TSA locks

Strangefox

I was choosing a suitcase and I found out that now there is an opportunity to buy a special TSA lock. So what is that?

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

(TSA = Transportation Security Administration)

Basically, it means that if you have an ordinary lock and they want to inspect your luggage - they just break it, they have a right to do it. But with this special lock they open it gently and then close so that your opening sequence remains intact.

I am going to buy me one! :)

Looks interesting, but how often does the TSA break into luggages? I've traveled to the US several times since 9/11 and had no issues with having padlocks on my luggages.

Although it may be better to have this lock than end up with your luggage having the padlock cut off.

Edited by newms

Looks interesting, but how often does the TSA break into luggages? I've traveled to the US several times since 9/11 and had no issues with having padlocks on my luggages.

Although it may be better to have this lock than end up with your luggage having the padlock cut off.

I've heard that TSA have recently become quite vicious, - have you read about Full Body Scanners controversy?

I've heard that TSA have recently become quite vicious, - have you read about Full Body Scanners controversy?

Yeah, and I almost went through one a couple weeks ago before I was diverted by the TSA agent to the regular pat down line. I guess it's better to have a lock like that since you wouldn't want them to cut off your lock, but I'm also guessing that situations in which they'd cut off your lock are pretty rare.

Edited by newms

You mean the controversy that really only exists due to the media stirring the pot?

I mean that: The TSA’s invasive new screening measures include officers literally putting their hands down people’s pants if they are wearing baggy clothing in a shocking new elevation of groping procedures that have stoked a nationwide revolt against privacy-busting airport security measures.

I think that problems behind this controversy are real. Body scanners cost taxpayers a lot of money and pat-down costs them a lot of nerves but these measures do not not guarantee against terrorist attacks.

Edited by Strangefox

Eh. I think people make too much out of it. I've never experienced any such problems on any of my flights.

It's like saying: I've never been robbed so people who have been robbed probably make too much out of it ;) You've been lucky, that's all.

Nobody says it happens to everyone - but it happens, I've read a number of extremely unpleasant stories when TSA actions seemed too much like molestation and abuse.

Edited by Strangefox

It's like saying: I've never been robbed so people who have been robbed probably make too much out of it ;) You've been lucky, that's all.

Nobody says it happens to everyone - but it happens, I've read a number of extremely unpleasant stories when TSA actions seemed too much like molestation and abuse.

Just like crime, however, it's also very easy to take a few very unpleasant stories and generalize them into normality. And far more people will take the time to write/talk about the unpleasant experiences they have had than the times where it was easy, quick, etc.

Edited by Eigen

Or, just buy very inexpensive locks so they're easy to replace should TSA happen to break them! How much do these special "TSA" locks cost? And if they have a master key, how long do we think it will be before less scrupulous people get copies of said master key?

Or, just buy very inexpensive locks so they're easy to replace should TSA happen to break them! How much do these special "TSA" locks cost? And if they have a master key, how long do we think it will be before less scrupulous people get copies of said master key?

TSA locks cost around 10 bucks or even less: http://www.nextag.co...ks/compare-html

Of course a broken lock can be replaced. The problem is that from the moment TSA breaks it and till the moment I get my suitcase back somebody can take something for it. So I would prefer to have my lock intact. Of course, some people can say that they've travelled with unlocked suitcases but why would I take this risk and invite trouble if I can have my suitcase locked?

Oh, and I've also read that they sometimes break locks carelessly and damage a suitcase (zipper).

Edited by Strangefox

I also thought a TSA lock would be a good idea, and so I got one for my last US-outbound flight. Imagine my surprise when I collected the bag and the lock wasn't there any more! Nothing was missing from the bag, so I'm quite certain TSA is to blame dry.gif

Edited by tew

I also thought a TSA lock would be a good idea, and so I got one for my last US-outbound flight. Imagine my surprise when I collected the bag and the lock wasn't there any more! Nothing was missing from the bag, so I'm quite certain TSA is to blame dry.gif

:(

You mean the controversy that really only exists due to the media stirring the pot?

Given the history of cancer in my family, I worry about the cumulative effects of increased exposure to full-body radiation over the course of my lifetime. Since TSA has admitted that the machines may emit more radiation than they originally said but have not said how much they do emit, they have done nothing to assuage my fears in that regard. That and I'm really not comfortable with being felt up in public.

I bought TSA-approved locks at Target. I think it was about $10 for 4 bright green luggage locks.

