NSF DDIG

spinnergal

I submitted mine in Economics on January 5, and it went to external peer review on 3/25. I haven't heard anything since. Hmph.

I suspect that "external peer review" means something different depending on your field. I speculate that, given how long this is taking, "external peer review" in econ means that it is out to reviewers, which is basically like saying it's floating in limbo for who knows how long. Anybody have some greater wisdom on this?

I submitted mine in Economics on January 5, and it went to external peer review on 3/25. I haven't heard anything since. Hmph.

I suspect that "external peer review" means something different depending on your field. I speculate that, given how long this is taking, "external peer review" in econ means that it is out to reviewers, which is basically like saying it's floating in limbo for who knows how long. Anybody have some greater wisdom on this?

i applied to economics as well. my application was also sent to external peer review on 3/25 and i haven't heard anything either. someone i know that applied two years ago got his decision (recommended) end of may. someone else told me he got his rejection early may. yet another person didn't hear back at all - when she wrote to them in mid-july asking if a decision had ever been made, they told her that she had not been recommended, but didn't give her any reviews... all of these people applied to econ. so i guess i'm really not sure how this works :(

I don't want to cause any undue stress, but I think we all like to have as much info as possible. So, here goes: I received an email on Wed, May 30 saying that I've been recommended for funding by Cultural Anthro and Law and Social Science. The email came from the Law and Social Science division...if that means anything. The email included some instructions as to a couple extra documents I need to provide before the recommendation could be made, and it also included my reviews. Also, just some encouragement to persevere - this was my second time applying, and I found that the reviewer's comments from my first round were very very helpful in drafting my second application.

Good luck to all of you still waiting!!

Biological Anthropology applicants are now being notified (happily, I got one). If you haven't heard from them, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't get one. In the last round (where I was not successful), there were high and low priority awardees. It's possible the low priority awardees won't hear for a bit. I don't know. I'm just saying don't jump to a conclusion without getting all the information...and good luck.

Congratulations, gifthorse! Do you mind if I ask how you were notified of NSF's decision? Sadly I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Biological Anthropology applicants are now being notified (happily, I got one). If you haven't heard from them, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't get one. In the last round (where I was not successful), there were high and low priority awardees. It's possible the low priority awardees won't hear for a bit. I don't know. I'm just saying don't jump to a conclusion without getting all the information...and good luck.

Chocolatey, I heard back from the Bio Anth program director on Friday (recommended for funding) via email. I applied before and there are tiers of competitiveness-- so don't despair! I have already heard of rejections and acceptances... At this point, the longer you don't hear back it probably means that you are still in a competitive position.

Congratulations, gifthorse! Do you mind if I ask how you were notified of NSF's decision? Sadly I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Hi, has anyone heard about Political Science? The only change in my status was the Program Director, but I don´t think that means anything. I applied on January and the review was on May 7th.

• 5 months later...

I applied for bio anth in August; Fastlane says that external review began on 11/5, and the last status update ('pending') is on 11/19. Not sure how long it usually takes to be informed after the external review. I wonder if they may wait until the fiscal cliff shenanigans are resolved; we might see some cuts in science funding :(

For those waiting on August bio anth DDIGs, I was notified in mid-November that my proposal was successful (this was my second submission). Don't lose hope until you hear back, as they may not make all decisions at once, or some proposals may be recommended for funding but at a lower priority. Good luck!