OGS 2011-2012 Results

stanxv

Hi everbody!!

I have applied for OGS directly to the ministry from outside Ontario. I am applying for a

(307 -PhD Mechanical Engineering) and I never attended a school in Ontario, but I want to move to Ontario for a PhD. Does anyone know the oppurtunity for those studentents from other provinces?, is the priority given to the students who reside in Ontario.

I applied direct to the Ministry last year, as an undergraduate student from out-of-province, and won an OGS. I imagine all applications are treated the same, regardless of where you're coming from. You intend to study IN Ontario. I think that's all they care about.

Just heard from a friend that works in the Ministry that apparently the earliest they will be sending mass notifications is May 25 :s

can you provide any more details? are you sure that they didn't mean the mailed letter, which is always posted well after results are made available online?

Just heard from a friend that works in the Ministry that apparently the earliest they will be sending mass notifications is May 25 :s

let's hope that "sending" means the letters by mail, and that an electronic posting on the website will happen before then!

If that true, the OSAP should compensate the sudentens for killing them in waiting and every time they change the results announcement date, this is frankly a nonsense and a lack of respect for the applicants, I would mention that the results of NSERC were announced on the begining of April, also the Quebec graduate awards (FQRNT) results are also announced on April, 18.

WHY THIS DELAY ONLY FROM OSAP?

If that true, the OSAP should compensate the sudentens for killing them in waiting and every time they change the results announcement date, this is frankly a nonsense and a lack of respect for the applicants, I would mention that the results of NSERC were announced on the begining of April, also the Quebec graduate awards (FQRNT) results are also announced on April, 18.

WHY THIS DELAY ONLY FROM OSAP?

As I said above, the OGS office is staffed by exactly one person. That is a crap-tonne of work for one person. The U of Guelph Office of Research told us they were told by OGS that they should have the list tomorrow. Who knows if they will, but that was as of Tuesday.

The problem is that the delay is no good for students that might get the award and would like to file it to begin receiving it for this current summer term. How would they know if they should register for summer or not, if they don't know if they will have funding? For those of us that would elect to begin the tenure of the award by the fall, it's not so much of a problem but I have friends in the other situation and now they don't know whether to register or get a summer job.

The problem is that the delay is no good for students that might get the award and would like to file it to begin receiving it for this current summer term. How would they know if they should register for summer or not, if they don't know if they will have funding? For those of us that would elect to begin the tenure of the award by the fall, it's not so much of a problem but I have friends in the other situation and now they don't know whether to register or get a summer job.

Yes, I fully agree with you. In my case I haven't applied for any school yet waiting the results also all the deadlines are approaching.

Even for fall admissions, it makes a difference. If you have an offer from an Ontario school and from a school outside of Ontario, you may have to make a decision to reject the Ontario school because the decision deadline is before the revised OGS announcement date. (Or, you accept the Ontario school's offer, on the hopes you get the OGS...)

We still have Friday if the results are not announced today's night. If not, do we expect it this weekend or a further delay is expected.

Edited by solihat

it seems as though it will be sometime next week. i wonder if we all get results at once or if different disciplines find out at different times?

(Phd English....still waiting...ugh)

if thats true, this means OGS office playing in us

i think it'd be a good idea for everyone to call them (she's not the one who answers, i imagine, or at least not the only one, since both me and my partner called and two diff women answered and gave different answers) and see how many answers we get: i bet it would range from "tomorrow," to "next week," to "late may," to "late may 2014". basically, the only thing i do know about this place is that not one of them is sure what is going on. it's not the lateness of the deadline that bothers me the most, it's the lack of proper information, lack of updates. I feel like an 18 year old boy whose girlfriend keeps going from hot to cold on a daily basis. sad.

I'm still hopeful we'll see some results tomorrow. The official update from the Ministry (after the extension was made to May) explicitly stated the "first week of May". It also said the letters would be mailed out at a later date (perhaps matching what the previous poster stated about May 25th). So tomorrow is their last chance! Fingers are crossed for all of us!

I'm still hopeful we'll see some results tomorrow. The official update from the Ministry (after the extension was made to May) explicitly stated the "first week of May". It also said the letters would be mailed out at a later date (perhaps matching what the previous poster stated about May 25th). So tomorrow is their last chance! Fingers are crossed for all of us!

We hope to see the results Friday. If NOT, every single applicant should call them

How about we all NOT call and let them spend the time not answering the phone on getting the results out?

I agree, inadequate staffing is part of the downsizing of government that has been going on for twenty years - not their fault

How about we all NOT call and let them spend the time not answering the phone on getting the results out?

yes, that is logical - at the same time, how are we supposed to vent? i do have a stuffed animal that has run its course i guess. and if we do call then we might actually find out, based on the "average answer", when we can expect it.