) seem to have more successful alumni than others, which might be telling. That said, for positions that require you to teach both creative writing and undergrad lit courses right away, it is possible the reputation of the general English dept matters (though none of the creative writing Ph.Ds are housed in top programs anyway).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that neither set of rankings seems to matter in creative writing -- go where you want.

I would largely agree with Sarandipity given your field. I tend to put a bit more stock into the rankings than a lot of people because reputation and networking matter SO much in getting a job later. That said, if the overall program is ranked lower but the foremost scholar in the subfield is there, well, that changes things since he/she could really help a lot with that whole networking thing. USNWR does yearly rankings and the top 10 for quite a few subfields. Chronicle of Higher Education also does rankings periodically, but again, these aren't CW specific. I think looking at placement numbers is a really good way to determine the "rank" or "quality" of a program. When I applied a few years back, one of the posters compiled a list of programs based on placement. I think he/she went on to publish it, but I don't really recall so take what is pasted below with a HUGE grain of salt.

It was privately compiled, so I have it in front of me, but it's not online. That said, anyone can confirm the data themselves by looking at faculties at the top fifty schools--the trendlines the rankings lay out in detail (because of a higher "N" figure that ensures greater statistical confidence) begin to take primitive shape when one looks at even, I'd say, 10 such faculties. The incredibly hardened, individuated top 12, across 1,200 professors:

1. Yale

2. Harvard

3. Columbia

4. Berkeley

5. Cornell

6. Stanford

7. Princeton

8. Virginia

9. Penn

10. Chicago

11. Johns Hopkins

12. UCLA

Then a cluster of schools--Brown, Duke, NYU, Michigan, Rutgers, and Wisconsin--and then a veritable cliff.

But I want to emphasize here that I agree with you: the schools not in the top 20 (or 19) for placement probably place just as many graduates, just in (over many years and graduates) slightly different jobs on average. But I mean, looking at these numbers, folks going to places like Washington, Minnesota, North Carolina, Texas should absolutely feel like top hiring committees know they exist and respect their programs. Essentially, the numbers show that only a small number of programs offer a statistically significant foothold into top colleges and universities, and even then a school that's head and shoulders above any other--Yale--still accounts for a percentage of all top-fifty faculty members that's in the 9% range.

And some more from the same person:

How to read: For instance, 1.94% of professors at the top 25 national universities and top 25 liberal arts colleges graduated from #17 University of Wisconsin-Madison; 2.45% of professors at these same colleges and universities graduated from #13 Brown University (a differential of 0.51% out of 1,100+ professors). Perhaps the most notable drop-off in placement appears after #19 Indiana University, as the difference in placement between #19 and #20 University of Illinois is 0.59%, or 1.69% versus 1.10%.

Rank/School/Professors on the English Faculty at Surveyed Colleges and Universities

