F-1 interview

It was strange. The official took my passport and said your visa has been approved. No questions asked - not one. 

I just got my passport today and they have authorised a five year visa. My I20 clearly says '2020' and not '2018'. I know it isn't a big deal 

and it wan be renewed but is this a standard practice? 

I also have a valid tourist visa which I assumed would be struck off with a big  'cancelled without prejudice ' sign across it. But it wasn't! according to my passport I have two valid visas - not sure what's going on. 

Re: length of visa, I think it's pretty standard. If your program does indeed take seven years to complete, you'll have to apply to get a new visa once your current one expires (assuming you will want to leave the US; the visa is only necessary for re-entry, not for being in good standing while inside the US).

Re: multiple visas, that's perfectly fine and possible, these two visas are for two very different purposes and probably have different lengths. You have a tourist visa (to use when you enter the US as a tourist) and a student visa (to use when you enter for your studies). You just need to make sure that the immigration officer always lets you in on the correct visa every time you enter, because you are not allowed to study and stay for a long time in the US on a tourist visa. Either make sure to always give them the passport open to the student visa page or ask them about it during your short interview at border control.

Re: length of visa, I think it's pretty standard. If your program does indeed take seven years to complete, you'll have to apply to get a new visa once your current one expires (assuming you will want to leave the US; the visa is only necessary for re-entry, not for being in good standing while inside the US).

Re: multiple visas, that's perfectly fine and possible, these two visas are for two very different purposes and probably have different lengths. You have a tourist visa (to use when you enter the US as a tourist) and a student visa (to use when you enter for your studies). You just need to make sure that the immigration officer always lets you in on the correct visa every time you enter, because you are not allowed to study and stay for a long time in the US on a tourist visa. Either make sure to always give them the passport open to the student visa page or ask them about it during your short interview at border control.

Thank you! 

I'll have my interview in July. After having done all the prep (DS-160, SEVIS, visa appointment fee), I realized that my passport will expire before the stated end of my PhD program. Although I read a few times that my passport needs to be valid for the entire stay in the US, when I called the embassy hotline I was ambiguously told that I would "likely" be given a visa that is valid until my passport expires but that it ultimately depends on the embassy official.

Any experiences? I really want to avoid going back to my home country twice (once to apply for passport, once to apply for visa).

I'll have my interview in July. After having done all the prep (DS-160, SEVIS, visa appointment fee), I realized that my passport will expire before the stated end of my PhD program. Although I read a few times that my passport needs to be valid for the entire stay in the US, when I called the embassy hotline I was ambiguously told that I would "likely" be given a visa that is valid until my passport expires but that it ultimately depends on the embassy official.

Any experiences? I really want to avoid going back to my home country twice (once to apply for passport, once to apply for visa).

Not quite the same experience since Canadians don't get visas to enter the US. However, my passport was set to expire about 9 months after I entered the US but Canada doesn't allow us to renew our passports until 6 months prior to the expiration date.

So, I entered the US on my old passport, and I was able to mail in my forms and photographs to get a new passport a few months after entering the US. When I did so, I removed the I-94 form (back when there was still a paper form) and then reattached it to the new passport when I received it.

This also means that your passport does not have to valid for your entire stay in the US -- I'm not sure where you read that? I read that it just has to be valid for 6 months past the date you want to enter the US. For Canadians, until next month, we only have 5 year passports, so unless we finish in exactly 5 years and we get a passport issued just before we leave, it's likely that most Canadian students will have to renew their passport at some point.

For your visa, during our international student orientation, we were told that it's actually possible to get a visa that is valid beyond your passport expiry date. If this happens, they told us that our visa is still valid even though the passport it's attached to might be expired/invalid. You should get your old passport back when you renew it, and they will do something (e.g. punch a hole) through the identification pages but leave your visa pages alone. So, you can use your still valid visa in your old passport along with your new passport to enter the US again afterwards.

For your passport, are you sure that you will have to return to your home country to get a new passport? Would you be able to visit a Consulate Office or Embassy of your home country in the US to do this instead?

Of course, please check with your school's international office to be more certain -- this is just from my experience and what I learned from my own international office.

As you are from the UK, your passport doesn't need to be valid for the entire duration of your program.

'Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.' (http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html)

I had the same 'problem' and decided to simply get a new passport, so I won't have to do so while in the US, and because I really don't wanna bring two passports for traveling all the time.

(Edit: By the way, there won't be a paper I-94 any longer. They exchanged it for an electronic version on May 25.)

Edited by lelia

So I had my visa interview today but it was denied. I have full tuition scholarship for both years but I had to show funds for living expenses. My personal funds that I provided was a few thousand bucks more that what was required for the first year.

Then bam, the officer asks me how i'm going to fund my 2nd year. I have never read any such requirement anywhere so obviously I was dumbfounded. The only thing I could think off was that I hope to get a research assistantship position to help me through the 2nd year. He said he was not satisfied and he cannot approve my application.

Anyone had similar experience? Not sure what to do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey man, I am very sorry to hear your experience. You have full tuition scholarship from your program, but are you funded by them or will be receiving a stable stipend from them by doing stuff like teaching?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the bank of interview experiences. I had a pleasant experience at the embassy in London earlier this week. I was expecting to be in there for 3-5 hours but it only took just over an hour from start to finish. The (British) security guards was a little brusque but the (American) embassy staff themselves were lovely - very friendly and helpful. 

