NSF DDIG

spinnergal

Nrrrrdgrrrrl, did you have a positive funding outcome? just curious if any acceptances had gone out yet!

Nope; though no news at this point is definitely not necessarily good news, I'd say it indicates a glimmer of hope!

The best thing about NSF is that the reviews are thorough, and the program officers are ridiculously helpful.  

GOOD LUCK!

Still pending for me, as well. Last time I applied, I didn't get my rejection for a few weeks after classmates of mine had gotten their rejections. I think they must have a multi-step process for final awards. That, or they just send out decisions as quickly as they can rather than all at once. 

Anyone else hear anything?

I know it's a multi-step process.   The first batch of applications (mine included) were already reviewed, but they are doing another batch soon, I believe.  Keep checking FastLane; the results show there way before any emails are sent.

Thanks for the info. Ugh, waiting is easy when you have no idea when you'll hear anything, but when it's imminent, it's hard to stay patient.

I hope the grant gods will soon shower copious research dollars on all waiting to hear form NSF and all those applying for other upcoming deadlines!

Hey all. Just wondering, for those of you who already have reviews up, when did it say yours went out for external peer review? Mine says it began on the 20th and it says still pending. I know in the spring it looked like there were two panels that met at slightly different times and people I knew who were in the earlier one found out a lot sooner that they hadn't gotten it. 

Hi everyone, i got informal news today that my proposal was 'recommended for funding' within cultural anthropology. My review date was on Oct 14th. Hope others are getting good news!

Hi all, I also got informal news today (an email from Deb Winslow) that my proposal is recommended for funding in cultural anthropology. I was on the second review panel (review date October 20th). Wishing everyone else the best!

For those Biological Anth people who submitted this summer, with a review date of Oct 23rd, it looks like some rejections have gone out. My advisor had several students apply and got notice of one's rejects. The rest of us were labeled competitive. However, I have not actually heard anything, nor has my status been updated. I think there are more reviews to go.

For those Biological Anth people who submitted this summer, with a review date of Oct 23rd, it looks like some rejections have gone out. My advisor had several students apply and got notice of one's rejects. The rest of us were labeled competitive. However, I have not actually heard anything, nor has my status been updated. I think there are more reviews to go.

I'm in the bio anth 10/23 review date camp. If you haven't heard anything through a status update or otherwise, how do you know you were labeled competitive?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Update for Biological Anth:

I was just sent an email this morning that I was recommended and they need some updated documentation from me - like a new budget in case I found extra funding etc. While recommended does not mean that I absolutely have it, it is a very good sign. I looked at my status in fastlane and nothing has changes. Not the date or the info. 

The other student in our cohort has not gotten an email yet. She looked at her status in fastlane. The status date has changed from August to 11/1/14, but there is nothing new when she clicks on it. This happened to me last round and I was rejected. 

Update Update for Biological Anth:

A little birdie told me yesterday that the panel is going to be meeting again soon to discuss proposals that were not immediately recommended in the last round. So just because you have not heard, does NOT mean you are out of the running.  

Interesting, thanks for the updates.

Yeah, my gf got the news 2 days ago-- no dice :(

I'm still in purgatory, hopefully you all have reduced budgets :P

No status date change so maybe that's good? who knows

Sorry about your gf =(   Hopefully this was just rejection #1 for her, it is really unusual to get it your first time. This was try #2 for me and I got a bunch of other grants prior to my second submission (and rejections) all of which helped me write a much better proposal second time around. 

----But sorry - I still need all allocated monies :(

Minor question.  There is nothing as far as I can tell in either the program specific guidelines or the NSF guidelines that indicates what referencing or in-text citation format to use.  I would like to be able to use numerical in-text citations and put the references in the order that they appear in the text but I'm not sure if that's allowed.  

There are no set guidelines so long as you use a standard format that includes pertinent information ( Authors, Date, Journal, access info). Consider, however, how GOD DAMNED ANNOYING it is to have to search through a citation list for every bit of info. Presumably, the reviewers are at least moderately familiar with the major works or researchers in a field, and thus would recognize major citations or at least a given author's research area.

For Bio Anth they are specific that your references must be in alphabetical order (or were last round). Besides that you can use any citation format. Most people use APA style for the reference list itself, but have numbers in text like Nature. This is how everyone I know does it for Bio Anth. So that my author last name A____ is #1 and Z____ is #68 regardless of where in the text it is placed. 

The advantage though in using numerical in-text citations is that it takes up far less space.  You hardly lose any lines due to citations.  And if you tend to add in-text citations only after you're done writing then there's no problem with judging how much room you need to leave to avoid going over the page limit.

The advantage though in using numerical in-text citations is that it takes up far less space.  You hardly lose any lines due to citations.  And if you tend to add in-text citations only after you're done writing then there's no problem with judging how much room you need to leave to avoid going over the page limit.

Exactly. Which is why most people I know use the method I mentioned. 

• 2 weeks later...