MoMA and/or Whitney internships

ayan0624

Hi, I am wondering if anyone in this forum heard back from MoMA and/or Whitney about internships. I think at the homepage, each mentions that it will send out interview offer during March... and I am just curious if anyone knows about that.

Good luck to everyone who applied for the position! :)

In the recent past, moma has done phone interviews very close to their announcement date, this time April 28.

I just spoke to a friend who applied to the Whitney, and she's heard nada.

Good luck!!! :))))

In the recent past, moma has done phone interviews very close to their announcement date, this time April 28.

I just spoke to a friend who applied to the Whitney, and she's heard nada.

Good luck!!! :))))

For most of these programs, if you haven't heard anything by the interview date then you didn't get it. They'll send you a wonderful rejection letter stating the number of people who applied to the program in an effort to make you feel less like a terrible scholar!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied in January, and have been in contact with the coordinator but they are being vague in giving answers....

I hope it works out. i havent heard anything sound yet either.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone in this forum heard back from MoMA and/or Whitney about internships. I think at the homepage, each mentions that it will send out interview offer during March... and I am just curious if anyone knows about that.

Good luck to everyone who applied for the position! :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Has anyone applied to the 12 month internship at MoMA? Just wondering when emails for interviews might be sent out. I've been waiting pretty anxiously although the announcement date is not till July 15th.

I applied for the 12-month internship at MOMA too- working with the Fluxus/prints collection. Haven't heard anything since the standard email responses stating my application/references had been received. They really make you wait on this one, eight or nine weeks! Then again just imagine how many applications they must get. Good luck- probably best to put it to the back of your mind for now and work on something else; I'm doing an internship elsewhere in the interim. Will post if there's an update.

Yes, I just read that over 1000 graduate students applied for 20 paid internships offered by the Museums Galleries Scotland, where interns receive £15,000 for the year. So I can only imagine the number MoMA gets. But still wish, we didn't have to wait till what...beginning of July to get some news? Oh wells...

I applied for the Louise Bourgeois one, working with illustrated books, and prints as well. Good luck to all those who applied! I will also update if I find out anything :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've applied for the Public Programme internship too, the tension is killing me! I'll be sure to let everyone know if I hear anything, has anyone else heard back yet?

I was accepted onto a programme at another gallery in New York a couple of years ago (unfortunately I didn't get to actually go and do it) and it took around 6 weeks for them to notify short listed candidates. That was with 600 applicants, and several more places than are on offer at MoMA. It was also unpaid so I can imagine how many people must have applied for these paid positions!

Do they pick one 12-month intern per position? Assuming that they contact you close to the announcement date and they take about a week to interview candidates, then I predict we will find out this week or the next.

It is rather nerve-wracking, but I guess it's comforting to know I'm not the only one wondering what's going on. Trying to keep myself busy with other things.

As far as I know, it's one intern per post. Fingers crossed for hearing soon... Goodluck!

Do they pick one 12-month intern per position? Assuming that they contact you close to the announcement date and they take about a week to interview candidates, then I predict we will find out this week or the next.

It is rather nerve-wracking, but I guess it's comforting to know I'm not the only one wondering what's going on. Trying to keep myself busy with other things.

Hey, I just received an email from MoMA re: 12-month internship to schedule an interview for early next week. It looks as if these will about 20 minutes and conducted by the Director of adult and academic programs and a representative of the relevant department to which you applied (in my case an assistant curator in the prints/illustrated books dept.) No update on the time frame for decisions, so July 15th is still the nominal date. Good luck all!

Congratulations! I haven't heard anything yet, but based on this I'm keeping my fingers crossed something will come soon.

Hey, I just received an email from MoMA re: 12-month internship to schedule an interview for early next week. It looks as if these will about 20 minutes and conducted by the Director of adult and academic programs and a representative of the relevant department to which you applied (in my case an assistant curator in the prints/illustrated books dept.) No update on the time frame for decisions, so July 15th is still the nominal date. Good luck all!

Yes congrats londonwill! A 20 min interview doesn't sound too intimidating.

Hmm...Wonder if they email people in batches or all at once regarding interviews. In any case, lots of luck on the interview and keeping fingers crossed for the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know that I received an email from MoMA wanting an interview early next week. It's all pretty much the same as londonwill has mentioned. It will be twenty minutes and it will be with the Director of Adult & Academic Programs, Assistant Director of Adult and Academic Programs, and Education Assistant, Internship Program and MoMA Courses.

Pretty nervous but luckily I don't have to wait too long to find out whether I got it or not (July 15 is still the big day).

Good luck to all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I applied to the Whitney summer internships last year and was selected for a position (though ultimately did not take it due to a better, paying offer) - you are required to interview in person. The other thing is that you interview with three separate departments while you're in NYC, in a row, plus with the HR manager.

The HR woman quizzed me pretty intensely about my coursework, so I'm sure they'll ask about your MA / PhD plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to the Whitney summer internships last year and was selected for a position (though ultimately did not take it due to a better, paying offer) - you are required to interview in person. The other thing is that you interview with three separate departments while you're in NYC, in a row, plus with the HR manager.

The HR woman quizzed me pretty intensely about my coursework, so I'm sure they'll ask about your MA / PhD plans.

I have also heard this elsewhere about the Whitney. From what I have heard you should be prepared for a couple-hours-long marathon of interviewing sessions, and perhaps some questions on authors, methodologies, etc. Sounds much more rigorous than most! Good luck!

Edited by mooncake88

• 2 weeks later...

By 'running behind,' does that mean they have not yet sent out requests for interviews? I haven't gotten a request for an interview yet, so I was wondering whether or not I should cross it off my list.

For internships like these, is it recommended to follow up via email or phone or would they just perceive that as pesky?