Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

So, I'm assuming each SSA country desginated 1 or more alternates which go on the regional alternate list. But I'm confused about the rankings...who did it? How can applicants to different countries with different projects & motivations for choosing their countries all get put into one list? There'd have to be some sort of objective, easily applicable criteria, right? And in the event that more funding was given to the SSA region as a whole, would each country get to invite an alternate off the list or would they just take the highest ranked five or so off the list? And since I applied for South Africa's ETA program, which doesn't start until next January does that mean that I could potentially be waiting up until around December to see if someone declines their award or if extra money is given?

I think this is why I didn't e-mail Jermaine to ask about the way alternates work, I knew it would raise more questions than it would answer. I've just gotta let this go, stop dwelling on it and move on. If it get a call that's great, if not ... oh well. At least I can technically say I never got rejected from the Fulbright.

I don't think every country gets to nominate a alternate; I know that mine wouldn't because I'm the only one that applied and I had to have special permission to do that. I think it's going to be those that Fulbright wants to give a grant to but at the moment can't budget it.

Question:

How would one list their status as a finalist and/or alternate on a CV? List it with accomplishments and awards? It doesn't seem (to me) to fall into a category I have listed in my resume.

I am just trying to think ahead to my options if I get declined or listed as alternate if we ever... ahem... I mean- when we get word back from C/CA. Which, I'm sure will be this afternoon. I mean, it is only 4pm on a Friday. There's still hope for this week, right?

Question:

How would one list their status as a finalist and/or alternate on a CV? List it with accomplishments and awards? It doesn't seem (to me) to fall into a category I have listed in my resume.

I am just trying to think ahead to my options if I get declined or listed as alternate if we ever... ahem... I mean- when we get word back from C/CA. Which, I'm sure will be this afternoon. I mean, it is only 4pm on a Friday. There's still hope for this week, right?

Ha - I'm throwing in the towel already... Congratulations Caribbean/CA finalists - I think we're officially about to be the latest notified applicants for our region in the history of the spreadsheet...

In respect to your first question, I'm planning to put that under the funding portion of my CV and put something like:

Fulbright 2012-2013 (recipient) (if I'm selected)

Fulbright finalist 2012-2013 (not selected)

Fulbright finalist 2012-2013 (alternate)

Idk... haven't thought that far ahead... but probably something similar to above. Hopefully just option 1... not 2 or (God forbid) 3 (laughs/cries bitterly)... If I'm an alternate I'm gonna just take that as a straight "no" for my own mental health

Edited by rtlc06

I don't think every country gets to nominate a alternate; I know that mine wouldn't because I'm the only one that applied and I had to have special permission to do that. I think it's going to be those that Fulbright wants to give a grant to but at the moment can't budget it.

Well this actually made me feel better about it. And it makes sense.

So I guess maybe all the SSA finalists were put into a pool (let's say 100 of us) and ranked with the top 40 given Principal status, the next 10 or so (numbers 41-51) given Alternate status and the remaining (in this example those ranked 52-100) rejected? And in the event that more funding is made available, they'll move on down the list.

Edited by Kerly_Cue

The long wait is over. NS for China. It is a real heartbreaker, more so by the fact that I've been a finalist for nearly 5 months I got kind of used to the idea of being a Fulbright scholar. I don't know if I could go through that entire process again. Anyway, this forum was helpful. Congrats to the winners.

Venezuela was supposed to be notified by "the end of this month," but I am starting to loose hope . . . I feel like there is no end in sight!!

Hey PDX503,

I feel you. It is really hard for me to focus on completing my final exams and papers without knowing the outcome.

For sure, we will know by May 15.

Alternate to Sierra Leone. Just accepted a different fellowship that will allow me to complete my project, so I will not be remaining on the alternate list. Best of luck to all!

What other fellowships have you looked into that allow you to do research abroad?

Full grant to China! Am I correct that this is the first year notification has come by email rather than snail mail? Definitely an improvement, and all the more pleasant when you're not expecting it at all!

I've never created a facebook page in my life but I nominate one of you young whippersnappers to create one and post it here!

What a relief - looks like I get to finish my PhD without taking loans out after all! Thanks, everyone on this forum - even when you all didn't even know it, you were all there for me during the nail-biting and the soul searching.

Hey PDX503,

I feel you. It is really hard for me to focus on completing my final exams and papers without knowing the outcome.

For sure, we will know by May 15.

Yes, I hope so. I had gotten my hopes up for this week though. My friend who got a Fulbright last year said she met quite a few people who didn't hear until June, I am really hoping this doesn't happen to us. Staying positive for next week . . .

I took a break from the forum for a few weeks to wrap up my semester, but was notified 4/20 via email that I'm an alternate for Hong Kong.

I have a question for those of you who won the grant after applying at least once before: how did you go about revising your application? Did anyone submit the exact same proposal, with little to no changes? Did anyone mention in their new personal statement that they had applied before?

