What do you think about Comcast internet?

Strangefox

So I found out that in the building where I will be living the only internet provider is Comcast. I went to their website and found out that it is so pricy! Then I started looking for some info about it online and a lot of people write that they are not satisfied with its services :unsure: I can't say nothing about the quality for sure (I have not tried it yet) but I already don't like the prices. The cheapest option seems to be $40 a month and the speed is only up to 1.5 Mbps for downloads and up to 384 Kbps for upload! That is ridiculous! I have about 7 Mbps for downloads and uploads and I pay only around $15 for that!!

I thought in the US there are hundreds of Internet providers and I will be able to choose something cheap an nice but now I see that this Comcast holds some sort of monopoly and rips off its clients without providing real quality...

*hopefully* Or am I perhaps wrong??

BTW, I need only internet - no TV, no phone.

Edited by Strangefox

I have Comcast (in Boston). They are decent I guess, about the same quality as the other big name companies i have used (Road Runner, ect). If you are into downloading music, movies, ect (illegally) then look elsewhere. They like to track things.

good luck.

I have Comcast (in Boston). They are decent I guess, about the same quality as the other big name companies i have used (Road Runner, ect). If you are into downloading music, movies, ect (illegally) then look elsewhere. They like to track things.

good luck.

Thanks for the input!

I am not going to download anything but I want to talk via Skype quite often. Is it good for that? And more specifically are 1.5 Mbps for download and up to 384 Kbps for upload enough for that?

I have mixed feelings about Comcast.

They're reliable most of the time, but they're more expensive than they should be ($65/month for the cheapest service) and they sometimes have outages for no reason that may last for 12 hours at a time.

Then again, they're the only provider I've had so I can't say if it's any better with other providers.

I thought in the US there are hundreds of Internet providers and I will be able to choose something cheap an nice but now I see that this Comcast holds some sort of monopoly and rips off its clients without providing real quality...

Actually no. Telecom in the US is pretty tightly controlled by a small number of companies, internet especially. It's not a free market. (This is because telecom companies have money to give to politicians, and pols are easily bought.) The US is certainly not last in internet speed/price, but we are behind most of the developed world. (And many 3rd world countries.)

They're reliable most of the time, but they're more expensive than they should be ($65/month for the cheapest service) and they sometimes have outages for no reason that may last for 12 hours at a time.

Really??!! I'm paying $35/month.

When we had Comcast in CA we had terrible problems with outages--at least once a month, sometimes lasting 2-3 days! We finally switched to DSL (which, I should add, was even slower than the stats Strangefox gave--but still allowed us to Skype).

However, here in CO I have only had 1 outage in 5 months, and even then it was only for a couple of hours. So I think a lot depends on the reliability of the local cable network.

We switched from Comcast to AT&T as soon as we could, here in California. Comcast was $40 for slow (for gaming), unreliable internet. I used my campus's internet as much as possible. Our internet went out on me the night one of my grad apps was due. I had to send it using a neighbor's wifi to make the deadline!

But you gotta use what you gotta use.

The US is certainly not last in internet speed/price, but we are behind most of the developed world. (And many 3rd world countries.)

That is definetely a surprise for me! :blink:

Why??? I mean - it's the US!!!! You have invented internet, for crying out loud!!!

Edited by Strangefox

I can't speak for the service, but the company as a whole just completely sucks. They recently acquired a major stake in NBC, and have some pretty unethical internet policies going on.

:(

Really??!! I'm paying $35/month.

When we had Comcast in CA we had terrible problems with outages--at least once a month, sometimes lasting 2-3 days! We finally switched to DSL (which, I should add, was even slower than the stats Strangefox gave--but still allowed us to Skype).

However, here in CO I have only had 1 outage in 5 months, and even then it was only for a couple of hours. So I think a lot depends on the reliability of the local cable network.

So it seems Comcast is better on the East Coast than on the West, probably due to the fact that it has headquarters in Philadelphia. In CA it's terrible, in CO it's better, in Boston it's fine. I hope this theory is correct because I will be not so far from its headquarters, actually :)

Well, so it seems one doesn't need a super quick internet connection to Skype - that's a relief. I might use the cheapest Comcast Internet deal, then. Which is $40, not $35. I guess you are using your internet in a bundle with something - it's cheaper that way.

