OGS 2011-2012 Results

stanxv

This is nerve-wracking! I have never applied to OGS before and the waiting is so brutal. It's nice to know that other people still don't know either. I found this forum when I googled "ogs results 2011" and am relieved to know that the date on other people's still says April 24. Gaah!

Does anyone know how many people apply for OGS? I know that OGS is awarding 3 000 students this year, but it would be nice to know the size of the applicant pool.

I understand the applicant pool was about 10,000 last year.

I understand the applicant pool was about 10,000 last year.

If 10k apply for 3k OGS grants, though, that doesn't mean that 7k get rejected. Presumably, at least a thousand successful applicants will decline to take tricouncil (CIHR/SSHRC/NSERC) grants, making them ineligible to receive the OGS. And others applying as they enter a new masters or doctoral program may choose to attend grad schools outside Ontario, making them ineligible to receive the OGS.

Ugh the waiting is killing me. Every time I see no update I feel worse and worse. Last year they definitely gave out acceptances first and then started sending the rejections.

(psych Ph.D)

Does anyone know much about the restrictions on how many classes one needs to take each semester to be eligible for OGS? For example, I was planning on doing two co-op work terms next year along with one class each semester--would that fly? Does one get the funding on a term by term basis or do they just give you the full $15k if they see you still have one year (or more) of your degree left to complete? Cheers!

Does anyone know much about the restrictions on how many classes one needs to take each semester to be eligible for OGS? For example, I was planning on doing two co-op work terms next year along with one class each semester--would that fly? Does one get the funding on a term by term basis or do they just give you the full $15k if they see you still have one year (or more) of your degree left to complete? Cheers!

entirely depends on whether your institution lists you as a full-time student during your co-op terms. when you check your T2202A (tax form), does it show your co-op months as FT or PT?

if it's marked FT, you can get OGS. PT, no.

also, mpal - have you heard yet, or is this speculative?

Edited by borkborkbork

entirely depends on whether your institution lists you as a full-time student during your co-op terms. when you check your T2202A (tax form), does it show your co-op months as FT or PT?

if it's marked FT, you can get OGS. PT, no.

also, mpal - have you heard yet, or is this speculative?

Okay, thanks for the tip, bork. I didn't do any co-op this year so my tax form doesn't list that info; I'll have to get in touch with the co-op office.

And my post was entirely speculative! I haven't heard a thing.

I hope the ogs results are better than the election results here in ontario. i'm moving to montreal. i mean, really...

Agreed - a conservative majority does not bode well for much of anything.

Has anybody received a notification, successful or not, that is from a humanities program? If you want to get more specific, has anyone from McMaster heard anything yet?

I'm PhD in Psychology at McMaster and I still haven't heard anything.

Anyone receive results (positive or negative) from Biology 403 or Biochem 402? My friend and I are still waiting on decisions. Last update was April 24th.

Thanks!

Nope, I haven't heard yet either.

406 Clinical Sciences MScN

My Grad Studies Dept. posted this today:

2011-2012 OGS Competition Results Update

The 2011-12 Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) adjudication process is in its final stages.

Results will be available to students online in the first week of May, after the OGS Board provides final approval.

Students are strongly encouraged to check their online status for results as this is the fastest way. Letters will be sent to students at a later date. Students who applied on paper and do not have a SIN can call the general inquiry line at 1-800-465-3957.

New this year, successful students will have an online Confirmation of Acceptance. Successful students must confirm acceptance of their OGS by June 30, 2011 or forfeit their award.

Students placed on a reversion list (wait list) will be contacted before December 2, 2011 if they are selected for an award. Students’ ranks on the reversion list will not be provided.

Students who are unsuccessful are encouraged to apply again next year. Each competition is unique and results vary from year to year depending on the number of applicants.

I just got a phone call from OGS because I indicated the wrong year for my end of study (September 2011 instead of September 2012). Oops! I've faxed them the update, but that must mean that they're going through my file now--I'm code 100 (Classics/Medieval Studies).

Luckily I'm going out of province anyway. Now let's hope I didn't make the same mistake on my SSHRC application!