any successful grad applicants in programs they didn't do their undergrad in?

My undergraduate major is in Organizational Leadership. The main program of my interest I wanted to get into was University of Florida's Master of Science in Management program. This program is designed for students who do not have a degree in business and want to learn about the “business world” as they say. They will not accept anyone who has a business degree. This program may seem similar to my undergrad but the main difference is that the master's program has managerial accounting, economics, brand management, finance 1, marketing, professional communication, and professional writing classes as required courses. My undergrad major did not contain any of those classes; it only included Human Resources and leadership theory courses.

My GRE score wasn't too pretty, so I had to convince them that I could handle the math related coursework. One of my recommenders was a physics professor who I had for an Intermediate Algebra class, in his letter he expressed that my grades were strong in his class. My SOP expressed how I learned about finance, the stock market, assets, liabilities, and etc., before passing the Intro to Business DSST exam during senior year. Those, along with my high GPA are some of the main reasons why I got accepted into this program.

I am very happy that I got accepted, mainly because I will receive in-state tuition, plus the respect, network, and ranking of this program just blow my mind! I know it's not Upenn, Yale, U of Chicago, or Harvard or anything but it is tied with Penn state, Michigan state, Wake forest, and Maryland in the US News rankings. This program and the school itself are ranked well above my "no name" undergrad so it's close enough to public Ivy for me.

Also, I'm actually starting in Summer B not the fall; I leave in 2 weeks, I can't wait!

Edited by GradDreamz87

My program difference isn't much of a leap, but I did an interdisciplinary degree in English and Gender Studies in undergrad and was just accepted to a Public Policy program for my masters. When I finished UG, I got started in local politics and made my way up to campaign management, so this was applicable experience for a public policy degree. I feel like the discipline is different, but the analytical nature of an english degree provides transferrable skills, so it isn't too different.

My program difference isn't much of a leap, but I did an interdisciplinary degree in English and Gender Studies in undergrad and was just accepted to a Public Policy program for my masters. When I finished UG, I got started in local politics and made my way up to campaign management, so this was applicable experience for a public policy degree. I feel like the discipline is different, but the analytical nature of an english degree provides transferrable skills, so it isn't too different.

Congrats! They took their sweet time with you, alright!

My undergrad was in Spanish (did no minor), the M.Phil I'm finishing is in Cultural Studies and I just got accepted into a Masters in Musicology- which I'll also do my PhD in. I guess from Cultural Studies to Musicology isn't much of a leap..but from undergrad to this current degree certainly was. I decided to start reading and note-taking a month before classes started and I passed all my coursework in the end, so it all worked out. =)

I did my UG in History and Medieval Studies with a Cert in Irish Studies, got an MA in Medieval Studies, and will begin a PhD in Art History in the fall. Ah, but not medieval art - medievalism in art. I got so involved in medieval art that the great void between public perception and historical fact became more of a pressing issue than iconography or any other art historical concern.

Undergraduate is in Environmental Science. My courseload was heavy in geoscience and math courses, but we didnt have an official geology program and I didn't want to be a math major. My graduate work is in Geophysics.

I did my undergrad in Liberal Arts (Great Books Program) and I am going into a BioMedical PhD program in Genetics and Cancer. I did two internships in Genetics and Bio Medical while completing my undergrad- which probably helps.

My fiance also did the same great books program, and is now going into Urban Planning, she also did 3 urban planning related internships during the summers.

Our course load was heavy in everything, math, science, social sciences, philosophy, language, etc. However, we are still going in completely different directions from our undergrad.

My undergrad was in Spanish (did no minor), the M.Phil I'm finishing is in Cultural Studies and I just got accepted into a Masters in Musicology- which I'll also do my PhD in. I guess from Cultural Studies to Musicology isn't much of a leap..but from undergrad to this current degree certainly was. I decided to start reading and note-taking a month before classes started and I passed all my coursework in the end, so it all worked out. =)

Good point, studying ahead is what I will be doing as well. It's way easier for me to understand the material in class this way.

Edited by GradDreamz87