And thanks for the input! :)

Edited by Strangefox

So I continue reading about Comcast. Apparently before oredering it I must buy a Comcast compatibale modem (otherwise I'll have to pay for leasing theirs another $7/month). Do I understand it correctly?

You guys who are using Comcast, what modems would you recommend?

So I continue reading about Comcast. Apparently before oredering it I must buy a Comcast compatibale modem (otherwise I'll have to pay for leasing theirs another $7/month). Do I understand it correctly?

You guys who are using Comcast, what modems would you recommend?

I looked at their list of compatible modems, then bought one on eBay for about 1/3 the price of what I would have paid getting one through Comcast.

I looked at their list of compatible modems, then bought one on eBay for about 1/3 the price of what I would have paid getting one through Comcast.

same here. got a used one for 5$, and works awesome.

to OP: talk to your neighbors when you move - people living next door, floors above and below and such. they might let you use theirs for a nominal fee.

If you have another option than Comcast I'd take it. I recently switched from comcast to AT&tT. Technically I had 3mbps package from comcast and I have 1.5 mbps now, but my speed had actually increased. For me comcast was ~3x the price and much less reliable.

If you don't have another option, then do what you have to do, but the cheapest cable modem you can find will probably work just fine.

If you have another option than Comcast I'd take it. I recently switched from comcast to AT&tT. Technically I had 3mbps package from comcast and I have 1.5 mbps now, but my speed had actually increased. For me comcast was ~3x the price and much less reliable.

If you don't have another option, then do what you have to do, but the cheapest cable modem you can find will probably work just fine.

I don't have other options....

What state are you in (I need that for my Comcast statistics :) )?

same here. got a used one for 5$, and works awesome.

to OP: talk to your neighbors when you move - people living next door, floors above and below and such. they might let you use theirs for a nominal fee.

I am a littly wary of buying a used modem. What if it will break down in a month?? I think I could buy a modem through Amazon, I guess... I found a section there which is called "Comcast compatible modems".

I wouldn't worry that much about a used modem breaking down. I also bought mine used off a friend and it's working fine.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Keep an eye on the Comcast website for sales. I don't have Comcast but, I currently pay $20 less per month than the rate advertised online because I signed up under a promotional rate.

2) If you're living in an apartment, see if you can get a faster connection and then share it with a neighbor. Or, just see if you can share your neighbor's. That way, you can split the monthly charge.

2) If you're living in an apartment, see if you can get a faster connection and then share it with a neighbor. Or, just see if you can share your neighbor's. That way, you can split the monthly charge.

I wonder how it is done technically... We will still have separate modems, right?

Signing up for the promotional rate with comcast is definitely the way to go and then keep calling back every time it runs out. Currently, I'm paying $25/month for the Internet connection and $30/month for cable supposedly with no expiration although I don't see that plan on their site anymore :(

One thing to keep in mind when sharing the connection over wifi without physical access to the modem and router is that sometimes one or both might need to be restarted and that could possibly be inconvenient if it happens when you're working at 2 am and your neighbor's asleep.

you basically give them your wifi password

Alternatively, you could live above a coffee shop. (And hope they don't turn off the wifi at night...)

• 2 weeks later...

Comcast can be pretty annoying. I had it in FL and now in SC. As others have said, it randomly goes out (either the volume on the TV or channels/internet altogether) for no reason. And my new roommate pointed out to me that we were being charged a ridiculous amount for the modem (I know nothing about this so I'm just relaying her opinion). I wouldn't have signed up for Comcast again but my prior roommate set everything up before I moved so I didn't have a say. I'm definitely looking to switch since I'm moving into a house with two friends.

Comcast can be pretty annoying. I had it in FL and now in SC. As others have said, it randomly goes out (either the volume on the TV or channels/internet altogether) for no reason. And my new roommate pointed out to me that we were being charged a ridiculous amount for the modem (I know nothing about this so I'm just relaying her opinion). I wouldn't have signed up for Comcast again but my prior roommate set everything up before I moved so I didn't have a say. I'm definitely looking to switch since I'm moving into a house with two friends.

So was it as bad in Florida as it is in Southern California?