To answer your other question, the locks have a small number engraved on them to tell TSA which of their master keys to use. Given that there are supposedly only 9 types and the locks have been out for a number of years, you can assume that the less scrupulous people already have numerous copies of these master keys.

Given that there are supposedly only 9 types and the locks have been out for a number of years, you can assume that the less scrupulous people already have numerous copies of these master keys.

Do you think TSA locks are more vulnerable than ordinary locks?

I have no illusions about locks (or any other measures to protect your luggage, for that matter). I believe all locks can be opened/cut/broken so the point of a TSA lock for me is not that it is 100% safe but that it will not (most probably) be broken by TSA. They can break it too as one of the posters indicated but I don't think it happens that often. May be these locks malfunction sometimes and TSA have to break them.

Anyway, they are definetely not expensive, so I am going to use them :)

Edited by Strangefox

Given the history of cancer in my family, I worry about the cumulative effects of increased exposure to full-body radiation over the course of my lifetime. Since TSA has admitted that the machines may emit more radiation than they originally said but have not said how much they do emit, they have done nothing to assuage my fears in that regard. That and I'm really not comfortable with being felt up in public.

I don't know whether this might help to ease your fears a little:

http://www.theage.co...0330-1cfhr.html

My last understanding was that the dose was very minimal.... But I admit I haven't been following it that closely in the last month or so, so something new may have come to light.

Well, they say the dose is minimal but they refuse to allow independent testing of the machines. Most people wouldn't trust the pharmaceutical companies to give them medicine whose testing wasn't overseen so I'm not sure why I should trust the TSA to do so. The other issue is that comparing the radiation to specific x-rays is a bit misleading since dental x-rays target my mouth whereas a full-body scanner targets my entire body. As someone that flies frequently, I'm wondering what the effects of all of this will be when I'm 50 or 60.

Well, they say the dose is minimal but they refuse to allow independent testing of the machines. Most people wouldn't trust the pharmaceutical companies to give them medicine whose testing wasn't overseen so I'm not sure why I should trust the TSA to do so. The other issue is that comparing the radiation to specific x-rays is a bit misleading since dental x-rays target my mouth whereas a full-body scanner targets my entire body. As someone that flies frequently, I'm wondering what the effects of all of this will be when I'm 50 or 60.

The University of California conducted a study on the body scanners which was released on Monday:

http://archinte.ama-...ernmed.2011.105

I probably make a return flight on average once a month, and have yet to go through one of the body scanners - they seem to pick every third/fourth/fifth person, and everyone else goes through the metal detector. But yes, they should probably do more testing before the body scanners become the sole method of screening at airports. For now though, considering flying itself exposes you to much more radiation than the scanners, going through a body scanner very occasionally is not a health risk (as it says in the study).

I just don't put my valuables into checked luggage. Anything important I carry on and keep close to me at all times. This way you don't have to worry about locking your luggage. I have flown quite a bit, I have never locked my luggage and I have never had anything stolen. I'm more worried about airlines losing my luggage (damn you United!!) when no amount of locking will make a difference.

In terms of the body scanning, I agree with rising_star. Why expose yourself to unnecessary radiation? I know it's all around us but when I have a choice, I choose not to expose myself. So far the pat downs have not been bad but at this point I wouldn't be surprised by anything American security agencies do. They were treating people terribly long before the underwear bomber ever happened.

I just don't put my valuables into checked luggage. Anything important I carry on and keep close to me at all times. This way you don't have to worry about locking your luggage. I have flown quite a bit, I have never locked my luggage and I have never had anything stolen. I'm more worried about airlines losing my luggage (damn you United!!) when no amount of locking will make a difference.

You are so right!

By the way, are there any ways to prevent your luggage from being lost? Like put a note with your email it it so that in case it gets lost they could contact me?? Or would that be completely useless??

You are so right!

By the way, are there any ways to prevent your luggage from being lost? Like put a note with your email it it so that in case it gets lost they could contact me?? Or would that be completely useless??

It's always recommended to have your luggage labeled - the airlines all have tags and labels that you can use to label your luggage. The airlines also give you a baggage claim sticker that they stick onto your boarding pass that has a corresponding number tagged to your checked luggage that they use to track it - make sure that you don't lose this sticker during transit. I guess luggage gets lost when those tags get displaced/removed somehow? I've had luggage left off a connecting flight before - but was able to get it back due to the baggage claim.

Edited by newms