Funded English MA programs

Thank you! Very helpful. The thing is...not sure if I want to pursue my PhD yet, if ever.

Just out of curiosity...what do you want to do with just an MA?

Not that you won't have plenty of options. But if you aren't thinking about PhD programs, then why are you worried about who you'll be working with, specific research opportunities, and specific research interests? Just for personal intellectual curiosity?

I hope this doesn't come off as rude. I'm just curious ^_^

Not a flagship, but I did a funded M.A. at the University of Minnesota Duluth. They don't fund all of their students, but the ones that do get funding are instructors of record for an intro comp course (1-1 load). I'm sure the lack of prestige hurt me when applying to PhD programs, but the experience got me plenty of teaching after graduation.

Can anyone here speak to the type of teaching opportunities they were able to find after completing a funded MA with TA-ship?

Yes. I am currently an adjunct at a nearby community college teaching a variety of writing classes. Last semester I was commuting between several colleges, but this semester I have a full course load (15 credits/5 sections) at one. Others in my department graduated from the same program and now have tenured positions at the CC. In fact, the dean of my "division" did an MA with TA-ship in the same program and did not go on to get her doctorate.

Other members of my TA cohort are: teaching at the university as a full-time instructor (yearly contract, 4-3 load of freshman comp), working in the admissions office, and working on the quality assurance team for a web design company.

One of the best things about going to a regional conference when I was finishing my MA was realizing that people can be happy teaching at CCs. Now that I've done it for a while, I recognize that I would likely burn out after about 5 years, but I know lots of people who have been doing it for a long time and are very happy. It's challenging in many ways, yes, but it's not the total hell that it is often made out to be.

Edited by cread

Just out of curiosity...what do you want to do with just an MA?

Not that you won't have plenty of options. But if you aren't thinking about PhD programs, then why are you worried about who you'll be working with, specific research opportunities, and specific research interests? Just for personal intellectual curiosity?

I hope this doesn't come off as rude. I'm just curious ^_^

Not rude at all!

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready for a PhD just now. It all seems so overwhelming. An MA would be a good way to sort of test the waters before committing to a five year program. I know I must sound insane to some of you who KNOW what you want to do when it comes to academia/careers/life and I definitely don't want to insult your process. Also, I'm in 'dual-career'/'two-body-problem' relationship so it would be difficult to be apart for so long.

Personal intellectual curiosity is actually a great way to put it. :) I'd love to work with some of the people I worshiped in my undergrad career, even if that means I don't know exactly what I want to do in the long run.

Also, thank you everyone for your suggestions! SO helpful!

Not rude at all!

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready for a PhD just now. It all seems so overwhelming. An MA would be a good way to sort of test the waters before committing to a five year program. I know I must sound insane to some of you who KNOW what you want to do when it comes to academia/careers/life and I definitely don't want to insult your process. Also, I'm in 'dual-career'/'two-body-problem' relationship so it would be difficult to be apart for so long.

Personal intellectual curiosity is actually a great way to put it. :) I'd love to work with some of the people I worshiped in my undergrad career, even if that means I don't know exactly what I want to do in the long run.

Also, thank you everyone for your suggestions! SO helpful!

The list:

Arizona State University

Auburn University

Binghamton University

Boston College

Bowling Green State University

Depaul University--Chicago

Georgetown

Kent State University

Lehigh University

Louisiana State University

Marquette University

Miami University of Ohio

Michigan State University

Minnesota State

Ohio University--Athens

Penn State - feeder to PhD

Purdue University

Texas A&M

University of Alberta (Canada)

University of Delaware

University of Connecticut

University of Florida

University of Georgia

University of Illinois--Urbana Champaign

University of Kansas

University of Kentucky

University of Maine

University of Massachussetts--Boston

University of Minnesota--Duluth

University of Missouri

University of Nebraska

University of New Mexico

University of Oklahoma

University of Oregon

University of South Carolina

University of Tennessee

University of Vermont

University of Washington

University of Western Ontario (Canada)

University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee

Villanova University

Wake Forest University

Washington State

On 4/4/2012 at 9:54 AM, evsnow113 said:

The list:

Arizona State University

Auburn University

Binghamton University

Boston College

Depaul University--Chicago

Georgetown

Kent State University

Lehigh University

Marquette University

Miami University of Ohio

Minnesota State

Ohio University--Athens

Penn State - feeder to PhD

Purdue University

Texas A&M

University of Alberta (Canada)

University of Delaware

University of Florida

University of Georgia

University of Illinois--Urbana Champaign

University of Kansas

University of Kentucky

University of Maine

University of Massachussetts--Boston

University of Minnesota--Duluth

University of Missouri

University of Nebraska

University of New Mexico

University of Oklahoma

University of Oregon

University of South Carolina

University of Tennessee

University of Vermont

University of Washington

University of Western Ontario (Canada)

University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee

Villanova University

Wake Forest University

Washington State

Cross off Arizona State, they stopped funding MAs several years back (though the website still says you can apply for a TAship, MA applicants never actually get them). Also the TA stipend someone gave for Penn State on the last page is high, I think the standard is now $16,000, not $20,000 (unless I'm just getting the short end of the stick..).

