F-1 interview

^I agree. That method would have bugged me for as long as it could.

Good luck, Strangefox and newms! :)

Thanks kroms! I'm not even going to entertain the thought of them not approving the visa.

Thank you! :) And why did you need stamps and an envelope? Will they send you your passport with visa via snail mail?

The passport was sent with 'aangetekende post', which is a registered form of snail mail. So it is part of the regular mail system (which is reliable here), but you can check the status online. I think it's about as reliable as a courier, but we're a small country so snail mail is actually pretty fast anyway :)

Congratulations by the way for those who got their visa!

Edited by Ennue

The passport was sent with 'aangetekende post', which is a registered form of snail mail. So it is part of the regular mail system (which is reliable here), but you can check the status online. I think it's about as reliable as a courier, but we're a small country so snail mail is actually pretty fast anyway :)

Congratulations by the way for those who got their visa!

Thanks! :)

You are lucky to have reliable snail mail. It's certainly not the case in my country. Therefore the very idea of sending a passport via snail mail sends cold shiver down my spine :ph34r::lol:

You are lucky to have reliable snail mail. It's certainly not the case in my country. Therefore the very idea of sending a passport via snail mail sends cold shiver down my spine

How I wish my country can improve our snail mail system to be as reliable as yours.

you guys have no idea how horrible it is in mine. can't get worse than what we have. for real.

Oh, wow, in that case I can imagine why you were shocked when I said it came through snail mail! Thanks for making me realize how lucky I am here... :P

Edited by Ennue

What about people who self-fund ? Will that affect your chance? Any bad experiences?

I think once you can show that you (or the person who's supporting you) have enough funds to cover the first year, then you'll be ok. So you'll just have to demonstrate this at the visa interview.

US Embassy in Berlin worker: Hi! How are you? Your last name is very German!

Me: Yes, I have dual citizenship

Worker: Where you going to school? What are you going to study?

Me: (school's name). Marine Bio

Worker: Good place to study that

Me: Ya, nice city to study in as well

Worker: How you paying for school?

Me: Tuition Waiver

Worker: Your visa has been approved

Me: Great! Have an awesome day.

= 2.5 minutes.

My interview lasted for about 6 minutes. The consular official asked me to tell her about my program, and she also asked me to show her the letter

that said that the university will pay for tuition and fees. After that, she said that my visa has been aproved! and good luck with your program she said.

• 4 weeks later...

Any other advice for students paying for themselves?

I won't be paying for myself but I suggest you make sure that you have all the necessary documents on hand before your interview. Check your bank accounts and other statements that will clearly show that you can shoulder your first year of stay at graduate school. Be confident during your interview and just be honest when it comes to questions about financial matters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I have some concern about the Visa F1, i get the I20 and all the documents for the interview to get the visa. My concern is about the ties with my home country, and on this I have documents about the universities I did two years but not completed in civil engineering, my family, playing football for 15 years, working for a construction company for 6 months, and also worked while studying in a restaurant, and the only thing that worry myself is that I was in the U.S. different times times, the first time in May for a week for my birthday and to bring my girlfriend to the prom, the second time I was in Boston in August to take an English course of three weeks more 'one week for stay there with my girlfriend, then I returned to the U.S. in November for thanksgiving and returned to Italy on January 6 after the Christmas and New Year spent with my girlfriend, I started to work at this construction company, and at the end of June I went to my girlfriend to spend the summer with her ​​and returned Aug. 14, just for stay with my girlfriend. Now I have found this opportunity for me to finish my studies in U.S. from a city close to she, and go to stay from the house of she. My worry is that at the interview if he go to ask me the reason of why I've been different times in the U.S. and I say' cause I have a girlfriend who lives there 'and she is American, I will have' problems?

• 1 year later...

Oh sorry for the person who did undergrad in the US, I heard that having an American boyfriend or girlfriend can be problematic so if you have one do not mention it.

Can you elaborate on this? I will be living with my partner. Since they ask about housing during the interview, I'll have to say that. But I don't want to to tell them if it's going to be problematic...