OGS 2011-2012 Results

stanxv

So how many other people are logging and checking out the OGS website every hour hah cool.gif I feel like I'm not alone

You are definitely not alone... I've been checking everyday now as much as possible for almost 2-3 weeks... Will be glad to have this over with, regardless of the outcome!

The fact they said 1st week of May makes me feel better. Anxiety will be gone in 3 days at most.

FYI: 207 - Planning & Development, 1st year Masters, UofT

Well, this is bad news - if the person I was speaking to knew what she was talking about: I called them and asked when the results for OGS will be posted and she said next week or the week after. What the hell? I just wonder why they don't bother changing the website and telling us this....the waiting game is becoming increasingly inhumane.

My partner, who is also waiting to hear from OGS, also called. She has been told that it is "early next week".

Thank you for the updates... a shame the news isn't any better. I can't believe the date just keeps getting pushed back. Although, this is a government run program...

Does anyone know how this process actually works? I don't entirely understand how they get these things in the late fall and yet still end up being a month late on their decisions...

/naive

I can give a little insight here. My boss is involved with the admin side of things and deals with the various awards people (OGS NSERC etc) on a regular basis. The OGS office is exactly one person. The reviews etc are done by faculty all over the place, but the actual OGS office is one person. The government sunk more money into OGS this year (YEAH!) but used it to add more awards (which is great for us), not more staff (bad for the woman at OGS). This means it takes even longer to notify people etc. As of today, my understanding is that our school expects the results on Friday. I'm sure that can change (and maybe it has) but that is when the school expected results. That being said, a friend of mine most definitely was notified on Monday that they did not get OGS via the website status update. I don't know if that was a glitch or if there is only a small number that were notified, but for sure I know one person that was notified. As for myself, no notice yet.

I can give a little insight here. My boss is involved with the admin side of things and deals with the various awards people (OGS NSERC etc) on a regular basis. The OGS office is exactly one person. The reviews etc are done by faculty all over the place, but the actual OGS office is one person. The government sunk more money into OGS this year (YEAH!) but used it to add more awards (which is great for us), not more staff (bad for the woman at OGS). This means it takes even longer to notify people etc. As of today, my understanding is that our school expects the results on Friday. I'm sure that can change (and maybe it has) but that is when the school expected results. That being said, a friend of mine most definitely was notified on Monday that they did not get OGS via the website status update. I don't know if that was a glitch or if there is only a small number that were notified, but for sure I know one person that was notified. As for myself, no notice yet.

notifications for 3000 grants and 7000 declines are handled by ONE PERSON? that's... that's...

ohmy.gif

well i sympathize with that one person but not with the idiots who did not hire more people to do the job. i just wish they would update the status on the website so that we know when we are getting the info for sure.

E-MAILPRINT 

The online application is temporarily unavailable as it is currently being updated. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. Please check back later.

My guess is staffing is politically motivated. They hire only one person so that they can hand out more awards. It looks a lot better to say 'we added 3500 new scholarships' than to say 'we added 2500 new scholarships and some support staff'.

Hi everbody!!

I have applied for OGS directly to the ministry from outside Ontario. I am applying for a

(307 -PhD Mechanical Engineering) and I never attended a school in Ontario, but I want to move to Ontario for a PhD. Does anyone know the oppurtunity for those studentents from other provinces?, is the priority given to the students who reside in Ontario.

Hi everbody!!

I have applied for OGS directly to the ministry from outside Ontario. I am applying for a

(307 -PhD Mechanical Engineering) and I never attended a school in Ontario, but I want to move to Ontario for a PhD. Does anyone know the oppurtunity for those studentents from other provinces?, is the priority given to the students who reside in Ontario.

In my experience, the chances are just about the same, if not better. My understanding of the whole process is that if you apply through the school, you get ranked by the department in comparison to the other students applying, but even so, all of the applications go out to the ministry. If you apply from the outside, you don't get ranked but your application ends up in the same place. I applied from NB last year to start my MA in Ontario and got it right away, the only downside to the whole process was getting faculty to have some knowledge of how OGS works to help me with the statement of interest and other things... the awards coordinator at the university didn't even know out-of-province students could apply for the OGS, she didn't believe me when I said I got one.