OGS 2011-2012 Results

stanxv

After the website update, I am now able to official confirm my OGS acceptance. For the past week, clicking on 'confirm' just brought me back to my status update. It appears that the downtime was to activate the acceptance page, probably in anticipation for releasing of the remaining results next week.

Also, they provided a PDF with some updated information information. I have uploaded it online:

http://viewer.zoho.com/docs/ccV4dd

Good luck everyone!!

Thanks for uploading the file. They added OGSST (now called QEIIOGSST) as one of the awards that count towards "lifetime maximum of 4 years of government-funded student awards".

Hey Everyone,

Congrats to all those who have received a 2011-12 OGS. Unfortunately, I was not among them.

My question, though, is about the reversion list.

Will the results posted in our online OSAP OGS accounts explicitly say "placed on a reversion list" or will it say "unsuccessful applicant" with the implication that we are? There isn't too much info online about this so I was hoping that you guys and gals can help out.

I am hoping that, although unsuccessful, I still may be placed on a reversion list. If not, looks like it's another term or two of TAing.

Thanks, and all the best!

Hey Everyone,

Congrats to all those who have received a 2011-12 OGS. Unfortunately, I was not among them.

My question, though, is about the reversion list.

Will the results posted in our online OSAP OGS accounts explicitly say "placed on a reversion list" or will it say "unsuccessful applicant" with the implication that we are? There isn't too much info online about this so I was hoping that you guys and gals can help out.

I am hoping that, although unsuccessful, I still may be placed on a reversion list. If not, looks like it's another term or two of TAing.

Thanks, and all the best!

This is what mine says:

Adjudication Completed - On Wait List

The Selection Board for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program (OGS) has completed the adjudication of candidate files for the 2011-2012 academic year. We regret that the Selection Board cannot recommend you for a scholarship in the first round of offers. However, your name has been placed on a wait list. Information is not available as to your rank on this wait list as it is not determined until such time a scholarship becomes available.

So it would seem that the "reversion list" is the "on wait list" status...

OGS is a joke, congrats to all those whose names were pulled out of the hat. There is clearly no way for them to accurately and efficiently determine that 3,000 researchers proposal are better or worse than the other 7,000. Unfortunately, academia is not a meritocracy and once again this year's powerball numbers determined which scholars walk away happy and the majority that don't despite the fact that their research may be innovative or cutting edge. Jokes

@Bearhunter, i can back that up. My older brother (mechanical eng phd) got a CGS NSERC but not an OGS. OGS' adjudication varies hugely by discipline. In some it's a straight-up grade-ranking mechanism. In others, you might get reviewed by people in hugely different fields.

I'm in public administration, but my app could have been adjudicated by people in accounting, business management or industrial relations, none of whom necessarily know the first thing about public admin.

There is an element of error - false positives and false negatives alike - in any grant-writing system. But it seems OGS is particularly bad.

That said, I'm happy right now.

OGS is a joke, congrats to all those whose names were pulled out of the hat. There is clearly no way for them to accurately and efficiently determine that 3,000 researchers proposal are better or worse than the other 7,000. Unfortunately, academia is not a meritocracy and once again this year's powerball numbers determined which scholars walk away happy and the majority that don't despite the fact that their research may be innovative or cutting edge. Jokes

I have routinely failed to understand the selection criteria for OGS. In any given year I'll see people awarded an OGS who really had strong applications (publications, meeting invitations etc...) but invariably there will be somebody in an upper year of their PhD program with what any logical person would assume is a much less competitive application (no publications, poor letters) and yet they'll be awarded a scholarship. All I can say to those of you who were unsuccessful is to keep trying. It took two rounds for me to be awarded a scholarship, it's hard I know, but try to stay positive and keep applying!

~Stargazer767

The reversion list is the waiting list... I got on one last year too for SSHRC, but didn't make it to the top of the list .. as people turn down scholarships because of other funding, they don't accept. Since people can't accept SSHRC and OGS, there are probably a good pool of folks who have their SSHRC and will turn down OGS. By the way, when I went on the list, faculty said its a very good sign (especially for first year doctoral students) - good proposal, too many in the pot.

The reversion list is the waiting list... I got on one last year too for SSHRC, but didn't make it to the top of the list .. as people turn down scholarships because of other funding, they don't accept. Since people can't accept SSHRC and OGS, there are probably a good pool of folks who have their SSHRC and will turn down OGS. By the way, when I went on the list, faculty said its a very good sign (especially for first year doctoral students) - good proposal, too many in the pot.

These are comforting words... I really hope this is the case. I've heard through some other forums in past years that OGS actually over awards with the understanding that many will turn it down due to SSHRC and the other larger awards. So it can actually take quite a few declines to get to the wait list. However, the "conditions" this year seem to have changed as they explicitly say that they are not ranking anyone (so we can't call in like people have in the past to find out where they are on the list). It actually says they won't even rank until the list is needed. Seems a bit fishy to me... wouldn't the ranking have been done already in order to determine who gets OGS or not?....

Strange. The only thing that changed in my status was the font-color! now the following is written in blue:

"Information about whether or not your application was entered into the competition will be available mid December. The results of the competition will be available mid April 2011. Please use the "Check Status" link on your OGS Main Page to access information about the status of your application."

Very strange! does anybody have the same status?

Congratulations for all the successful candidates :)

Looks like I am the only OGS applicant who doesn't know yet his status :(

I have to wait until Monday.

Its crazymaking to wait. I got kicked out of the login for 24 hours on Thursday morning because I had logged in too many times withcorrect passwords??.. seemed like punishment. Had to sit up till 3AM today to get in, but thank goodness, it was good news. Hold tight!

Seems strange as well that it says "April 2011" as everyone else's changed to "early May 2011" a few weeks ago. Maybe something went wrong with your update?

I received the OGS but I will not be accepting it. I don't remember the numeral that goes along with my studies, but it was in the field of Law/Legal Studies/Criminal Justice, so if anyone in those fields were waitlisted, I just want you to know that there is still hope.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Hi Guys,

I just found out I am in the waiting list for the physical science (chemistry). Does anyone has any idea how I can find out my rank in the waiting list. I was going through the previous comments and the people were talking about their rank in waiting list. How do they know that?

Edited by blue_rain

Hi Guys,

I just found out I am in the waiting list for the physical science (chemistry). Does anyone has any idea how I can find out my rank in the waiting list. I was going through the previous comments and the people were talking about their rank in waiting list. How do they know that?

From what I've been able to figure out... the process this year is different than in the past. They say explicitly that there are no rankings until the list is needed. In past years it has given the students a number to contact in order to find out their ranking. So maybe this year they are cutting that ability to stop the phone calls from annoying the hell out of that one person who works at the office. Sucks for us - as we have no idea where we are on the list.

It seems some departments released that information as well in the past. So your first stop may be your department's graduate administrator.

Does anyone know that it is possible or not to change the citizenship status after the application is submitted? I applied as international applicant which only has 3% chance to win among all. One month after application deadline I got my permanent residency but I did not change the citizenship status (I was wrongly told hat it is impossible). I have found it that there was some way to do so... Those who have any experience please advice...

Edited by blue_rain