Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Have to say, while I heartily congratulate T-Pain, if this email really applies to all countries, then I'm kind of skeptical that he was accepted via postal mail...especially since it's super early and no one else has heard.

Private message me and I'll give you all the personal details you want: name, university, contacts in Leuven, the three different addresses I have to mail my acceptance letters to. . . .

We were informed only today that instead of receiving the results in the mail, notices will be sent via email with a copy to this office.

Fingers crossed! Like you, X, Y, and I are also looking forward to receiving the results.

Please accept our very best wishes.

Me: Ahhhhhhhh!! All countries? Even ETA applicants??!

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM, wrote:

YES, YES, YES!

Thanks for the updates, guys! Taking that chat with my parents off the table just made my wait that much more bearable :)

omg... how come my FPA hasn't emailed me... he's always out of the loop!!

Why does Turkey always take so long?!?!?! I don't want to have to find out AFTER graduation. I want to know what's happening next year!

CairoKid i know!!!

I really wish the Grad Cafe had a "like" option for posts because some of y'alls (yes, I'm from Texas) comments are cracking me. Keep it up. Also, for now, I am living vicariously through those who have received acceptance letters. It is making the wait easier and more enjoyable knowing that others are receiving great, life changing news.

P.S.- I too would enjoy reading admissions essays if anyone is willing to share (It's something else that I like to do to pass the time).

I really wish the Grad Cafe had a "like" option for posts because some of y'alls (yes, I'm from Texas) comments are cracking me. Keep it up. Also, for now, I am living vicariously through those who have received acceptance letters. It is making the wait easier and more enjoyable knowing that others are receiving great, life changing news.

P.S.- I too would enjoy reading admissions essays if anyone is willing to share (It's something else that I like to do to pass the time).

I second that -- biz, you're hilarious. I would love a post-it.

The interviewer told me they would be contacting me via email so I've been wearing out the refresh button for, like, the last week or so.

They also told me they'd notify me in 3.5 weeks, which was, by my count, on March 2nd. Curses.

Also: I think the email is going to be sent from NYC. Don't they send out the final decisions to the Fulbright office in NY for processing (and at which time they also notify the candidates)?

Edited by judehermes

The interviewer told me they would be contacting me via email so I've been wearing out the refresh button for, like, the last week or so.

They also told me they'd notify me in 3.5 weeks, which was, by my count, on March 2nd. Curses.

Also: I think the email is going to be sent from NYC. Don't they send out the final decisions to the Fulbright office in NY for processing (and at which time they also notify the candidates)?

FWIW, my Belgian notification came directly from Belgium, European postmark and everything. But we all know that I'm making this up. . . .

FWIW, my Belgian notification came directly from Belgium, European postmark and everything. But we all know that I'm making this up. . . .

T Pain, I think we all know you aren't making it up! It just seems that Belgium has decided to follow its own protocol this year and stray from what the US Fulbright office is doing. I hardly think this is unusual; I'm too lazy to go through this thread and find examples, but I'm pretty confident that this happens so often, Fulbright felt the need to send out an email about it back in January. I think it was something to do with how only the US Fulbright Commission can give you a final yes or no answer, and that you shouldn't take any acceptance from your host country as official. I personally am of the opinion that they only said that to cover their bases, in case for some reason the proposed host country wanted you, but the US commission (my apologies if I'm using the incorrect terminology; I think you get my point, though) objected for some reason or another.

So, congratulations on your admit! It sure sounds like the vast majority of us will be getting our answer via email, but this certainly doesn't invalidate your great accomplishment! Belgium was so eager to have you, they just couldn't wait :-)

Well, my adviser decided to leave for an entire week. The SPECIFIC week when all the study abroad applications on campus are due.

Needless to say, I'm always out of the loop on this type of information. I'm relieved and even more anxious at the same time. I've been checking my email religiously for the last couple months, and I just want to get a positive response so I can continue and plan my next year! LORD please let the e-mails come soon for all of our health's sake!

T Pain, I think we all know you aren't making it up! It just seems that Belgium has decided to follow its own protocol this year and stray from what the US Fulbright office is doing. I hardly think this is unusual; I'm too lazy to go through this thread and find examples, but I'm pretty confident that this happens so often, Fulbright felt the need to send out an email about it back in January. I think it was something to do with how only the US Fulbright Commission can give you a final yes or no answer, and that you shouldn't take any acceptance from your host country as official. I personally am of the opinion that they only said that to cover their bases, in case for some reason the proposed host country wanted you, but the US commission (my apologies if I'm using the incorrect terminology; I think you get my point, though) objected for some reason or another.

So, congratulations on your admit! It sure sounds like the vast majority of us will be getting our answer via email, but this certainly doesn't invalidate your great accomplishment! Belgium was so eager to have you, they just couldn't wait :-)

But my letter is signed by the American head of the Belgian Commission. . . .?? Whatevs. I think everybody is over thinking this.

But my letter is signed by the American head of the Belgian Commission. . . .?? Whatevs. I think everybody is over thinking this.

Don't worry! I don't think people are over-thinking it though - I think you got tons of people congratulating you, only one (unnecessarily) skeptical person, and now you're just surrounded by people who are anxious to hear back about their own status. That's all!

is it that serious? i honestly don't care if T Pain is telling the truth or not, maybe i would care if we were applying to the same country or if their acceptance had anything to do with me, but it doesn't so w/e.

anyway, i hope notifying the FPAs yesterday means that notifications are coming soon

i dunno, i've been trolling this forum for a few weeks, and i think t pain is just messing with everyone. he's been a member since 2009 and the way he was "accepted" into the programs is significantly different from the way it's been done in the past and the way it's supposedly being done this year.

I think the brilliant logical skills employed here mean hooblikahn is a shoo-in for the Fulbright. The only reason somebody would be a member of Grad Cafe for multiple years would be to pull a fast one on the 2012-2013 Fulbright Forum. OBVIOUSLY. I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR DECADES!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!

I think part of the reason it came early is that Brussels is at the top of the Eurozone food chain. They knew budget-wise how they could proceed, and did, first. They could thus go ahead with their physical notification to me. You'll all still get physical notification, I imagine, because most, if not all, admitted students have to sign physical letters as contracts and return them to Europe, NY, and DC. It will just be that most people will get emails first, whereas in the past, the inverse has been true (physical letters, then emails; I know this from various friends).

Edited by T Pain

Whether T Pain did or didn't get it; whether he is or isn't a troll is insignificant. You will get it when you get it, that is all anyone can say, everything else is pointless.

This is absolutely ridiculous that some of y'all are making accusations. The point of this thread is to be supportive of each other throughout the the Fulbright process.

I don't think my FPA has acknowledged my existence since the interview. I'm happy you all keep me in the loop!

Same here! I haven't talked to my FPA about Fulbright since the interviews in the Fall....except now the problem is that I'm checking this wayyy too much! haha. I'm trying not to talk or think about it too much but it's difficult not too. I'm just glad I'm not waiting on grad school responses like some of you are. I couldn't imagine waiting on both Fulbright and grad schools together. I'm thinking we'll hear within the next 30 days or so for most of us so keep your spirits up!! :)