1 Yale University 113

2 Harvard University 88

3 Columbia University 81

4 University of California at Berkeley 77

5 Cornell University 70

6 Stanford University 61

7 Princeton University 54

8 University of Virginia 47

9 University of Pennsylvania 45

10 University of Chicago 44

11 Johns Hopkins University 37

12 University of California at Los Angeles 33

13 Brown University 29

14 Duke University 28

15t New York University 25

15t University of Michigan 25

17t Rutgers University 23

17t University of Wisconsin at Madison 23

19 Indiana University 20

20 University of Illinois 13

21t Brandeis University 12

21t Washington University in St. Louis 12

23 University of Washington 11

24t State University of New York at Buffalo 10

24t University of California at Santa Barbara 10

24t University of Minnesota 10

27 University of California at Irvine 9

28t Northwestern University 8

28t University of North Carolina 8

28t University of Texas 8

31t City University of New York [CUNY] 7

31t University of Southern California 7

33t Boston University 6

33t Case Western Reserve University 6

33t Emory University 6

33t Univ. of California at Santa Cruz 6

33t University of Rochester 6

37t Ohio State University 5

37t Pennsylvania State University 5

37t University of Massachusetts at Amherst 5

41t Binghamton University 4

41t University of Illinois at Chicago 4

41t University of Maryland 4

44t Purdue University 3

44t Rice University 3

44t State University of New York at Stony Brook 3

44t Syracuse University 3

44t Temple University 3

44t Tufts University 3

44t Tulane University 3

44t University of California at Riverside 3

44t University of California at San Diego 3

44t University of Missouri 3

44t University of New Hampshire 3

55t Boston College 2

55t Georgia State University 2

55t Michigan State University 2

55t University of California at Davis 2

55t University of Connecticut 2

55t University of Delaware 2

55t University of Nebraska 2

55t University of Notre Dame 2

55t University of South Carolina 2

64t Bowling Green State University 1

64t Bryn Mawr College 1

64t Carnegie Mellon University 1

64t Claremont Graduate School 1

64t University of Colorado 1

64t University of Denver 1

64t University of Florida 1

64t University of Georgia 1

64t University of Houston 1

64t Howard University 1

64t Lehigh University 1

64t Loyola University of Chicago 1

64t Kent State University 1

64t Miami University [OH] 1

64t Michigan Technological University 1

64t University of New Mexico 1

64t University of Oklahoma 1

64t University of Pittsburgh 1

64t University of Toledo 1

64t Union Institute & University 1

64t University of Utah 1

64t Vanderbilt University 1

64t Washington State University 1

64t Western Michigan University 1

64t College of William & Mary 1

64t University of Iowa 1

[90 schools ranked; N = 1,183].

Schools surveyed for this ranking:

Amherst College (ND)

Grinnell College

University of California at Berkeley (ND)

Barnard College

Hamilton College

University of California at Los Angeles

Bowdoin College

Haverford College

University of Chicago

Brandeis University

Harvard University

University of Michigan

Brown University

Lafayette College

University of Notre Dame

Bryn Mawr College

Macalester College

University of Pennsylvania

Bucknell University

Middlebury College

University of Southern California

Carleton College

New York University

University of Virginia

Claremont McKenna College

Oberlin College

Vassar College (ND)

Colgate University

Pennsylvania State University

Washington & Lee University

College of William & Mary

Pomona College

Washington University in St. Louis

Colorado College

Princeton University

Wellesley College (ND)

Columbia University

Providence College

Wesleyan University

Cornell University

Reed College

Williams College

Dartmouth College

Rice University

Yale University

Davidson College

Smith College

Drew University (ND)

Stanford University

Duke University

Swarthmore College (ND)

Fordham University

Trinity College [CT]

Georgetown University

Tufts University

Notes: ND means “no data.” Schools which would have been surveyed if data had been available online, but which are not included in the fifty schools surveyed, appear with the ND notation beside them. Programs were not given credit for hiring their own graduates. Only English Department faculties were assessed, and all faculty members with online educational data were included in the survey, regarding of their title or tenure status.

I will throw my two cents in. I think fit is really important too, as is how much support a department is willing to give you and how long it takes to get through the program. (These were criteria my advisor shared with me.)

I'm in comp/rhet, and some of the very best programs in that field are at schools that aren't ranked. (Take Louisville, for example, which only has a Comp/Rhet PhD therefore doesn't really show up on the "English" rankings because those rankings mostly consider literary study.)

So, when I make my decision, I'm going to consider a couple of factors. First-- is it likely I'll have a lot of professional development opportunities at this program? Do students seem to get through in 5 years or less? Do the faculty match up with what I want to do? And if so, if one or two of those people left would I still have people there to work with (with hiring freezes, I think this is more important now.)?

Rankings aren't as big a deal for me, but reputation certainly is. U of A's RCTE program is very well respected and claims a 100% placement rate.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to serve on a search committee for a tenure track literature professor at a private liberal arts college, and I got to experience the process first hand. Our batch of applicants (~130) represented a variety of backgrounds and educations from the relatively podunk, to the ivies. What the decisions ultimately came down to was the level of productivity (candidates who hadn't published in five years didn't fare well), the research focus (as it would 'fit' with our dept.) and publication placement (books and peer-reviewed journals). Although there was no pressure placed on the committee to go after candidates from top programs, our best choices all ended up coming from the top 15. This may suggest that those departments themselves played a role in the candidate's overall excellence, but it's also entirely possible that they (the candidates) might have excelled elsewhere, too.

Although there is no escaping the fact that graduating from the top 15 will help you considerably, what you do while earning your degree will play a huge role. For myself, I looked at the programs' job placement records and their career development initiatives to see where candidates were ending up. I also looked at opportunities for research projects and conference travel as a means to get involved within the field. But perhaps the most important for me was to identify the people who clearly understand the direction that the discipline is headed -- the people who are doing new and exciting stuff. I actually applied to several of the ivies, but frankly I wasn't that thrilled by their departments or what they were doing. Of course this is all relative to sub-fields and what you'd like to accomplish (do you want to just teach 5/5 at a community or do 2/3 and research at a 4-yr). For me, the educational process itself has to play as big a role as the placement; and being involved in forward-thinking work that both engages my interest while developing a certain marketability is of key importance.

Creative writing does seem to work a little different depending on your goals. Although I wasn't on the committee, I was a participant in two CW searches, and they were partially based upon a mix of program credibility and teaching experience, but most importantly on published works and recognition of them.

