Housing for Newbies

Tooma

Hi,

I'll be heading to Washington DC next fall for a PhD in GWU. This would be my first time to visit the states, my first time to live alone and my first time to search & browse housing options.

Let's say that I searched and looked everywhere and finally decided on a neighborhood that fits my budget and my likings for the surroundings, now what's next? .. What if I find a place/roommate that is appealing to me on Craigslist or else? Is there a deposit? Is it safe to pay it online? .. Can someone advice on this issue please?

It might be a good idea to check out if you school has resources to help you find housing.

I used Craigslist and found success. I found a great place with roommates that had already been living there. I spoke with them on Skype and also Facebook stalked them. That way I was able to figure out if I would get along with them. I was fortunate enough to be able to visit but if I had not, I think I would have signed the lease anyway.

To send my deposit, I obtained a USD bank draft and mailed it with registered mail. The bank draft cost $7.50 CAD and the registered mail was around $13 CAD, but I think that's the best way to send money internationally. If you can't visit, just try to communicate with the people as much as possible and make sure you ask detailed questions and get detailed pictures. Don't be shy about the types of questions you ask! I made a pretty detailed post about my home search so I will include that link:

Good luck. And let me know if you have any other questions regarding Craigslist!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have experience renting without visiting first? I want to rent somewhere that is not very close to the university. when would be a good time to start looking for an apartment that is available for mid Sept? Mid Aug? earlier?

Anyone have experience renting without visiting first? I want to rent somewhere that is not very close to the university. when would be a good time to start looking for an apartment that is available for mid Sept? Mid Aug? earlier?

Start going it as early as possible. What about trying to get in touch with other students from the program and asking them for help? If they live in a place you will be moving to, they can check out apartements for you. It's is much safer to have an apartment checked before paying for it, if not by you then by a person you can trust. Renting unseen apartments is definetely not recommendable.

Edited by Strangefox

Start going it as early as possible. What about trying to get in touch with other students from the program and asking them for help? If they live in a place you will be moving to, they can check out apartements for you. It's is much safer to have an apartment checked before paying for it, if not by you then by a person you can trust. Renting unseen apartments is definetely not recommendable.

The problem is that I'm looking for an apartment which is not where most students live- it's a 20 minute drive away from campus. plus, I don't know any students. I might be able to get someone to check out apartments for me in Sept though...

When you visit an apartment, it's not just the building itself that you're looking at. You want to get some idea of what the landlord is like (is he a slumlord? is she going to throw a fit and threaten to evict you over the slightest mess?), and you want to get some idea of what any neighbors whose apartments are right next to/above/below yours are like (will they be angry that you had an all-night party on a Friday night to celebrate passing your quals?). I would be pretty uncomfortable taking an apartment unless I or someone I knew and trusted had checked it out, and unless I had at least spoken to the landlord over the phone.

When you visit an apartment, it's not just the building itself that you're looking at. You want to get some idea of what the landlord is like (is he a slumlord? is she going to throw a fit and threaten to evict you over the slightest mess?), and you want to get some idea of what any neighbors whose apartments are right next to/above/below yours are like (will they be angry that you had an all-night party on a Friday night to celebrate passing your quals?). I would be pretty uncomfortable taking an apartment unless I or someone I knew and trusted had checked it out, and unless I had at least spoken to the landlord over the phone.

I guess I might ask the few people I know in the area if they know anyone who'd be willing to check out the apartments for some money. anyone try that before? how much would be reasonable to offer? Either that or look at apartments while staying in some kind of temporary housing, but that could get expensive. I think apartmentratings.com is pretty useful for info about landlords and noise.

I guess I might ask the few people I know in the area if they know anyone who'd be willing to check out the apartments for some money. anyone try that before? how much would be reasonable to offer? Either that or look at apartments while staying in some kind of temporary housing, but that could get expensive. I think apartmentratings.com is pretty useful for info about landlords and noise.

You can check on sites like apartmentratings.com like you mentioned so I would definitely browse the internet first. As far as paying someone to look for apartments for you, it might be easier to see if you know any other grad students also looking for apartments to ask them what their experiences were. Or ask current grad students if they like where they live/lived.

Finding an apartment is hard, I'm going through the same struggle!

The problem is that I'm looking for an apartment which is not where most students live- it's a 20 minute drive away from campus. plus, I don't know any students. I might be able to get someone to check out apartments for me in Sept though...

i say do a temporary stay thing till you lock on a place. go a couple weeks ahead if possible and couch-surf till you find a place. finding a nice place with nice people is a serious business, so take caution and don't sign a long term lease till you are 101% sure about the place and your house/apt-mates.