NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Another week of "pending" status and no contact for me. Some friends have told me no news is good news, but I can't imagine they are funding everyone they haven't contacted, are they?

Mata, in my experience, it seems like there is an initial first wave of rejections, and then there are sort of rolling waves of both acceptances and rejections. I've seen cases of there being more than a month between people in the same department being notified. Hang in there! No news isn't automatically good news, but it does mean you weren't in the first round of cuts.  

Thanks, ginger. It's too bad they can't just let everyone know at the same time, but I assume this is so that they can inform as many people as early as they can. Still, it's rough to hang in the unknown. Hopefully not too much longer so that all waiting can make plans either way.

HAHA...worked for W-G.  But I applied for NSF way back in August, and didn't get feedback until mid-March, so there's no telling with this beast.

But, for your sake, I'm going to say that you guys won't be getting any information this week at all!

Cultural Anthros:

I emailed Deborah Winslow about notifications and thought I'd share her response:

"Thank you for your message. 

The dissertation proposal recommendations are being finalized one-by-one; there is no mass mailing, so researchers will indeed be hearing at different times. We hope to be finishing up within the next two weeks. Generally, with an NSF proposal, you should allow 6 months from the time you submit it until you hear the outcome.

Very best,

Deborah Winslow"

Also it may be worth noting that she has an away message indicating that she is out of the office until 4/30. So it seems fair to assume we may not hear until May. 

Until then, try to breathe. :)

Mumstheword thanks for letting us all know, much appreciated! Now, I'm going to try to not have a panic attack for the next two weeks straight! Haha Good luck everyone!

Anyone else resubmitting for Aug 15 cultural anthro?  I submitted last August, but didn't get reviews back until March!  I have some work to do to make my project appeal to the hard-core anthropologists (I come from Religious Studies), but if I can convince them my research is worthwhile, I think I can convince anyone!

On a sort of related note: Does anyone know what the deal is with equipment purchased through the NSF? I'm still waiting to hear but just curious--it says online that it equipment becomes property of your institution, but do you get to keep it for as long as you're a student or only during the year that you hold the grant? I'm thinking of stuff like a camera and a laptop, not lab equipment. 

Equipment purchased with a DDIG is treated like equipment purchased with any other NSF grant. In most places that means it technically belongs to the dept/school and is housed and cared for by your lab, and used as seen fit. Once purchased it belongs to the lab, not NSF, and they no longer care.

Anybody have news on the SBE division? A friend of mine just got an acceptance, so I'm guessing since I didn't hear anything I'm a reject. But I think in other divisions (anthro?) acceptances and rejections rollout together over a longer period.... any information out there on SBE....?

Hi all,

My adviser received an email yesterday stating "I am happy to inform you that your DDRIG proposal...was ranked as highly competitive by the STS panel. The STS program intends to recommend this project be awarded." So is this like a done deal? Email also said: "The award is not official until it has been approved by our division directors and the grants office here." Does anyone know how consequential this last step is?

Edited by papertiger311

Waitingtohearback: I was wondering the same thing. I heard somewhere that the review panel for Sociology was meeting on the week of May 12th. I am not sure how the process works though. I had applied for the Oct 2013 cycle, got rejected, but in the email they sent they had said the panel met on Dec 12-13. i received the decision email on Jan 10th 2014. It's possible the lag was because of the holidays, or it could just be how the bureaucracy functions.

Usually you can write to the program office and request them straight away. They should email them back to you (I got mine the day after I received the rejection in the fall cycle and requested the comments. A request from the PI may expedite things).

I am still waiting for a response from Geography and Spatial Sciences (Feb 13, 2014 submission deadline, March 27 external review). On Fastlane, my status date changed on May 24 but the status is still listed as pending. Has anyone heard anything from this program?