For myself, seeking an environment that will support and incubate my areas of interest alongside like-minded individuals carries more weight than a prestigious name (right now, at least... ask me again in five years). If the environment is a good fit, and your enthusiasm is strong, doors will open and there will be fewer and fewer limits to what you can accomplish with your work. With that in mind, the balance between naivete and idealism must be kept in accurate perspective -- we're all taking a gamble here, but what a rich and fruitful gamble it will be! Onwards! *Sounds the trumpet*

Edited by truckbasket

Does the survey account for the size of the programs and the number of alumni/ae? Doesn't it suggest--if a small program like WUSTL has nearly as many well-placed graduates as a big program like UCLA--that WUSTL is *much* better than UCLA?

On 3/6/2011 at 6:05 PM, cyriac said:

Does the survey account for the size of the programs and the number of alumni/ae? Doesn't it suggest--if a small program like WUSTL has nearly as many well-placed graduates as a big program like UCLA--that WUSTL is *much* better than UCLA?

Good point. Per capita seems important w/r/t ranking.

wow, great comments, all. It's certainly giving me something to think about. I think you're right, at the end of the day it's about "fit". Despite the creative writing emphasis, I am not simply aspiring to teach creative seminars but also academic writing and literature courses. The goal is to be a sort of "jack of all trades"--a mix of academic and creative writer, as well as literature, composition, and creative writing teacher. With the job market as it is, I feel it's important to be flexible. Teaching and academics are the hull that keeps the creative ship afloat, if you get my meaning. I love to write, but I doubt I'll ever make any money at it (literary fiction is a tough sell!) and I like teaching just as much as writing. A degree in English with creative dissertation is a win-win.

I appreciate the listing of schools by random data, but you're right, at the end of the day it has to be weighing out which schools have the most to offer. I really like TAMU's program, and I think I am a great fit for their department (which is why, I'm assuming, they chose me). But I wonder, if I get in anywhere else, how I will choose, and how much the school's ranking will factor in. From what you all are saying, not that much.

wow, great comments, all. It's certainly giving me something to think about. I think you're right, at the end of the day it's about "fit". Despite the creative writing emphasis, I am not simply aspiring to teach creative seminars but also academic writing and literature courses. The goal is to be a sort of "jack of all trades"--a mix of academic and creative writer, as well as literature, composition, and creative writing teacher. With the job market as it is, I feel it's important to be flexible. Teaching and academics are the hull that keeps the creative ship afloat, if you get my meaning. I love to write, but I doubt I'll ever make any money at it (literary fiction is a tough sell!) and I like teaching just as much as writing. A degree in English with creative dissertation is a win-win.

I appreciate the listing of schools by random data, but you're right, at the end of the day it has to be weighing out which schools have the most to offer. I really like TAMU's program, and I think I am a great fit for their department (which is why, I'm assuming, they chose me). But I wonder, if I get in anywhere else, how I will choose, and how much the school's ranking will factor in. From what you all are saying, not that much.

I think, given your goals, that you might also consider what type of teaching opportunities students get at these schools-- will you get the option to teach both creative writing and lit after you've taught your requisite first year comp courses? If you envision marketing yourself as a jack of all trades, then you should also look for departments that will provide you with those teaching opportunities.

Hmm... another problem might be that the survey only asked English faculties. Some programs with particular interdisciplinary strengths might make a deceptively weak showing. I know UCI places a lot of people in Critical Theory departments, not English departments. I would imagine that at least a few schools would have similar issues with AfAm, Feminist Studies, American Studies, or other fields.

On 3/6/2011 at 6:21 PM, Amalia222 said:

I am an international student. When I thought of studying PhD in the US years ago, this problem confused me too,

because there are rankings from various sources. Recently I also found in PhD.org (http://tinyurl.com/4zzemog)

that there is a ranking specifically of PhD programs in English for this year, which I think is quite unconventional from

the rankings I've seen before. But as you said, I finally decided to choose the schools to apply mainly according to

"how fit" I am to the specific program and the available funding it provides.

