Stuck writing Masters Thesis

histok85

I am stuck in the writing process of my masters thesis. Little background about me. I graduated high school with a decent GPA of 3.65 in 2003. I then went to get my associate in science because I was premed at a community college in 2005. Then I changed my major to history and graduated cum laude in 2007.

Starting in the fall of 2007 I went to another state school to start a masters in history. This fall marks the beginning of year FIVE in the program! I struggled being full time so I went part time with the classes and then dropped out in the Fall of 2008 because everything just got to me. During the summer of 08 I went on a study abroad trip to Italy for two weeks. I excelled and did great. However, when I came back home I failed to complete the writing coursework for the class. I went to a psychologist and was strongly encouraged to go back and finish the program. I came back in the fall 2009. Today I have finished all my coursework and internships and have six thesis hours completed. My adviser has warned me that I can't enroll indefinitely in thesis hours and must finish writing the paper by the end of this summer and defend it in the fall. I start my thesis hours in Spring of 2010.

I have all my research completed and love the topic I'm doing. I'm on page 37 of a 80-100 page thesis (that's the requirement). I have three chapters left to write plus the conclusion. I know what I'm talking about but I am so locked up in writing. I have been back to my therapist a few times this year and as recent as two weeks ago but I am still stuck. I NEED TO FINISH THIS! I have spent over $30,000 and tons of time in my masters program. I just don't have the motivation to write or finish and I'm so perplexed. I need help and motivation to finish this please.

Any ideas or suggestions?

While I am not having as extreme a case of writing stuckness as you, I can identify with you a bit. I should have finished my thesis weeks ago and have let whole days go by without making any progress. Similarly, everything is there and ready to go, I just need to get 'er done! So I'm not coming at this as someone with real answers, but as a comiserator trying to share what has worked for me.

I don't know what you have tried/what your process is but some ideas:

1) go talk to people at your university's writing center. It is likely to by open and under utilized in the summer. The people working there are often graduate students themselves who can likely identify with you on writing a thesis more than your therapist. They will have the writing training to help you take on a major project with tried and true methods.

2) see if you can find someone else with a major writing goal who will be your writing partner - report productivity to each other, or sit side by side to feel the social pressure to work while they work.

3) break down your big project into itty-bitty pieces. By that I don't mean thinking about one chapter - I mean think about one paragraph. What is an idea that you need to get across? Write it. Go onto the next one. It is kind of like the choice of waiting in traffic on the highway or getting off and going the local roads: both will get you there, quite possibly in the same amount of time, but at least you feel like you are moving with option 2. Write up the bits and pieces as you get re-interested and excited about each bit and then put time into editing and smoothing them together at the end.

4) focus on all you have left to do rather than how much you have already done. I was just reading a blog the other day that it is a psychological phenomenon that if you think about what you have already done, how much you have accomplished, you feel accomplished and like you can rest on your laurels. But if you focus on what you have left, think about how much there is to do, you are more likely to be motivated to get it done.

I have been having some success with #3 and 4 on this list. Hope something in there helps you!

How is your relationship with your advisor? I think that element is crucial to success. Have you outlined all of your chapters? Don't think about needing to write 80+ pages, get a chapter done at a time, or paragraph. A thesis can be overwhelming, you have to break it into digetable chunks. Without an amazing advisor, my thesis might never have been completed. Good luck!

My university has a writing lab that I didn't know about until I just looked it up. I think I will go there tomorrow to see if they can help me some.

When I look at what I have left to finished I feel very overwhelmed.

I have done an outline. My adviser has been encouraging and I can talk to her, but I think she is highly frustrated with my lack of progress. If this isn't written by the time school starts in mid-August she will drop me.

Edited by histok85

I'm sure your therapist probably already told you that you're so used to be successful (given your GPAs) that suddenly you feel inadequate to finish this thesis and you're just not sure what are the tools you actually need to do the job. Successful people run into these kind of problems at one time or another and they eventually figure out how to solve them. Occasionally, they can't and need more help. Realize that this is normal.

My suggestion is to sit down for 15-20 minutes once or twice a day, every day. Just write. Write anything you can think of. Don't sit there and figure out the best word choice or phrasing. That's what edits are for later. The key is just to get it all on paper. Say what you what to say, as if you're having a conversation with your computer (which doesn't give a damn whether or not it "gets" what you're trying to say. It doesn't care if it's perfect or not.).

