Charlottesville, VA

Guest guest

On 2/22/2018 at 5:04 AM, wheresmysnow said:

Bump

I'll likely be attending UVA in the fall. Where can I get an HONEST city guide about places to find and places to avoid as a grad student? 

I'm most likely attending UVA this fall too.  Can anyone provide updated insight on decent and safe neighborhoods as well as property management to avoid... (i.e. Eagles Landing)? 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit Charlottesville before moving at the end of July so I'm a bit worried about finding a studio, 1-bedroom apartment or shared living spaces that are cat-friendly. (I've visited to Richmond during undergrad...)

It seems more efficient to have a car in Charlottesville, which I would not mind investing in but I prefer to bike or use public transport. Does anyone have experience with this too?

7 hours ago, Harlequin1890 said:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit Charlottesville before moving at the end of July so I'm a bit worried about finding a studio, 1-bedroom apartment or shared living spaces that are cat-friendly.

I've been using brac.com to find places. It's solely for the Charlottesville area. There's also sites like Zillow, Craigslist, Padmapper, Trulia, and others but yeah it's difficult to judge the landlords and whatnot. 

7 hours ago, Harlequin1890 said:

It seems more efficient to have a car in Charlottesville, which I would not mind investing in but I prefer to bike or use public transport. Does anyone have experience with this too?

https://www.walkscore.com/VA/Charlottesville

Charlottesville has a decent walkability score, especially downtown and the university area. I don't have a car, but plan to get a bike. I know the public transport isn't great, though the CAT seems somewhat useful and UVA faculty/students ride for free. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I've been admitted to UVA this fall and I was hoping to hear the thoughts of current students about the different housing options on campus.

Has anyone here lived on the Range? It sounds very prestigious, and I suppose it's quite difficult to get accepted to live there. I really like the idea of living in a building that has so much history. In terms of location it's unbeatable because it's a mere two-minute walk from my department. But what is it like living there? Are the rooms not a bit cramped? Is it manageable to have to go outdoors to get to the bathroom? I am used to having a living room and my own kitchen, but living on the Range does seem like a quite an experience (perhaps even just for a year?).

How about Copeley Hill, Faulkner Drive, and University Gardens? I really like the idea of living on campus because it's just so beautiful there. But do you think I'm better off looking for an apartment outside campus?

3 minutes ago, posi+ivity said:

Hi everyone, 

I've been admitted to UVA this fall and I was hoping to hear the thoughts of current students about the different housing options on campus.

Has anyone here lived on the Range? It sounds very prestigious, and I suppose it's quite difficult to get accepted to live there. I really like the idea of living in a building that has so much history. In terms of location it's unbeatable because it's a mere two-minute walk from my department. But what is it like living there? Are the rooms not a bit cramped? Is it manageable to have to go outdoors to get to the bathroom? I am used to having a living room and my own kitchen, but living on the Range does seem like a quite an experience (perhaps even just for a year?).

How about Copeley Hill, Faulkner Drive, and University Gardens? I really like the idea of living on campus because it's just so beautiful there. But do you think I'm better off looking for an apartment outside campus?

Oh, and do people really say "grounds" instead of "campus" all the time? ^_^

2 hours ago, posi+ivity said:

I can't help you much with different housing options and comparing them as I'm just starting (and just signed a lease for an apartment off grounds, but I've received advice to snatch up a place ASAP because Cville is tiny and housing is very limited. This may be different if you live on grounds, but regarding finding your own place I've already found it to be very true. Rent is high and places are already being rented (and not just me). 

A current student in my dept advised me to use the Off Grounds Housing portal, but you need to already have accepted their offer and received a university ID. 

I found my place on Craigslist. Otherwise, sites like BRAC, Hotpads, Zillow, and others are useful. 

2 hours ago, posi+ivity said:

Oh, and do people really say "grounds" instead of "campus" all the time?

Yes. Watch this video and learn some of the others at UVA. 

17 hours ago, posi+ivity said:

Hi everyone, 

Hi! I lived on the Range during my two year MA program . I was on Selections Committee that first year and was the Vice Chair of Selections during my second year. It's a competitive application but truly holistic. The rooms are small, absolutely, and you'll have to get creative with cooking or (as I did) get a university meal plan. The bathroom situation is not a problem at all, haha. I lived on both East and West Range, so I can speak to both sides of the Range. In short, I loved my time there. 

And yes, it is Grounds. :D

Shoot me a PM if you'd like more information on the Range - while I've obviously been out for a couple of years, I'm pretty sure I can answer almost any question you will have. 

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

Thanks a lot for your advice @a_sort_of_fractious_angel and @wheresmysnow!

Can I also ask you what it's like living there? I'm quite concerned after the violent events that transpired last year... The members of the department admissions committee who interviewed me reassured me that Charlottesville is still a safe place to live in for students who identify as persons of color and/or queer. Would you mind sharing your thoughts?

