NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Applied for the Nov. DEB deadline. Heard nothing yet. Such a draaaaaggggggg.

Same here! It says that it's been under review since 2/13/13. I'm hoping that means it's a good sign. If they really didn't like it at all, they would've declined it right away, right? I'm sure that's not how it works, but I've convinced myself that it is because it gives me hope! :)

Applied to IOS in Nov 2012 and still waiting to hear back. Fastlane says "pending" and that peer review began on 02/20 

Last year (November 2011 deadline) I know someone who received a phone call in March 2012 and was awarded the DDIG...I guess they are running behind this year due to the sequester..

I applied for the November IOS in the behavioral systems cluster and my status is still listed as "pending" with peer review starting on 2/20 as well. It seems like a few people from DEB have heard one way or another, but I have not been able to find anyone who applied to IOS that has heard anything at all. I think the idea about the sequester affecting decisions is probably right. Maybe the proposals have been ranked but they still don't know exactly how much they will be able to fund. Still, it would be nice to at least get reviews back or something....

I feel like a broken record, but any anthro folks hear back one way or another? 

I applied in January, got an email yesterday -- "The second NSF Cultural Anthropology Doctoral Dissertation Advisory Panel met at NSF on March 25 & 26, 2013. Your proposal was among those reviewed by that panel. They rated your proposal Not Competitive, so I am sorry to say that we will not be recommending that it be funded."

I applied in January, got an email yesterday -- "The second NSF Cultural Anthropology Doctoral Dissertation Advisory Panel met at NSF on March 25 & 26, 2013. Your proposal was among those reviewed by that panel. They rated your proposal Not Competitive, so I am sorry to say that we will not be recommending that it be funded."

Sorry about that... at least you have an answer though. Going on six months here with no response :( Haven't been able to find any other IOS folks who have heard either.

I'm sorry to hear that lumi. Wishing you better luck the next round!

Sorry about that... at least you have an answer though. Going on six months here with no response :( Haven't been able to find any other IOS folks who have heard either.

Have you checked the panel review sessions? There might still be one and then they may decide after that: http://www.nsf.gov/events/advisory.jsp.

Spoke with a program officer in IOS today... it wasn't a very pleasant interaction, so I don't recommend calling. But the information I got was that, at least for my program, they are having their final meeting on April 26th. I was told that, if I am getting it, I should hear by May 3rd. Not sure how broadly applicable that is for all of IOS applicants though.

Anyone know what it means when the status date changes but not the proposal status on Fastlane? My status date appears updated to this past Friday but the proposal status is still pending.

So I've been lurking on this forum and the Wenner Gren one for the past year during grant applications.  Although it's really just an excuse to not do other work, and I don't recommend it, it has been nice to have extra info.  In the spirit of giving back, here's what I know about the NSF DDIG (DDRIG) and status date changes (mine changed on the 18th too).  I'm quoting from another forum that deals with other NSF grants here:

"I realize that the conventional wisdom is that a status date change on FastLane (while the proposal status remains pending and the PO remains the same) typically means that reviews have been uploaded and rejection is bound to follow, but is that always the case? Has any forumite ever been awarded a CAREER (or any other NSF proposal) with a similar sequence of status changes on FastLane?

In my experience, there seems to be some truth to that. Usually, if your proposal is being recommended for funding, your program manager will contact you asking for a two paragraph abstract. In most of the times when I've seen the status date change on Fastlane without any contact from the program manager, the proposal was eventually declined. The only exception is when the program manager was a rotator, and responsibility for the proposal was transferred to another program manager after the rotator left, but that will be readily apparent on your Fastlane status page."

Me again:  I know that Deborah Winslow, who normally is the PO for the anth ddig, is on leave now.  I assume others are rotating in on a yearly basis, and I know that sometime around the time my status date changed, my PO also changed.  So, there you go: it doesn't mean anything in the end.

Good luck!

Huh, that's interesting.  I went from Mantz to McCarty, but I don't know when. I assumed it was the 18th, but maybe not.  I know that Mantz took over from Winslow about a year ago, little more.  Don't know why this latest switch happened--I assumed it was a year-long tenure.  We're all in the dark as to whether any of it is negative, positive, or means anything at all...

Edited by ADDABD

As of this morning, when I sign into fastlane, it says that there is no proposal. Very strange. I'm interpreting that as its almost definitely been declined. Has this happened to anyone else?

As of this morning, when I sign into fastlane, it says that there is no proposal. Very strange. I'm interpreting that as its almost definitely been declined. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, this happened to me as well. I'm assuming the same thing.

Yes, this happened to me as well. I'm assuming the same thing.

It happened to me a couple of time last week before the proposal came back on as 'pending' again. I am assuming that happens when they are updating the site/ proposal. I don't think it means anything positive or negative, just that they are working on the proposal...

Well, just got a call from the IOS program officer that my proposal is being recommended for funding! My proposal went invisible on fastlane yesterday for a while and the status date also changed a few days ago, but is still listed as "pending" with a review date of 2/20. So, maybe those quirks are not necessarily bad things. Good luck everyone!