F-1 interview

So my F-1 interview is approaching and though I'm telling myself I have nothing to worry about (I am going to a graduate program with a nice four-year fellowship) I am feeling kind if nervous anyway...

If you have already had F-1 interview or have read something useful about it, please share your experience and knowledge!

I know that they will ask me why I chose this school (1) and what are my bonds with my home country (2). And what are my plans after graduation (3). I have thought of nice answers for all these questions.

1) I will tell about the program, why it is such a great fit, and about the fellowship, and about a great advisor that I found in this program.

2) I will tell them about my family who live in my home town (most importantly, my parents) and that we have apartments there and that I am registered in on of this apartments.

3) I will tell them that I need to aquire skills and get access to literature that is difficult to aquire/get acces to in my home country but then I will return and continue my research in my country, using all knowledge and expertise given to me by the American program. My research topic concerns both my counrty and America, so that seems logical.

So what else can I expect? What else shoud I (or should not I) tell at the interview?

Actually the only thing they were interested in was the funding. My whole interview lasted maybe 3 minutes and half of it was the interviewer telling me an irrelevant story about a friend of his who went to my university.

You should know where you're going, what you'll study and how your financials will work. No need to prepare answers in advance, these are simple things you already know. As for ties to your country, they know that you're leaving for a long period of time so they are not going to require you to show the same kind of ties they want to see from people who apply for a tourist visa. You also don't need to have post-graduation plans but if they ask just don't say you'll look for a job in the US. If you say you'll go back home and get a job there, that's fine. All of your answers look fine, in fact. But don't worry, if you were accepted to a reputable university with full funding, your interview will be short and painless.

Actually the only thing they were interested in was the funding. My whole interview lasted maybe 3 minutes and half of it was the interviewer telling me an irrelevant story about a friend of his who went to my university.

You should know where you're going, what you'll study and how your financials will work. No need to prepare answers in advance, these are simple things you already know. As for ties to your country, they know that you're leaving for a long period of time so they are not going to require you to show the same kind of ties they want to see from people who apply for a tourist visa. You also don't need to have post-graduation plans but if they ask just don't say you'll look for a job in the US. If you say you'll go back home and get a job there, that's fine. All of your answers look fine, in fact. But don't worry, if you were accepted to a reputable university with full funding, your interview will be short and painless.

Thank you very much!!! :)

Hey guys, definitely a helpful thread! I have my interview next week. Hopefully it's straightforward as I've done my undergrad in the US on a F1 Visa, and was on a H1-B for a year and a half before I left my job recently as I am heading to grad school in the Fall. Any one in a similar situation? was just trying to think of any tricky questions I might need to answer... :/

Nothing to worry, just relax! I went to my interview on Monday morning and have received everything back in mail on Wed. It was a one-minute conversation. The visa officer started the conversation by asking what my program is. But I think she was just curious about a particular term that is not used in US widely. She highlighted the funding section on my I-20 form and said "I see it is all paid... I think I have had everything I need". So it does seem a reputable university with funding package will make the case very easy.

On my visa interview they were interested in my research topic (actually i think they were genuinely interested haha) . I am guessing they have to verify that you know your subject. At the same time they were expressing that X is a great city and wished me a happy time there. For the poster above, I had visas before and they were interested in them, I think they wanted to verify that they were properly cancelled. Just in case I would take my old passports and paperwork with me (but probably you know this).

Oh sorry for the person who did undergrad in the US, I heard that having an American boyfriend or girlfriend can be problematic so if you have one do not mention it.

Edited by kalapocska

Oh sorry for the person who did undergrad in the US, I heard that having an American boyfriend or girlfriend can be problematic so if you have one do not mention it.

Haha, thanks for the heads-up! But I'm pretty single so should not be a problem! :)

So I went to the US Embassy this morning and had my interview. It only took approximately 3 minutes; the waiting period (security and fingerprinting) took longer (2 hrs, I believe). The consul asked why I would go the United States, what program, source of funding and if I already made housing arrangements. That's it and she said "Okay, go to Washington". Best of luck for the rest of the international students!

So I went to the US Embassy this morning and had my interview. It only took approximately 3 minutes; the waiting period (security and fingerprinting) took longer (2 hrs, I believe). The consul asked why I would go the United States, what program, source of funding and if I already made housing arrangements. That's it and she said "Okay, go to Washington". Best of luck for the rest of the international students!

Congrats! :)

By the way, how did you answer a question about why do you want to go to the US?

Congrats! :)

By the way, how did you answer a question about why do you want to go to the US?