Below are the top 30 English PhD programs listed in PhD.org:

1. PRINCETON UNIVERSITY

2. HARVARD UNIVERSITY

3. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

4. UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

5. YALE UNIVERSITY

6. STANFORD UNIVERSITY

7. DUKE UNIVERSITY

8. UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA

9. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT LOS ANGELES

10. CORNELL UNIVERSITY

11. JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY

12. NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY

13. VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY

14. BROWN UNIVERSITY

15. EMORY UNIVERSITY

16. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS

17. RICE UNIVERSITY

18. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - BERKELEY

19. UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

20. CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY

21. UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA

22. TUFTS UNIVERSITY

23. UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

24. NEW YORK UNIVERSITY

25.UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - SANTA BARBARA

26. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA - CHAPEL HILL

27. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-IRVINE

28. UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER

29. BRANDEIS UNIVERSITY

30. UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA

Rankings systems are a touchy subject. Especially for humanities programs, they are wildly inaccurate and one should always take them with a grain of salt. That said, a program's perceived reputation IS important and does play a role. Pedigree is something we should be skeptical about, but (unfortunately or not) it can make a significant difference when you are on the job market. Now, that does not mean that you're screwed if you don't go to Harvard, by any means. And it also doesn't mean that "rankings" as put out by USNWR or phd.org have any significance. Perceived reputation is important, ranking is not. Sometimes perceived reputation corresponds to rank, sometimes it does not.

To answer the original question, the perceived reputation of your specific PhD department is going to be far more important than the perceived reputation of the overall institution (at least in the American job market; I can't speak for overseas). More than that, the perceived reputation of the department in your subfield is more important than the reputation of the department over all.

Basically, it comes down to (this is not in order):

* Departmental job placement (and this doesn't just mean "rates," because departments can and do manipulate those rates; you want to find out specifically where and in what timeline grads of the program are getting jobs)

* Reputation of your the department in your subfield

* Your fit in the department

* Who you worked with (this is a huge one--who are your mentors, who is your advisor?)

* The work you produce and have produced in your department

* Your ability to convey and communicate that work to others (in job talks, conferences, teaching, etc.)

There's more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Final FYI. Programs that rank at the top of USNWR or phd.org DO NOT necessarily boast the strongest placement records. Those kind of rankings are almost always outdated and reflect outdated perceptions of the programs. I did a looooot of research into this last year, and many of the programs at the top of the list have not been placing well in the last few years. Some other programs (many from the #10-25 range) are placing their grads into much more prestigious jobs--and at a much higher rate overall--than the typical "top" programs. But, some of the typical "top" programs are still definitely "top." The most important thing to do when looking into reputation (in my opinion) is to find out where, how frequently, and how quickly programs (and subfields within those programs) place their grads.

As one should do with all discussion of rank or reputation, don't take this post too seriously. But I hope it helps nonetheless.

Edited by Pamphilia

Yeah, I've seen it too. UTA isn't on there, nor is U of Minnesota. I'm a bit skeptical, but this just all reinforces that the rankings are really subjective for English. . .sort of like that whole crapshoot about how schools (especially with small cohorts) pick applicants, no ;) Anyway, cyriac and ceseda, I think you make relevant points about the stuff I posted. Like I said, I don't really remember a lot about where I got this. . .it was shared on grad cafe a couple years ago and is just based on placement numbers, but it doesn't take into account timeframe (that I know of) or department size (that I know of). I think, then, that Pamphilia's post is reall sensible and addresses the complex interaction of reputation, rank, fit, and mentor opportunities (for personal development and networking). Research opportunities and consortiums, as well as travel funds for conferences and stuff, are also important. In the end, I think programs have facets that make them better for each person (and worse for others). So let this awkward courtship dance begin!

I completely agree with Chris83 and Pamphilia. Rankings are weird. And even if they weren't, I personally don't think the ranking of the program is as important as the work you're able to produce for when you're out on the market—and the work you produce is influenced by the quality and support of the faculty and your colleagues, the support you have in your program (i.e., working PT at Mickey D's makes it hard to write a good novel before you graduate), and the kinds of experiences you're able to get before graduating.

Also, on an incidental note for the OP, I'm currently at Cinci. While I'm not a creative writer, I'm happy to help talk about our program if you'd like to PM me sometime.

Edited by runonsentence

First, all rankings systems are completely limited by their methodology.

For USNWR - They go around and ask 2 members from each English graduate program to rank schools; they then compile all the answers and you have a giant list of completely subjective and statistically irrelevant rankings. That said, this list does represent some sort of 'brand awareness' which has some sort of effect on getting noticed when you get out on the job market.

For NCR (phd.org) - The list is outdated because there were significant setbacks and stalling. This ranking system is actually based off of 2005-2006 data and contains some very statistically incorrect methodology. Search around and you'll find that some departments were completely misrepresented and not all programs were measured with equal metrics.

For the ranking list above re: placement - It means absolutely nothing because it only uses raw data. It does not account for the size of a program (of course Berkeley has more people placed in schools--it admits 3 times the cohort of other schools!). It also does not account for the age of a program. It doesn't account for upward or downward shifts nor gives credits to programs trying to improve their clout.

