I/O Psychology 2009

uberskooper

well im not sure about masters programs..but i did just want to say that I have yet to be accepted as well and I can relate that its hard to hang in there but I just wanted to say..dont give up yet dherres!

Thanks, p1nkie! Things will work out the way they're supposed to, and we're all exactly where we need to be (even if it's not where we want to be, lol). Where all did you apply, if I might ask?

My sudden interest in MS programs stems from anxiety.... the ones I'm really looking at are CA State San Bernardino, and Baruch CUNY (NYU, although stated as having a deadline of March 1 by the SIOP website, is actually Feb 1.... darnit!). I know enough to be quite impressed with their curriculum (especially the former) and faculty (ESPECIALLY the latter).... and I'm hard to impress, lol!

Anyone have thoughts/impressions on these programs?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard from Portland State Univerisity (If you have applied there). I am not sure how they are planning to notify us...is it email or by postal letter?

Just wondering!

Hey Olivia-

I applied to PSU as well and have not heard anything yet :( They were kind of my long shot school despite the fact that I have good rec letters/gre etc because of how popular their program seems to be so I feel like i anxious to hear back as well! I have no idea how they will let us know - from their website it looks like they get a "short list" around the end of Feb/early Mar and then do phone interviews from that list. I would assume that rejection letters would most likely come similar to the letter we got stating the application was complete. Who knows though :)

Portland State University is the only US school I have applied to (I'm from Canada). I haven't had any contact from them regarding my application (although, I did call to make sure it arrived and was complete, both of which were confirmed).

I've been accepted to Central Michigan University today. No word on funding until later.

So far I have two acceptences, one waitlist, and one interview (which I declined).

Not a bad record, I'd say. Congratulations thus far.

Congrats Uberskooper, who do you want to work with at CMU?

Just curious what side you are more interested in and what your research interests were. Are you leaning more O or more I. Most of my interests were I and GWU told me I would not be a good fit for their program, so I am curious what your interests were.

Uberskooper -

Congratulations!

Do they have a visit day coming up (at CMU)?

The application system at Rice emailed me again today telling me I need to input my online recommendations.... I already sent in paper recommendations to the department.

Did anyone else have to apply to schools with online recommendations?

Did anyone else have to apply to schools with online recommendations?

Yeah, all but one of my schools used online recommendations. I thought it made the process a lot more straightforward. I didn't mail in paper recs to any of those schools.

Did you have any question in particular about online recs?

Congrats Uberskooper, who do you want to work with at CMU?

Just curious what side you are more interested in and what your research interests were. Are you leaning more O or more I. Most of my interests were I and GWU told me I would not be a good fit for their program, so I am curious what your interests were.

I'm interested in working with Christiansen and Wagner. They both seemed nice when I contacted them and they do solid reserach, and they publish a lot. I'm definately more on the Industrial side of I/O, though some things on the O side interest me. I kind of got the same imrpession from GWU also. It's definately more on the O side. Though they are due to get two new faculty members, which might change things up. I don't know how much chance I'll have at GWU anyway, or even if I want to go since their stipened is the same as everywhere else but the cost of living is incredibly larger.

Do you go to CMU? It's a pretty good school. Who do you work with? How's the town. One of my main concerns is that my girlfriend won't be able to find a job in Mt. Pleasant.

Yeah, all but one of my schools used online recommendations. I thought it made the process a lot more straightforward. I didn't mail in paper recs to any of those schools.

Did you have any question in particular about online recs?

Only if you gave paper recs to the online rec schools.... ;)

I don't think they're updating their online forms to reflect the fact that I sent them in on paper, so the systems keep sending me automatic emails stating that I don't have my recs in.

I'm interested in working with Christiansen and Wagner. They both seemed nice when I contacted them and they do solid reserach, and they publish a lot. I'm definately more on the Industrial side of I/O, though some things on the O side interest me. I kind of got the same imrpession from GWU also. It's definately more on the O side. Though they are due to get two new faculty members, which might change things up. I don't know how much chance I'll have at GWU anyway, or even if I want to go since their stipened is the same as everywhere else but the cost of living is incredibly larger.

Do you go to CMU? It's a pretty good school. Who do you work with? How's the town. One of my main concerns is that my girlfriend won't be able to find a job in Mt. Pleasant.

I do not go to CMU, but almost went there. I went up and visited. The program appears to get good funding for a psych. program and Dr. Christiansen is a nice person that does do a lot of publishing. The town of Mt. Pleasant is one of the things that turned me off about CMU too. The town is extremely small and not very close to any major urban areas, so you are limited in internship experiences etc. (at least that was my thinking, Dr. Christiansen assured me that was not the case). Overall I thought it was a very good program but the town was not for me and the cold weather until May was also not for me. But again congrats!! Yeah GWU sent me a letter saying the I/O PhD program was not for me, however they would waive my application fee for their HR master's program, haha. It appears they preach a balanced program (I and O), but they are still an Org. program at heart. Good luck the rest of the way, at least you don't have to worry about not getting into a program, now you have to worry about deciding which school is best for you.

My unofficial I/O adviser who's been helping me out with my I/O stuff is working on her dissertation from CMU and has worked very closely with both Drs. Christiansen and Wagner. She's had nothing but great things to say about both of them.

So I received an encouraging letter in the mail today:

Dear....

blah, blah, blah... your admission has not been approved. The reason for denial is:

Application was incomplete.

INCOMPLETE???? :o :evil: :cry:

Someone from the school emailed me awhile back and asked for my transcript. Since I already sent it in, I had a receipt that was sent from them to my school. Sure enough. It was there, so I emailed this information back, saying that they should email me back if they couldn't find it and I would send another one.

ugh... now for the "why did this happen?" email...

Can they reject you based on their own misplacement of your app materials??

Dear....

blah, blah, blah... your admission has not been approved. The reason for denial is:

That is the royalest of royal pains I've ever heard of. :evil: :x :shock:

Can they do this? I guess they can...my understanding was that most programs are fairly understanding about lost materials, but that is just evil.

So I received an encouraging letter in the mail today:

Dear....

INCOMPLETE???? :o :evil: :cry:

Someone from the school emailed me awhile back and asked for my transcript. Since I already sent it in, I had a receipt that was sent from them to my school. Sure enough. It was there, so I emailed this information back, saying that they should email me back if they couldn't find it and I would send another one.

ugh... now for the "why did this happen?" email...

Can they reject you based on their own misplacement of your app materials??

Ouch! That really sucks. I thought most programs informed you if you had stuff missing. Is it really an official rejection? Maybe you can still send them whatever they need, especially if it's something dumb like a transcript.

Ouch! That really sucks. I thought most programs informed you if you had stuff missing. Is it really an official rejection? Maybe you can still send them whatever they need, especially if it's something dumb like a transcript.

Man... I am sorry to hear that :( Hopefully you will receive some GOOD news soon to counteract that!

If it makes you feel any better, I just got a rejection solely based on economy... The professor I had contacted/wanted to work with stated that I was her #1 applicant, but that their budget got cut by 20% and she would not be able to take students this year.... ouch... so close... It stinks when your reasons for non-acceptance have nothing to do with things that are in your control... Hang in there!