Social Psychology 2009

weeble

Hey everyone,

I am happy to have found this forum. I also applied to social psychology programs. I've been checking the studentdoctor.net site in case anyone is social was posting on there, but no luck.

As for WashU, I am sorry to hear you two were rejected. I also applied to WashU, but haven't heard anything yet (email, letter, or on the application status page). How were you two contacted?

So far I haven't heard back from any of the schools I've applied to and it looks like a lot of us are applying to the same schools with the same interests (stereotyping and prejudice).

No...two of us got the heartwarming rejection yesterday. We both checked on the online app.--admission decision at the bottom of the list--and if it says "decision available" follow the link. For us, it said "Denied Admission" and then there was another link to a nice little form letter. Yikes. As I said in my results posting...I considered this one of the safest schools to which I applied. Outlook not so good as they say.

:roll:

Good luck to everyone that is applying!

I was wondering if anyone knew what some of the top schools in social psychology. It will be a good way of getting your mind off of decisions :D

Also, is anyone applying to any schools dealing with psychology and law?

Well if you're a believer of rankings.. the US news & world report says:

1 Stanford

2 University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

3 Harvard

4 Yale

5 UCLA

6 Princeton

7 Washington University in St. Louis

8 University of California - Santa Barbara

9 Columbia

10 New York University

University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

Not applying to psych & law though so can't help there!

For those of you who applied to USC:

Dear Applicant, If you received an email inviting you to Graduate Preview Day by the Office of Admissions, please be aware that this is a generic email that was sent to all graduate applicants who apply to USC.

The Department of Psychology admission committee members are currently evaluating applications. This process will continue through February and likely into March.

Thanks! And no it is for their health psych program. I believe the only areas that interview are health and clinical. My GPA, GRE were not impressive at all. Let's just say I didn't even score a 1300 on the GRE. I do have quite a bit of research experience in several labs and I also work with a professor who recently recieved her PhD from UCLA so Im sure her letter helped a lot. My research interests are pretty concrete as well so I was able to go in depth in my personal statement on what I plan to do while at grad school. I emailed several professors before submitting my application and it was one of those professors who invited me for an interview; I think the match between you and the professor overrides everything else.

Bummer to hear that about UMichigan. :( Good luck to those who did receive an interview to there. If you happen to be lurking around this site, feel free to share any info. about your research interests.

Thanks for the update, ammo1.

Hi all. I am new here, although I have been hanging around the clinical people at Student Doctor Network for a while. I just wasn't aware of this forum! 8)

Anyways, I'm applying to social-personality programs, and I still haven't heard anything yet. I hate waiting, but hopefully things will work out.

Good luck!

I was debating on posting on my schools, but I'll go ahead anyways. I applied to eight schools: Missouri, Duke, Rochester, Michigan State, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, SUNY-Albany, & Washington University in St. Louis.

I noticed that ammo posted some info for a couple of these schools, but all you can do is wait it out and try to keep your spirits up. I just remind myself that a couple of years ago (when I was applying clinical before attending my current master program) I was given an interview offer two weeks after other people on the forums received interview offers. You can't read the admissions committee's minds (unfortunately), so all you can do is wait. ?

:) I just got three more interviews: Miami, StonyBrook, U of Pittsburgh. I honestly was not expecting to get so many interviews... but nowadays, that doesn't really mean that much.. I mean its still good, but I could be interviewing with 10 other people for the one spot, we'll see I guess:)

Hi guys--

Wow, you're the competition...this is a little scary ?

I got in to UCSB. [hides]

And I've had a phone interview with UC Davis. (anyone else?? I saw a few of you are also applying to Davis)

The other programs I applied to are Harvard, Princeton,WashU and Cornell. I also applied to a bunch of business school programs in Organizational Behavior.

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but it's kind of a relief to hear that schools have actually been notifying people of rejections--my fear is that the programs just WON'T EVER notify me. I would rather KNOW and let the cognitive dissonance reducer kick in!

Hey socialpsych,

So who called you from UC Davis? I haven't heard anything yet. Who are you interested in working with there?

Also, would you add your interview to the results board when you get a chance?

Thanks much!!

Edit: I'm such a spaz! Can you tell I'm a little anxious? :) Congrats and I hope the interview leads to an acceptance!

socialpsych: Congrats! I'm a believer in keeping it positive and sending good thoughts out there for everyone. (I'm a lover, not a fighter :) ) It's just nice to know schools are sending out word now, at least.

Hi all,

I'm new here and like most (if not all) of you here, I'm applying to social psych. Haven't heard from any school yet but I just called WashU to check my status and I was told that they already sent out their first wave of invitations. I knew they're having the interview weekend next week but I thought it'd be nice to just know whether they rejected me.

I'm anticipating a long wait....but anyway, congrats to those who've gotten at least 1 invitation!

Congrats all!! I've heard back from two schools about interviews and they are actually my top two choices so I'm feeling a little bit more relieved, but still anxious! Like greyline mentioned, who knows how many others they are interviewing!! Good luck to anyone still waiting! It's still really early I think.