I'm a PhD student, still in school (but if I get a Fulbright, I'll be able to graduate afterwards, thankfully), applied for a full grant in public health. How about you? Are you full or an ETA? What field are you? I've been a serious wreck lately - I just want to know and for this to be overrrrrr

I applied for Anthro, FULL. I am hoping to do my field research prior to joining a graduate school program.

I took a break from the forum for a few weeks to wrap up my semester, but was notified 4/20 via email that I'm an alternate for Hong Kong.

I have a question for those of you who won the grant after applying at least once before: how did you go about revising your application? Did anyone submit the exact same proposal, with little to no changes? Did anyone mention in their new personal statement that they had applied before?

I applied for the 2011-2012 cycle and did not even get selected as a finalist, and this year received the full grant. During the year, I wrote other grant applications as well and did more background reading so my project changed dramatically, so my 2012-2013 was a completely new proposal. I also switched the country I was applying for (which I understand not many people can do) but since my project has a transnational focus I was able to do that. The best feedback I got were from the two professors that interviewed me at my university the first time around. They told me what worked in my first application, and what needed work. Additionally, what i think made my application stronger the second time around was I made personal contact with my host institution(s) (i had two the second time around instead of one) and they wrote me very personal letters of affiliation, which I think made a big difference. I first made contact in July, and asked them for letters at the end of August, so they really knew me and my project by the time they were writing in support of my application. I also started the application in June and had numerous people read it and tweak it before the September deadline. The first year, I must admit, was much more rushed. I hope this helps!!!

I applied for the 2011-2012 cycle and did not even get selected as a finalist, and this year received the full grant. During the year, I wrote other grant applications as well and did more background reading so my project changed dramatically, so my 2012-2013 was a completely new proposal. I also switched the country I was applying for (which I understand not many people can do) but since my project has a transnational focus I was able to do that. The best feedback I got were from the two professors that interviewed me at my university the first time around. They told me what worked in my first application, and what needed work. Additionally, what i think made my application stronger the second time around was I made personal contact with my host institution(s) (i had two the second time around instead of one) and they wrote me very personal letters of affiliation, which I think made a big difference. I first made contact in July, and asked them for letters at the end of August, so they really knew me and my project by the time they were writing in support of my application. I also started the application in June and had numerous people read it and tweak it before the September deadline. The first year, I must admit, was much more rushed. I hope this helps!!!

That is great insight, Sjay. Thanks.

And Lia, I'm right there with you. It's hard to know how to handle the alternate status. For me, the best way to handle it is to begin gearing up for next year, and thinking about some ways to improve my application. Good luck!

Glad to hear word from China - Congratulations, rsq00! I think we profs are waiting for a yes or no via snail mail. I'll try not to sit by the mailbox in a camp chair.

no first class mail on Saturdays, just ads ... argh

For any Baltic state applicants who may be lurking the board, I called Rachel Holskin on Friday and she (very politely!) told me that we should hear on Monday or Tuesday. Hang in there!

Thanks for this response Sjay!

That is great insight, Sjay. Thanks.

And Lia, I'm right there with you. It's hard to know how to handle the alternate status. For me, the best way to handle it is to begin gearing up for next year, and thinking about some ways to improve my application. Good luck!

Good luck to you too!

Anyone know when we will hear anything about the next steps? Is there really anything to do besides mail the consent form and medical clearance form?

I know! I keep thinking that there is more that I need to do. I still have to check the original email and letters they sent me just to be sure I really did it haha. I think the only thing for now is final transcripts (at least for graduating seniors) and then they'll send us (or at least ETAs) Visa forms later! I'm so excited!!!!

Hey Lia,

I applied to a different country, different grant type, and wrote a completely different personal statement (I didn't even bother looking at my previous essay - it did not help me!). And no, I did not mention that I applied before; with a one-page limit, you can leave that out and put in more important information about yourself :).

Some helpful tips:

Look up other grantees that have been to your potential host country. I stumbled upon the Fulbright blog which led me to a student ambassador for Indonesia. I contacted her and she told me about the country and her experiences while she was on the grant. She did more than I expected - she helped me revise my essays and we did a mock interview on Skype the night before my real one. We still keep in touch as I have been contacting her regarding pre-departure and some in-country prep.

Needless to say, but start early. I completed filling in all the easy information online as soon as the app opened in early May because I was so pumped about applying again, lol. Hit up your campus library for resources on your host country. I also had informal meetings with people (mainly library staff) that were from Indonesia. It's not a totally crazy idea, but I learned a lot from just talking to them.

I must state, the second time applying was a much more enjoyable experience because I was familiar with the application process. I took detailed notes on several winning essays, knew more about my host country, had more experience, had another year of personal growth, had reached out to more people (a few Fulbright grantees, and some very close friends), and I even called Mr. Akeley to ask him for advice on writing a winning personal statement and proposal.

I hope this helps and best of luck! =]

Edited by redArcher

Fulbright notifications for the Caribbean applicants... whatever, dude.

I wanted to think that we should hear tomorrow since it's the last day of the month....but I'm hesitant to say that since we've been disappointed so much already...So I'll be optimistic while cautious about my expectations.