This is all to say that one's efforts shouldn't be directed toward picking a 'better' school than another--such distinctions are arbitrary or subjective and will lead to a vicious cycle of unsubstantiated metrics. One, however, should be wary of picking an "unknown" school, or a school with a bad reputation--since there are so many "good" schools to choose from, you shouldn't waste your time on schools even slightly suspect.

In the end, you should be picking between great programs. The most important variable is you. Where will you do the best work; where will you fit in; which program plays to your strengths and needs? Of course, a counterpoint could be made that the only constant is you--if you're going to do great work where-ever you go, then you should simply disregard rankings and focus on where you'll be happiest.

I feel like I've gotten some very honest advice from numerous professors at various reputable institutions. The advice is always consistent. Here is a basic breakdown of priorities and an explanation of each:

1) Go where you are funded (paying out of pocket for an American PhD is financially advisable, though it is somewhat different for the UK).

2) Go where the program/professor of interest best fits your research objective (you don't want to spend the next five years researching something that isn't exactly right. Also, it won't help you to have a "big name" PhD from an institution where prospective employers know that there are no professors all that interested in the subject about which you have written your dissertation).

3) Go where your professor of interest is well connected and widely published (it is far better to have an advisor who is well respected in your subfield advocating for you than it is to have a recognizable university name on your degree).

4) Go where the program is thought to be elite in your subfield (DO NOT go to the USNWR subfields rankings for this. Instead, ask professors in your area what programs keep coming up in their conversations or in conversations at conferences).

5) Go with your gut (you need to feel comfortable at the school you attend. If two programs are completely equal in all the above respects, go to the school you really want to attend deep down, even if it is ranked lower).

6) Now, think of rankings (rankings do play a role, as little as we want to believe it. If two schools are equal for all other categories INCLUDING YOUR GUT, then consider them. As flawed as it is, and it certainly is flawed, USNWR does seem to have some credibility. If you look at any department in the top 30 or so on the USNWR rankings, very few of the professors have a PhD from a school ranked lower than on USNWR than the one where they are teaching. Do bear in mind that this is a generally rule, not an absolute one, so don't start posting professors here and there who have lower ranked PhD teaching at higher ranked schools. I'm sure I'm now going to be crucified on this board for having posted this even though I have ranked it last and and have tried to cover all my bases).

The last thing I want to say, and this is just to reiterate what others have said elsewhere, is that it is important to consider your career objective. If you really feel like you must end up teaching at a major US university with a well respected PhD program, then you should be more concerned about getting your PhD at a school that tops the rankings. If, however, you would like to teach at a more modest state school or a liberal arts college where more of your focus will be placed on teaching than on competing with other universities in the areas of publication, placement and general reputation, your options significantly more open.

Hope this helps, and let the critical responses begin!

I think this (in addition to all of the other helpful bits and pieces on this thread) has helped me decide, so thanks!

1) Go where you are funded (paying out of pocket for an American PhD is financially advisable, though it is somewhat different for the UK).

2) Go where the program/professor of interest best fits your research objective (you don't want to spend the next five years researching something that isn't exactly right. Also, it won't help you to have a "big name" PhD from an institution where prospective employers know that there are no professors all that interested in the subject about which you have written your dissertation).

3) Go where your professor of interest is well connected and widely published (it is far better to have an advisor who is well respected in your subfield advocating for you than it is to have a recognizable university name on your degree).

4) Go where the program is thought to be elite in your subfield (DO NOT go to the USNWR subfields rankings for this. Instead, ask professors in your area what programs keep coming up in their conversations or in conversations at conferences).

5) Go with your gut (you need to feel comfortable at the school you attend. If two programs are completely equal in all the above respects, go to the school you really want to attend deep down, even if it is ranked lower).

6) Now, think of rankings (rankings do play a role, as little as we want to believe it. If two schools are equal for all other categories INCLUDING YOUR GUT, then consider them. As flawed as it is, and it certainly is flawed, USNWR does seem to have some credibility. If you look at any department in the top 30 or so on the USNWR rankings, very few of the professors have a PhD from a school ranked lower than on USNWR than the one where they are teaching. Do bear in mind that this is a generally rule, not an absolute one, so don't start posting professors here and there who have lower ranked PhD teaching at higher ranked schools. I'm sure I'm now going to be crucified on this board for having posted this even though I have ranked it last and and have tried to cover all my bases).

I think this (in addition to all of the other helpful bits and pieces on this thread) has helped me decide, so thanks!

Happy to help! I just reread my post and realized how many typos it contains. I'm glad you could decode my mistakes.