NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Does anyone know what the process is like once your proposal has been approved? I was unofficially notified that I'm getting funded more than a month ago (they had me do a rushed IRB approval so I think they contacted me earlier than they otherwise would have) but since then no official word has come. I hear that at some point you receive the panel's comments and need to make changes - does anyone know what the timeline for that is like? When are the reviews sent, how much time do you have to reply? My experience with the NSF so far is that everything is always rushed and last-minute and I'm trying to avoid that this time. Thanks!

I don't know if it's common or not. They contacted my PI because of an issue with my IRB - I was going to just use my department's normal protocol which is already approved (I'm not doing anything that's not covered under it) but they wanted me to have my own. So my PI was apparently told that they want to fund me but they need to straighten out the IRB problem before it can be official. I fast-tracked an IRB process right after than and then haven't heard from them since. It's been about 3-4 weeks.

I don't know if it's common or not. They contacted my PI because of an issue with my IRB - I was going to just use my department's normal protocol which is already approved (I'm not doing anything that's not covered under it) but they wanted me to have my own. So my PI was apparently told that they want to fund me but they need to straighten out the IRB problem before it can be official. I fast-tracked an IRB process right after than and then haven't heard from them since. It's been about 3-4 weeks.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the process is like once your proposal has been approved? I was unofficially notified that I'm getting funded more than a month ago (they had me do a rushed IRB approval so I think they contacted me earlier than they otherwise would have) but since then no official word has come. I hear that at some point you receive the panel's comments and need to make changes - does anyone know what the timeline for that is like? When are the reviews sent, how much time do you have to reply? My experience with the NSF so far is that everything is always rushed and last-minute and I'm trying to avoid that this time. Thanks!

Answering my own question, for future reference. It took another month - I finally got a "pre-award" letter last week. The letter includes the panel's reviews and its recommendation, and now I need to submit a reply to the reviews and make some small changes to my application. Once I do that I will be officially approved; the start date on my app was changed to March 1 but I can get reimbursed for any expenses incurred up to 90 days earlier.

Contacting the applicant with the unofficial decision is apparently not uncommon (at least in linguistics) - I recently learned at a conference that it also happened to other people who got the DDIG in the past ~5 years or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Answering my own question, for future reference. It took another month - I finally got a "pre-award" letter last week. The letter includes the panel's reviews and its recommendation, and now I need to submit a reply to the reviews and make some small changes to my application. Once I do that I will be officially approved; the start date on my app was changed to March 1 but I can get reimbursed for any expenses incurred up to 90 days earlier.

Contacting the applicant with the unofficial decision is apparently not uncommon (at least in linguistics) - I recently learned at a conference that it also happened to other people who got the DDIG in the past ~5 years or so.

i just want to make sure of a few generalizations:

- "external review" date typically corresponds to the first (or only) day of the review panel meeting(s) found here: http://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp

- rejections and acceptances are generally sent out 2 weeks after the meeting date while those in limbo are held for a bit

- communications through email/fastlane status change

anyone want to jump in?

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else apply in November? Any idea when I can expect to hear back? I'm assuming not until around April or May?

I applied in November (DEB) and got a call last Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

i applied for the november 9th 2012 deadline. i'm showing external review date of 02/13/13........

Hey, where were you able to see the external review date?

Hey, where were you able to see the external review date?

Never mind! I found it on FastLane. Apparently mine has been under external review since 2/13/13, as well.

Edited by Asya

My fastlane proposal status page was apparently updated on March 22 (it had a January date listed as of Tuesday), but the status is still listed as "pending". It says that the review began on 2/23/13. Let the wait continue....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for merging my earlier post into this thread. Three of my friends found out last week that they didn't get it,but they applied through Environmental Biology. What's strange is that the NSF's timetable for review (http://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp) says that Environmental Biology panels are just starting to meet this week... So I don't know if they reject certain proposals off the bat before a panel even meets? Or maybe the panel dates posted on this site don't apply to DDIGS? Not sure. But I applied through Integrative Organismal Systems, and I still haven't heard anything.

Edited by jay1188

Answers for this seem really odd. A friend in another lab applied through DEB and heard in the beginning of March that he was declined, while two in my lab through IOS haven't heard a thing. It looks like replies are all over the place elsewhere, too?

I have a stab-in-the-dark thought on the extreme delay for notifications: a couple of folks on the thread, myself included, got offers RIGHT before the sequester. My thought is that there is a pool of other proposals the panel really liked and has been trying to figure out what of it is possible to fund as they're juggling this new fiscal constraint across all NSF organizations and granting schemes.

I have a stab-in-the-dark thought on the extreme delay for notifications: a couple of folks on the thread, myself included, got offers RIGHT before the sequester. My thought is that there is a pool of other proposals the panel really liked and has been trying to figure out what of it is possible to fund as they're juggling this new fiscal constraint across all NSF organizations and granting schemes.

LDY, care to share which program you and your friends applied through? I'm trying to find a single person who applied through IOS that has found out one way or the other.