On 3/24/2012 at 12:47 PM, Fiona Thunderpaws said:

Here's an old list I found elsewhere that might offer a few more options.

Washington State

University of Florida

UW-Milwaukee

University of Oregon

University of Kansas

Texas A&M

University of Utah

Binghamton University

Miami University (Ohio)

Purdue University

University of Delaware

University of Georgia

University of Kentucky

University of Missouri

University of Nebraska

University of Oklahoma

University of Tennessee

Arizona State University

University of New Mexico

Kent State University

I don't know how accurate it still is now though. I have a sneaking suspicion the funded MA is a vanishing animal.

Add East TN State University

I can't believe nobody has said it yet, but as a general rule, do not get an MA from a university that offers a PhD unless you are planning to also get your PhD there.An MA from one of these schools is like writing "Do Not Have What it Takes to Complete PHD" on your CV. Many of them hand MAs to the students in their PhD programs who are unable to complete their exams and/or workload as a sort of consolation prize. Also, at a research I or top 50 school, you may not receive the attention and feedback from professors that you need to grow as a scholar, especially if there are PhD students there as well.

Edited by asleepawake

I can't believe nobody has said it yet, but as a general rule, do not get an MA from a university that offers a PhD unless you are planning to also get your PhD there.An MA from one of these schools is like writing "Do Not Have What it Takes to Complete PHD" on your CV.

I've never heard this before, and this also hasn't been my experience by any means. I got my MA from a program that also offers a PhD, and the majority of the professors I had were very much involved and interested in working with MA students, particularly those of us who were working on theses and interested in moving onto PhD programs, whether in the same program or not (I can't think of one that wasn't, in fact).

I'm very glad I went to this particular program for my MA, as I think getting to work with the professors I worked with was a valuable experience that really helped me along in many ways. At the same time, I didn't want to stay there for my PhD, and the professors I worked with were totally understanding and were still very much willing to work with me, despite the fact that I wouldn't be around after the second year. While the school I got my MA from isn't a top 20, it is a respected program with some top-notch professors. I got into several of my top-choice PhD programs (many of which are more well thought of than the program I got an MA from), so I think to advise people to avoid getting an MA from a program that offers a PhD is misguided at the very least.

I've never heard this before, and this also hasn't been my experience by any means. I got my MA from a program that also offers a PhD, and the majority of the professors I had were very much involved and interested in working with MA students, particularly those of us who were working on theses and interested in moving onto PhD programs, whether in the same program or not (I can't think of one that wasn't, in fact).

I'm very glad I went to this particular program for my MA, as I think getting to work with the professors I worked with was a valuable experience that really helped me along in many ways. At the same time, I didn't want to stay there for my PhD, and the professors I worked with were totally understanding and were still very much willing to work with me, despite the fact that I wouldn't be around after the second year. While the school I got my MA from isn't a top 20, it is a respected program with some top-notch professors. I got into several of my top-choice PhD programs (many of which are more well thought of than the program I got an MA from), so I think to advise people to avoid getting an MA from a program that offers a PhD is misguided at the very least.

I'd definitely agree with this, and disagree with the comment about not getting only an MA where a PhD is offered. What if you end up not wanting to do a PhD there? Even if you did want to, most people apply to multiple programs anyway and would decide from there where they'd want to go. Programs are set up in different ways; some have a free-standing MA, as well as a PhD that requires an MA to get into; some have a straight PhD where you pick up an MA on the way. Some people can get into a PhD right away from undergrad, and that's great, but getting a funded MA is not going to look like you don't have the chops for a PhD. It means that a program wants to fund you.

I've been accepted to (and will attend) UF's fully-funded MA program; however, the English department director told me that within the next few years, they will begin to phase out the MA and have a PhD only program. Just throwing that out there. But for the time being, it's an amazing deal with a fairly large stipend, especially considering the cost of living in Gainesville.

Does anyone have experiences being counseled against the MA? I ask because the DGS at my wait list school expressed some doubt about the choice, throwing more of a wrench in my ridiculous confluence of deadlines demanding my more or less immediate attention.