5 minutes ago, posi+ivity said:

Thanks a lot for your advice @a_sort_of_fractious_angel and @wheresmysnow!

Can I also ask you what it's like living there? I'm quite concerned after the violent events that transpired last year... The members of the department admissions committee who interviewed me reassured me that Charlottesville is still a safe place to live in for students who identify as persons of color and/or queer. Would you mind sharing your thoughts?

I'll send you a PM :)

On 3/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I'll send you a PM :)

Could I have this question answered? I'm coming from a place with a similar history/climate as UVA, but would like to hear any other thoughts about life there as a LGBTQ POC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm bumping the Charlottesville topic because I'm super in need of some tips! My husband and I are in something of a housing pickle. We had been counting on getting into UVA housing, but we've been on a perpetual waitlist even though we applied THE VERY DAY the application became available back in April. We are moving to Charlottesville in roughly five weeks, and I keep striking out in my housing search. My husband doesn't have a job in Charlottesville yet, so our income is too low to qualify us for Affordable Housing. However, every other decent rental is almost surely outside our current budget (we'll be living on my stipend to start out). So, does anyone have any tips for apartment searching this late in the game? Any advice or encouragement is much appreciated. ?

If you are okay with a bit of a drive, I would recommend looking at some of the surrounding communities and counties. The prices will be lower and you won't be competing with as many undergrads or other students for housing. The downside is traffic and paying for parking, but you can always park at a commuter/free parking lot and walk/bike the rest of the way.

As for LGBTQ+ and persons of color, Charlottesville itself isn't a bad place to be. The further that you move from the University however, the worse things can get in a hurry. I'm not saying that you need to worry about your physical safety per se, but things might become at least socially uncomfortable in some of the really small towns or gas stations.1 On the other side of the same coin, there are places in Charlottesville that can be less than socially comfortable for white people. As always, be aware of your surroundings and if it seems or feels wrong, it probably is.2

My housing option fell through so it looks like I might have a bit of a commute from August to December. After that (or perhaps before), my wife and I are planning to buy a house; if anyone else is intending to do so, I can give my thoughts on staying in the area long term/areas in which to consider purchasing a home. This is a good calculator to compare buying versus renting.

Notes

1. I grew up less than an hour from Charlottesville and have seen or heard of some less than stellar things happening.

2. I was also in the Army and a police officer; this is generally good advice no matter where you are and has kept me mostly intact ?

Edited by AnthroScout

• 7 months later...

I am considering UVA for grad. Unfortunately i had a bad incident in a town 20 minutes away. My friend and I went to eat at a restaurant. The waitress only addressed my friend. I didn't give a crap but she was definitely being racist.

All the students i met at uva were nice and cool but idk if i want to live in an environment where i notice that sort of thing so close to the university and where i'll be living for next 5-6 years.

convince me otherwise, i'd like to hear someone else's view... maybe i shouldnt consider that factor into account

2 hours ago, dontor said:

I am considering UVA for grad. Unfortunately i had a bad incident in a town 20 minutes away. My friend and I went to eat at a restaurant. The waitress only addressed my friend. I didn't give a crap but she was definitely being racist.

All the students i met at uva were nice and cool but idk if i want to live in an environment where i notice that sort of thing so close to the university and where i'll be living for next 5-6 years.

convince me otherwise, i'd like to hear someone else's view... maybe i shouldnt consider that factor into account

Are you an international student?

no i've grown up in america but i'm from pakistan. i also don't have an accent if that matters.

regardless, i'll try to make my final decision about my future research, how i feel regarding just the uva culture and lab in which i'll be in. but i this was just more of a concern regarding the surrounding areas

Edited by dontor

• 2 weeks later...

just for any future readers... i will add that after visiting uva and meeting the bme students and faculty, it seems like a great environment that is working hard to increase their diversity and be inclusive for everyone!

22 hours ago, dontor said:

just for any future readers... i will add that after visiting uva and meeting the bme students and faculty, it seems like a great environment that is working hard to increase their diversity and be inclusive for everyone!

I can second that diversity is a HOT topic here and the university is doing its best to be on top of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, dontor said:

I've lived in Charlottesville for about 7 years. The people in town are relatively diverse and on the liberal side (the UVA STEM community even more so), so I would consider that type of behavior very unexpected and unusual... The towns outside of Charlottesville tend to be more rural/"southern" so perhaps the reaction you encountered there is more probable? Anyway, Charlottesville is pretty progressive in the scheme of things and I don't think there is anything that should deter someone from living here... hopefully we don't have anymore white supremacist rallies (those folks are from outside of town)....

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 10:00 PM, Psygeek said:

yes to a car + housing market is pretty OK but I wouldn't wait too long.

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for areas to focus on when looking for housing?

7 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for areas to focus on when looking for housing?

the corner is where the undergrads live. JPA area and Fry's spring is more a mix of faculty and students. Downtown seems also liked by many but a bit further from campus. North Grounds is also good (but my building is on the south side of the campus). If you want more specific info, just send me a PM :)