NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has heard either way? I haven't yet, and even though I'm fairly certain about the decision, I would still like an email from them and some closure on this chapter.

Thanks!

I am still waiting to hear back for sociology. I wouldn't read too much into the timing, because I have heard differing reports about the order of the yes and no responses. A friend of mine got it after applying in the fall, but didn't hear back until after other people in our department received no answers. I have also heard of people being notified of getting the grant before declines went out. I will post when I hear anything. Good luck to all!  

Still waiting here for political science. I know some acceptances have gone out but I'm still waiting to hear anything either way (I'm assuming it's a rejection at this point). Has anyone else heard anything?

I emailed several weeks ago asking about my status and requesting my reviews...didn't get a response. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone gotten word on Sociology? 

I haven't heard anything, and my proposal status in Fastlane is still pending. Anyone else?

I have only heard news of people who received the award. Has anyone heard of declines going out yet? 

I haven't heard anything, and my proposal status in Fastlane is still pending. Anyone else?

I have only heard news of people who received the award. Has anyone heard of declines going out yet? 

I am in the same boat. I applied for the Soc DDIG, but my fastlane status is still pending. I have also only heard of those who have received award, anf nothing from those who haven't. (But also, all my information is pretty much coming from this forum).

I NEED HELP!  In the reviews for my last submission, in August 2013, I received very conflicting feedback on my methodology section.  One reviewer said that “the methods section…has been crafted with uncommon care, and is this proposal’s strongest component”.  Another critiqued my methodology, and stated that the methods were not “sufficiently described”.  How can I address the comments of two reviewers who completely disagree on this???

I NEED HELP!  In the reviews for my last submission, in August 2013, I received very conflicting feedback on my methodology section.  One reviewer said that “the methods section…has been crafted with uncommon care, and is this proposal’s strongest component”.  Another critiqued my methodology, and stated that the methods were not “sufficiently described”.  How can I address the comments of two reviewers who completely disagree on this???

Nrrrdgrrrl, I hear you. I am wondering, though - is the person who critiqued your methods the same person who was extremely rude and unprofessional in the comments (you mentioned this previously)? If so, I would lean on the side of the other reviewer, but perhaps try to see where you might be more explicit in your protocol of some of your methods (it helps if you've already done this for IRB, or if you have done some pilot research that you could pull from). I wouldn't scrap what you have, just expand in some areas. That's my advice, though as someone who is still unfunded, feel free to ignore it...

I have a question about revising as well: Do the same people who reviewed us last time review us again? I had heard that WG does this, but wasn't sure about NSF...

If you are reapplying to Cultural Anthro, and haven't seen this yet, make note:

"All submissions to this program must be accompanied by a letter from the faculty member serving as the principal investigator (PI) of the proposal affirming that the student will be prepared to undertake the proposed research within 6 months after a DDRIG award is made, barring unforeseen events and circumstances. In addition, the PI must affirm that she/he has read the proposal, and believes that it makes a strong case for support of the dissertation research project. If the proposal is a revision, the letter must affirm that the revision deals fully with reviewer criticisms of the previous submission."

Also:

"Beginning with proposals submitted to the August 15, 2014 target date, a student Co-PI may not RE-SUBMIT a DDRIG proposal more than once, for a total of two (2) proposals to the CA Program. Under very rare circumstances and with the prior permission of the program, it may be possible to waive this rule once, for a total of 3 submissions."

I am trying to figure out if it would be more strategic to put it off until January or just give up and resubmit in August and hope for the best this time around.

Nrrrdgrrrl, I hear you. I am wondering, though - is the person who critiqued your methods the same person who was extremely rude and unprofessional in the comments (you mentioned this previously)? If so, I would lean on the side of the other reviewer, but perhaps try to see where you might be more explicit in your protocol of some of your methods (it helps if you've already done this for IRB, or if you have done some pilot research that you could pull from). I wouldn't scrap what you have, just expand in some areas. That's my advice, though as someone who is still unfunded, feel free to ignore it...

I have a question about revising as well: Do the same people who reviewed us last time review us again? I had heard that WG does this, but wasn't sure about NSF...

No, I'm basically ignoring the comments of the super rude reviewer...if they refuse to even provide constructive feedback, I don't need them!  I am basically keeping the methods, but trying to more explicitly connect those with the theory and objectives, which makes sense!  Hopefully it will appease the reviewers.

From my understanding, they try to send it back to at least one of the original reviewers, if possible.  I certainly hope I get the nice person!!!

If you are reapplying to Cultural Anthro, and haven't seen this yet, make note:

"All submissions to this program must be accompanied by a letter from the faculty member serving as the principal investigator (PI) of the proposal affirming that the student will be prepared to undertake the proposed research within 6 months after a DDRIG award is made, barring unforeseen events and circumstances. In addition, the PI must affirm that she/he has read the proposal, and believes that it makes a strong case for support of the dissertation research project. If the proposal is a revision, the letter must affirm that the revision deals fully with reviewer criticisms of the previous submission."

Also:

"Beginning with proposals submitted to the August 15, 2014 target date, a student Co-PI may not RE-SUBMIT a DDRIG proposal more than once, for a total of two (2) proposals to the CA Program. Under very rare circumstances and with the prior permission of the program, it may be possible to waive this rule once, for a total of 3 submissions."

I am trying to figure out if it would be more strategic to put it off until January or just give up and resubmit in August and hope for the best this time around.

Yeah, this is craziness.  I had to tell my advisor (who is on sabbatical), that I needed this in a month.  Luckily, she's awesome.

I hope that it will make the process more streamlined, and will actually reward people who work hard on revisions, and discourage people who just keep sending in crappy work.  At least, that's what I'm hoping...

But, since at least one of my reviewers thought MY work was crappy, I guess this might weed me out in the process!  HAHA.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my PI and I made a silly mistake in my recent application to the Cultural Anthropology NSF DDIG; one of the new requirements is a statement from the PI, certifying that the researcher (me) has prepared a convincing proposal, and is ready for the research outlined...but it is NOT a letter of recommendation.  Apparently, the letter submitted was too recommendation-y for the scientists at NSF.

Weird thing is this: rather than just rejecting the proposal, I got an email asking me to fix the issue and update the application.  Is this a sign that they found the project at least somewhat compelling?  Or is it common to give everyone the chance to adjust/fix/update mistakes in their applications?

I'm hoping it's a good sign for this resubmission!  What do you all think???

• 2 weeks later...

I HOPE it's a good sign, although in my experience these funding agencies are pretty fair in the way they handle compliance checks. I had a similar issue with a formatting thing with Wenner Gren - I find it comforting that they just asked me to fix the problem rather than throw it in the reject pile for noncompliance, but I'm not going to let it get my hopes up.

• 1 month later...

I received unofficial word via email today that my proposal (cultural anthro) was not marked high enough to receive funding in the first panel that met last week. The second panel is meeting now, so supposedly those of us who were not successful this time around will have reviews within the next 3-4 weeks. Thankfully, I got a Wenner-Gren, but more money would have been nice! Best of luck to others.

I received unofficial word via email today that my proposal (cultural anthro) was not marked high enough to receive funding in the first panel that met last week. The second panel is meeting now, so supposedly those of us who were not successful this time around will have reviews within the next 3-4 weeks. Thankfully, I got a Wenner-Gren, but more money would have been nice! Best of luck to others.

how did you find this out?  Did you ask for information, or was it provided to you freely?  I ask because I applied to cultural anthropology as well, and haven't heard anything!