During my brief interview, I was asked:

- Have you ever applied for a visa before?

- Have you travelled to the US before?

- Have you visited Berkeley?

- How did your parents get the funds which they are providing for your study?

- How did you get the funds which you are providing for your course?

Aside from the mandated documents (I20, SEVIS receipt, DS-160 receipt, interview confirmation and MRV fee receipt), I wasn't asked to show any of my financial documents that I took with me. The interview took just a couple of minutes. 

Had my interview 2 days ago, thought I would share my experience with anyone that is interested. It was relatively quick, as compared to some people who went in for 8-10 minutes, mine ended in less than 2 minutes.

Questions asked:

- Which university are you going to?

- Which university did you attend for your degree? (in the US as well)

- What kind of studies are you going to do? (he was surprised that one can actually apply to and attend PhD program without having obtained a master degree)

- What is your plan after your studies?

- Can you show me a letter that indicates the school will fund you?

The last question got me. I almost thought I had to reschedule for another interview. There was one letter saying the school will fund me but I did not print and bring it along. It was the first ever letter I received from the program back in January, so unfortunately I missed that out. I told him that the I-20 has clearly stated the school will provide me funding that is enough to cover both tuition fees and living expenses. However, he did not buy it, and insisted on an official letter. I almost gave up at that time but fortunately I brought my dad's saving bank statement as backup, which supposedly is not required in my case. I told him in case the school won't fund me, which they promised they would, my dad will pay for me. He asked for the bank statement and I handed it to him, took a brief look and said to me "I will approve your VISA".

• 10 months later...

So I had my visa interview today but it was denied. I have full tuition scholarship for both years but I had to show funds for living expenses. My personal funds that I provided was a few thousand bucks more that what was required for the first year.

Then bam, the officer asks me how i'm going to fund my 2nd year. I have never read any such requirement anywhere so obviously I was dumbfounded. The only thing I could think off was that I hope to get a research assistantship position to help me through the 2nd year. He said he was not satisfied and he cannot approve my application.

Anyone had similar experience? Not sure what to do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, I'll be appearing for my interview soon. Looking at the post from Pinaman here, I'm starting to feel extremely anxious and uneasy since I haven't been offered any TA/RA-ship! Having said that, I'm fairly confident of getting some form of financial assistance from the 2nd semester onward. But looking at Pinaman's situation, it seems that this answer will not be good enough for the consular officer.

i should mention that my financial documents will cover just under 3 semesters of study. However, I do not intend to (nor can I afford to) burden my family beyond the 1st semester. One aspect which makes me feel optimistic is that the school I'm heading to, Virginia Tech, does receive ample research grants, especially for the field I'll be pursuing.

Anyhow, what should I do for the interview? I've already left my job and thus cannot afford a visa rejection! Your tips and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adil

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add my experience applying for a J1 from London. Two questions:

1. 'Who's paying?' (Didn't ask for proof although I had taken some in case, as well as my flight details as recommended)

2. 'Ethnomusicology...is that a real thing?'

The whole thing took around 4 hours including a security queue, a ticketed wait to get fingerprinted and hand in forms, and a further wait for my 'interview'. I had my passport and visa returned 6 days later. A lot of paperwork but fairly painless if you tick all the boxes.

Let me add my experience as well. Despite the anxiety beforehand, it was very straightforward. I was asked about 6 or 7 questions and the interview lasted less than 5 minutes. The Consular Officer asked for my bank statement(s). She took a brief glance and finished off the interview with: "Everything is in order. Your visa will be issued and you'll receive your passport within the next 5 working days."  :D

I am so relieved that it's done and over with. Amazingly, the whole process took only an hour or so. Best of luck to those yet to appear!

I am applying for F1 visa, MS program. I have a doubt regarding "person paying for your trip" section in DS-160.

My 2 yr total expense will be $70k. I am showing $50k in my account + $20k in uncle's account. which ideally should have been "self+sponsor" as its shared. I didn't found a "self+sponsors" option in the DS-160 form so I have mentioned "self". I have taken a visa slot also. Should I fill a new DS-160 ?

Only available options in the form are:

* self

* other person

* company/organisation

I don't find an exact match for my situation. Seniors any suggestions ?

In your case you are paying more than twice the amount as your uncle, so I'd say what you did was correct. No need to fill out another DS 160. You can always explain your situation during the interview.

I am applying for F1 visa, MS program. I have a doubt regarding "person paying for your trip" section in DS-160.

My 2 yr total expense will be $70k. I am showing $50k in my account + $20k in uncle's account. which ideally should have been "self+sponsor" as its shared. I didn't found a "self+sponsors" option in the DS-160 form so I have mentioned "self". I have taken a visa slot also. Should I fill a new DS-160 ?

Only available options in the form are:

* self

* other person

* company/organisation

I don't find an exact match for my situation. Seniors any suggestions ?

You have nothing to worry about. Your own account has $50K which is significantly more than your first-year expenditure (~$35K). They don't ask for the total cost of study, the amount mentioned on your Form I-20 is the one you need to be aware of.

My first year cost is approximately $37,000, while the bank statements I provided summed up to $48,000. Didn't have any problem during the interview.

Best of luck!