Generally, I like to work it all out in my head when I'm running and just type it all down when I come back to my computer later. Sometimes physical activity can "loosen up" that mental block with all those brain chemicals.

Look into PHinished boards and see if there's anyone there who can be your partner. There are also great suggestions in Chronicle forums as well (under Grad Student Life) on finishing a thesis/dissertation.

I'm sure your therapist probably already told you that you're so used to be successful (given your GPAs) that suddenly you feel inadequate to finish this thesis and you're just not sure what are the tools you actually need to do the job. Successful people run into these kind of problems at one time or another and they eventually figure out how to solve them. Occasionally, they can't and need more help. Realize that this is normal.

My suggestion is to sit down for 15-20 minutes once or twice a day, every day. Just write. Write anything you can think of. Don't sit there and figure out the best word choice or phrasing. That's what edits are for later. The key is just to get it all on paper. Say what you what to say, as if you're having a conversation with your computer (which doesn't give a damn whether or not it "gets" what you're trying to say. It doesn't care if it's perfect or not.).

Generally, I like to work it all out in my head when I'm running and just type it all down when I come back to my computer later. Sometimes physical activity can "loosen up" that mental block with all those brain chemicals.

Look into PHinished boards and see if there's anyone there who can be your partner. There are also great suggestions in Chronicle forums as well (under Grad Student Life) on finishing a thesis/dissertation.

Thanks for the advice. Where exactly do I find these forums the PHinished and Chronicle? I am new to this one. I googled Chronicle forums and came up with an equine based one lol!

I've been in a similar place, but a few months off. I have to be done ASAP, as I have to defend in August and start a PhD in Sept. I have two 30-35 page chapters to my committee, a third chapter that will likely be about 40 pages a couple days from completion; after that, it's just an intro (that's already half-written), a short conclusion, and revisions.

I've chosen five dedicated hours each day to work; I require myself to write for at least a full hour with no distractions: 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm.

Each session must run at least the full hour before I allow myself any distractions - I don't answer the phone, and politely tell people who knock on the door to come back later.

Each session can only involve writing, looking up something in my notes/books/pdfs, jotting down new notes to help plot out structure (and identify blockages/things I'm resisting), or a short-as-possible research-specific internet search (no email break).

When I can't write, I write about why I can't write, identify what I'm stuck on, and work around it. I later go back to whatever I've skipped and fill it in; it can be easier to fill in later than plod through sometimes.

Sometimes I can only write a paragraph. Sometimes I can only type up notes/quotes and plug them into a rough outline; that way they are in place to jam into sentences/paragraphs later. When the whole thing is too overwhelming, chip away at something small and manageable.

Sessions usually run over the hour once I get into it; 20-40 minutes extra often.

once they are over, I can get some fresh air, eat, run an errand, check Facebook, etc. But I have to resume writing at the next scheduled hour.

this way, I can work up a storm for a brief time, then have some built-in mental breaks, and resume again before my momentum is squandered.

Good luck! you can do it!

• 3 weeks later...

I have all my research completed and love the topic I'm doing. I'm on page 37 of a 80-100 page thesis (that's the requirement). I have three chapters left to write plus the conclusion. I know what I'm talking about but I am so locked up in writing. I have been back to my therapist a few times this year and as recent as two weeks ago but I am still stuck. I NEED TO FINISH THIS! I have spent over $30,000 and tons of time in my masters program. I just don't have the motivation to write or finish and I'm so perplexed. I need help and motivation to finish this please.

Any ideas or suggestions?

What is the topic? What do you love about it? What have you written and what remains for you to write?

• 6 years later...

When I was stuck writing my thesis I did the most reasonable thing you can do in this situation - I talked to my advisor. She was able to give me a new perspective on what I'd already written. It is better to talk to someone in your academic field. I also found this infographic. Perhaps, someone will find it helpful.

50 minutes ago, gailfar said:

When I was stuck writing my thesis I did the most reasonable thing you can do in this situation - I talked to my advisor. She was able to give me a new perspective on what I'd already written. It is better to talk to someone in your academic field. I also found this infographic. Perhaps, someone will find it helpful.

You do realize that this thread is from 6 years ago.... and the OP may have already graduated (let's hope)?