I said that I wish to pursue graduate studies in the US, specifically a PhD degree in Molecular Biosciences. And that's it, no follow-up questions like, "Why in the US and not here in your home country?" or anything about my research interest. Just relax. I'm sure everything will be alright.

I said that I wish to pursue graduate studies in the US, specifically a PhD degree in Molecular Biosciences. And that's it, no follow-up questions like, "Why in the US and not here in your home country?" or anything about my research interest. Just relax. I'm sure everything will be alright.

Thanks! :)

What about the housing arrangements part? Did they require a lot of detail on that? like housing e-mail from the university or something? I am sub-leasing a friends place for a month and then planning to find a permanent place in that month, so I suppose that will be a sufficient answer?

What about the housing arrangements part? Did they require a lot of detail on that? like housing e-mail from the university or something? I am sub-leasing a friends place for a month and then planning to find a permanent place in that month, so I suppose that will be a sufficient answer?

They didn't require any specific detail at all. I simply answered that I applied for a 2-bedroom on-campus apartment and that I am currently waitlisted. I added that I'll be waiting for the advice of the Office of International Srtudents regarding my situation. :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I have my interview on Friday morning and while I think everything should be ok from everything I've read and seen, for some reason I'm getting a nagging feeling that perhaps I shouldn't have signed an apartment lease already without getting my student visa first. Has anyone had any negative experiences at a F-1 interview? Has anyone been (gulp) denied?

So I have my interview on Friday morning and while I think everything should be ok from everything I've read and seen, for some reason I'm getting a nagging feeling that perhaps I shouldn't have signed an apartment lease already without getting my student visa first. Has anyone had any negative experiences at a F-1 interview? Has anyone been (gulp) denied?

Ha, I am having an interview this Friday in the morning as well! :D Good luck to both of us ;)

I have not signed a lease yet but I have paid a deposit and I don't believe there can be any problem in either case.

I am sure people have been denied F-1 visas but those were people without proper funding or with some other serious problems. Both of us have been accepted to respected graduate programs with full funding and we have no criminal records or such like (right?? ;) ). I am sure we will be fine!

Ha, I am having an interview this Friday in the morning as well! :D Good luck to both of us ;)

I have not signed a lease yet but I have paid a deposit and I don't believe there can be any problem in either case.

I am sure people have been denied F-1 visas but those were people without proper funding or with some other serious problems. Both of us have been accepted to respected graduate programs with full funding and we have no criminal records or such like (right?? ;) ). I am sure we will be fine!

Haha - no criminal recordsbiggrin.gif Good luck to both of us then!

Good luck!

Although you might not need it. I don't know where you're from, but I'm from western Europe and the 'interview' was not even worthy of its name. At the consulate I met with 4 people: the first three checked basic things (first security clearance; then 'do you have your passport, a passphoto, an envelope with enough stamps' (they sent some people back to get a different photo or more stamps); then 'Please give me your passport, your I-20, proof of the funds on your I-20, your DS160, proof of payment of the SEVIS fee, proof of payment of the consulate fee').

The fourth person was the interview person, sitting behind a window, asking me what I was going to study and where I did my Master's. That was it. I spent about 90% of my time waiting to be called to the next person. From walking up to the consulate to walking out took about 50 minutes.

It really was a relatively smooth and easy process. The only thing that bothered me was that I had had to travel to the consulate at all, considering how little they needed from me! So good luck, but don't sweat it, I'm sure you won't be grilled on why you chose this particular university or what your future career goals are :)

Good luck!

Although you might not need it. I don't know where you're from, but I'm from western Europe and the 'interview' was not even worthy of its name. At the consulate I met with 4 people: the first three checked basic things (first security clearance; then 'do you have your passport, a passphoto, an envelope with enough stamps' (they sent some people back to get a different photo or more stamps);

Thank you! :) And why did you need stamps and an envelope? Will they send you your passport with visa via snail mail?

Thank you! :) And why did you need stamps and an envelope? Will they send you your passport with visa via snail mail?

I was wondering that too. Where I'm from I'll have to pay DHL at the embassy to deliver it.

Well, the US Embassies at different countries have different ways of dealing with that "sending-back-your-passport" issue. In my country, the fee that I paid for the visa includes the payment for the courier that will deliver my passport. I really like this method because I can track my passport online and it is completely hassle-free.

Well, the US Embassies at different countries have different ways of dealing with that "sending-back-your-passport" issue. In my country, the fee that I paid for the visa includes the payment for the courier that will deliver my passport. I really like this method because I can track my passport online and it is completely hassle-free.

I see...

Anyway, sending a passport by snail mail, in an envelope with stamps... I would be afraid to use this method...