NSF DDIG

spinnergal

I think mine just got changed because Toni WinklerPrins took a job @ Hopkins, so she is maybe off NSF stuff now?

My program office hasn't changed and is still listed as WinklerPrins. She's also still on the website, so I'm hoping it's not a bad sign?

The Anthro due date and review date were both a month before Geography, and they started hearing back in the second week of May, so I'm hoping next week will be the start of notifications. I know social science funding at NSF is under the gun so while I thought my proposal was pretty good I am working very hard not to get my hopes up. I'm also working hard to obsess over it, but I have another funding-related deadline coming up and my response to it should hinge on whether or not I have gotten the NSF grant, so I'm hoping to know soon.

My PI is working from home all summer, and I know the government agencies like the phone calls, so I might have her send out a feeler to WinklerPrins under the guise of wanting to inform them she's not available on her office line...

• 2 weeks later...

It's already past mid-june and my proposal status is still pending. Is there something wrong with the notification system? Did they just forget about me? 

Or are there still people out there with pending status in anthro? Should I still be hopeful or should I just give up and move on with my life ? :)

Still haven't heard on the Sociology NSF DDIG (Submission date was Feb 15).  My status is still pending as are my other friends in the sociology program that applied. 

I contacted my program director last year.  At about the same time in the process (I had submitted January 15th and it was early July).  She told me that she couldn't tell me anything and that the cycle was nearly done - which I took to mean that I should just sit tight because I would hear something soon.  I did here something a few days after.

I'm in the same boat this year, but plan to just wait until I hear something.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know how the government shutdown affected the panel review? When will we hear back? Any idea of whether or not it will be before the Jan. 15 deadline?

well, they already promised a 6 month max window before the shutdown, so that means awards can be announced til Mid February (from the August 15th submission deadline), and i think i have friends who heard late jan/early february last year, so i'd assume at this point this earliest we'd hear is mid feb... but who knows at this point?

Edited by padthai234

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the DDIG and my review date was originally scheduled for October 17th, but since that was the day the shutdown was resolved I imagine it was not reviewed--after the NSF came back in business my status changed from "Review Date October 17th" back to "pending" which is how it looked before a review date was scheduled.

However, when I click on the application number for details it says that the proposal was reviewed on October 17th. Is this just an automated message? Does a proposal revert to "pending" after it's been reviewed or does this mean my review date is yet to be rescheduled? Anyone have a similar experience?

I was hoping to reapply for the January deadline if I am not successful this round, and wish I could find out if there's any chance I'll hear before then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give this thread a bump.  My DDIG external review date was apparently the 21st of October, but I haven't heard anything.  Anyone else?  Any info on how the shutdown will affect the announcements?

Is the only way to know your external review date through the panel review schedule website (http://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp)? I googled it and found the schedule, but on fastlane there is no reference to an external review date. The BCS date for my particular reviewers has come and gone. I believe it was November 4-5th, but now that it's passed and it's no longer on the schedule, I'm not sure that that was the actual date.

no... sign into fast lane, click on proposal function, then proposal status, then click the # of your proposal. it will have your external peer review date in bold. tho if it was during the shutdown then it didn't happen and still hasn't

• 2 weeks later...

So, if we don't hear by Jan. 15, can we still resubmit? I would think not, since we don't have any feedback from which to work (unless of course the project has changed in some significant way).

It's kind of frustrating that they don't at least update us with the new external peer review date.

This is the full content of the email I received. It looks like we will be getting feedback...at some point.

What I can tell you right now is that we have not received all the reviews on these proposals and won't be able to convene the panels until December. The shutdown resulted in the cancellation of our panels in October.

We will try to get feedback about the status of your proposal as quickly as we can, but there is a severe backlog throughout the Foundation. Wish I could be more helpful. Try me after December 9 and I should have more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Followung Jeff mantz's recommendation, I emailed him back today to ask whether they knew more about the time line or not. He said that the panels met Thursday and Friday, and he gave me my unofficial (negative) results. Debating whether or not to reapply, for the third time. Probably not. But good luck to others. Email him, and he'll give you some news.