I'd hate to give up a funded MA offer just on the hope I'd get admitted to an MA/PhD for round 2. And my job requires me to decide before this week is out (for leave-taking reasons). And of course I have hope for the PhD wait list long shot...So amid the general "Ahhh!" sounding in my head, I'm wondering if anyone has heard such mixed reviews before.

Not to crash the program-listing party; I could have sworn there was an MA debate thread at some point, but couldn't find it to bump.

I'd definitely agree with this, and disagree with the comment about not getting only an MA where a PhD is offered. What if you end up not wanting to do a PhD there? Even if you did want to, most people apply to multiple programs anyway and would decide from there where they'd want to go. Programs are set up in different ways; some have a free-standing MA, as well as a PhD that requires an MA to get into; some have a straight PhD where you pick up an MA on the way. Some people can get into a PhD right away from undergrad, and that's great, but getting a funded MA is not going to look like you don't have the chops for a PhD. It means that a program wants to fund you.

I agree with all of this. I thought it was the inverse of the above statement: don't get an MA where there is no PhD program. Adcomms assume it is a subpar program that doesn't have the faculty or resources to offer a PhD.

However, even this is suspect. I doubt adcomms would trifle over this sort of thing, especially when faced with a good candidate for their program. I'll be the first to admit that the application process is bureaucratic* and political, but I think some people anguish over technicalities and small details which in the long run have little to no effect on your desirability as a candidate.

Edited by perrykm2

I agree with all of this. I thought it was the inverse of the above statement: don't get an MA where there is no PhD program. Adcomms assume it is a subpar program that doesn't have the faculty or resources to offer a PhD.

Blerg. My MA offer is from such a school. Anyone else heard this? I considered it a plus, in that faculty are able to direct all of their attention toward MAs, all professional/job development goes toward MAs, etc., without those PhDs to hog the resources.

Blerg. My MA offer is from such a school. Anyone else heard this? I considered it a plus, in that faculty are able to direct all of their attention toward MAs, all professional/job development goes toward MAs, etc., without those PhDs to hog the resources.

Everything I've heard has said that an MA from a school with no PhD is more valuable than one from a school with a PhD. My advisor mentioned to me that adcomms will be suspicious of getting your MA from a school with no PhD because they will suspect you applied there knowing that most will to the PhD, and that you might be "slipping in" via the MA program. I don't want to argue about whether certain programs are "cash cows," but adcomms will definitely be aware that schools with PhD programs have a very large self-interest in accepting many MA students (because they can give that money to the PhD students). Schools that only have an MA, on the other hand, will be viewed as more competitive.

I've never heard it said that adcomms look down on them because they don't have the faculty or the resources to have a PhD program; some schools don't have one by choice. One of the major scholars in my field is at Villanova.

Adcomms won't know why you've attended at MA program; perhaps you weren't sure you wanted the PhD at first. If you get your MA from a school that offers a PhD, they very well may think, "why didn't she attend their PhD program? She wasn't good enough for them? Maybe she's not good enough for us."

One final thought: schools like knowing what type of funding you've received, and funding begets funding. An adcomm will be very impressed with a funded MA, because that is very rare and it is a huge achievement (remember that for a school to offer funding, that is a huge commitment on their part). If you apply to PhD programs via an unfunded MA, the adcomms will know that you didn't receive any funding and that you "bought" your MA. If you've been funded, they will be impressed by that, because they understand how significant it is for a university to "give" money to a humanities student.

Take all this with a grain of salt. It's what I've learned from my conversations with my advisors, and I don't have experience going from MA to PhD. I know someone who went from Columbia's unfunded MA on to Cornell's PhD program (they would advise strongly against making that decision, because the risk was far too great and a lot of their friends from the MA were crippled with debt afterwards), I know someone who went from UVa's unfunded MA to Amherst's PhD, and I know someone who's gone from Georgetown's funded MA to UPenn's PhD. Either route can be good, depending on how you prepare yourself for the next step.

The argument is for a FUNDED MA, though. I could get my PhD at University of Phoenix online, technically. If a school is paying you to be there and to teach, then they probably aren't some weird exploitative program or just stepping on MA students to fawn over their PhD students.

And even if an adcomm thought you might have "slipped by" from undergrad to a masters, I'm sure they'll leave it up to your writing sample whether or not you're worthy of their program. I mean, SUNY Buffalo offers an unfunded MA, and it is a great program. So, if I'm reviewing a student with a great application from Buffalo's MA program (where they've taken MOSTLY the same classes as the PhD students,) then something as insignificant having paid for an MA isn't going to be problematic. The lack of teaching experience, however, might be.

Edited by perrykm2