Is it September yet?

wtncffts

I know the standard advice is to enjoy the 'summer before grad school', because once you start, you'll never have free time ever again, but I'm finding myself so anxious to get started. Part of it is because I've had 'free time' for months now, only working on and then waiting for applications, and I'm eager to get back to working in an academic environment. It might sound self-aggrandizing and immodest, I don't know, but I truly enjoyed just being a grad student (I did an MA), the 'status', if that's what you want to call it, the collegiality and camaraderie, sitting around the grad lounge and complaining about undergrads, TAing, working on something interesting (almost) every day, and so on. September couldn't come quick enough for me. Anyone else feel that way?

Yeah, I totally understand you.

I am so looking forward to September! And I have little time to relax now. I am preparing a paper for a conference. I am reading interesting articles in my discipline. And I am planning to continue reading them all way long till September. I don't think that I need the whole summer to relax. I am afraid that if I relax to much it will be difficult to get back into study mode :P

Totally agree. Only I am not free now I am finishing my undergraduate degree. But after getting accepted to grad school I lost all motivation to work as an undergrad. I cannot wait for september!

Just don't wish away your summer! I'm excited about the fall too, but if you keep anticipating the fall, it'll be the semester and you'll be wishing it was break again! I'm already planning vaca for Xmas break, as I know my wife and I will need it.

Just don't wish away your summer! I'm excited about the fall too, but if you keep anticipating the fall, it'll be the semester and you'll be wishing it was break again! I'm already planning vaca for Xmas break, as I know my wife and I will need it.

I am already planning things for the winter break, too! ;)

I am anxious as well, I'm very ready to return to academia not only because of the collegiate atmosphere but also for the career opportunities being a grad student and living in the DC area will bring. To say that I've had enough of my preschool job is quite the understatement. Everyday I have to go there just feels like another day wasted...only 4 more weeks to go though. Telling my boss that I'm done was very liberating, but I still dread just about every minute of it. I'm beyond ready to be productive in my field, with my peers, and in the one area of the country in which I need to be...yes very anxious for that indeed.

Totally opposite for me. I mean, I'm 100% excited for school, moving to a new city, etc., but this is the first free summer I've had in 6+ years with no real cares or responsibilities (OK, I should care about my lack of money, but I'd rather enjoy myself!). I feel like I'm a grade school kid again. I'm planning to spend pretty much the entire month of July (and any part of June that's nice enough) on the beach reading books and swimming. It is going to be awesome, and I will enjoy every minute of it!

Totally agree here.

I'm sick of undergrad life, I've accepted that the change will be huge but I'm ready to get started.

I'll hate working a lame summer job while counting down the days til grad school.

I felt like this last year! It's nothing but a good sign. If you've done all your paperwork, found a place to live (if applicable), chosen your classes (if you can yet), and set up your flights/road-trip/other (also if applicable), and quite possibly lurked around your new department's website looking at people's personal pages and handouts and papers and so on, then...what? Hang in there at work (if you're working), read (recreationally and/or about your field, if you need to!), take up a new hobby (ever wanted to learn how to use a sewing-machine? How to roller-skate? How to draw manga-art? How to grow your own fruits, vegetables, and herbs?), and spend plenty of time on Grad Café boards continuing to get excited.

I'm even more anxious than I was when I first posted in this thread because yesterday I got accepted off of the waitlist to my dream school and total dream come true program. I mean walking to school and passing the Capitol Building is there anything better than that? I guess really what I'm anxious for is to be done with my job so that I can enjoy the time I have left. I'm about a day away from learning if I've been approved for an apartment and really making my plans to get out there.

I'm even more anxious than I was when I first posted in this thread because yesterday I got accepted off of the waitlist to my dream school and total dream come true program. I mean walking to school and passing the Capitol Building is there anything better than that? I guess really what I'm anxious for is to be done with my job so that I can enjoy the time I have left. I'm about a day away from learning if I've been approved for an apartment and really making my plans to get out there.

You got in! That's awesome! Congrats!

Cool your jets, whippersnappers. I like the enthusiasm, but I just finished my first year in a doctoral program and as far as I'm concerned, the fall semester can take its sweet time getting here. I have my own research to do, a language course to take, friends to visit, beaches to lie on...

If, however, you are champing at the bit to start grad school (as I was at this time last year): one of the best things I did to prepare over the summer was to read the most recently published books of quite of the few of the profs in my department. It gave me a good sense for what sorts of ideas are floating around in the hallways. Plus, it gave me something to talk about with profs when the semester did start.