Approaching Person of Interest?

CallieTrichid

This is my first time applying to graduate schools and I want to make sure I'm doing it as right as possible to avoid any awkwardness or anything that might ruin my chances of admission.

I'm going to be on a research assistant-ship for three months and getting back shortly after applications open. Being that this is all new to me, can anyone recommend what a good timeline is to approach a potential person of interest? Is it better to do it super early, or later on? I'm planning on going into a field where a lot of people do their field work in the summer so my POIs may not see it until later and maybe disregard it.

Aside from when to contact a POI, does anyone have any good examples of how to approach a POI? I've been reading materials from all my POIs to make sure that they'd be a good fit, but I've seen a lot of conflicting information on how to approach POIs and I want to know what's worked the best so far by a few people.

Thank you!

I'm going to be on a research assistant-ship for three months and getting back shortly after applications open. Being that this is all new to me, can anyone recommend what a good timeline is to approach a potential person of interest? Is it better to do it super early, or later on? I'm planning on going into a field where a lot of people do their field work in the summer so my POIs may not see it until later and maybe disregard it.

Aside from when to contact a POI, does anyone have any good examples of how to approach a POI? I've been reading materials from all my POIs to make sure that they'd be a good fit, but I've seen a lot of conflicting information on how to approach POIs and I want to know what's worked the best so far by a few people.

Thank you!

I would contact them early and if you don't get a reply in a couple of weeks, send another email. I believe that contacting profs early (rather than close to applying) shows how serious and organized you are. Though some people on these forums mentioned that they had contacted profs late and those were happy to reply and help anyways. So it depends.

Now I want to ask you - what kind of conflicting info have you herd about contacting POIs?

I've heard a few things: that it's better to have a conversation with them THEN approach about openings for next year--or conversely, that it's totally OK to do, but you also have to show interest by asking a few things about research, etc. Also giving transcript is a no-no, but I've also heard it's totally OK?

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about the etiquette of approaching a POI and a lot of it tends to conflict.

Hm, I guess it might be field dependant...

I will tell you what I think about things you've mentioned. I believe it is indeed better to tell them about your research first and if you see that they are interested - ask them about openings. If you start by asking whether they will be taking grad students next year, you may appear pushy to them. First it's better to establish rapport (I believe).

You may ask things about their research if you truly have what to ask. Otherwise it may seem artificial and as if you are sucking up to them. You can mention their works that you've read and found inspiring - or you may not, it depends on curcumstances.

Giving a transcript - I certainly would not do that (only if they ask). May be attach your CV - that is way better. But there is no need to attach it if you don't want to.

Remember that it depends a lot on a person you are contacting. Some may become annoyed at one thing others won't even notice it or see it as a sign of your enthusiasm. In short, contacting profs is a game and you never know what reply you will get - long or terse, friendly or annoyed. I would recommend to rely on your intuition. Remember that professors are very busy and receive lots of emails from students. But they are always glad to communicate with intelligent, polite and enthusiastic people (well, normal profs sure are - if they are not glad to do that then I would not want to work with them :) ). So you want your letter to be to the point, not too long but not to curt either, explaining your research interests well, showng your enthusiasm and showing that you've done your homework before contacting a POI.

Edited by Strangefox

I have a similar question with regards to contacting POIs. I know it's an application process and that it's about getting people's attention, but I still feel as though there should be a balance between unloading all of my qualifications at risk of looking immodest. Is there an "acceptable" way of introducing oneself to a POI?

I have a similar question with regards to contacting POIs. I know it's an application process and that it's about getting people's attention, but I still feel as though there should be a balance between unloading all of my qualifications at risk of looking immodest. Is there an "acceptable" way of introducing oneself to a POI?

Hm, I guess that unloading all your qualifications in the first email to a POI is not the best idea :) Just say the essential, like - "I have MA in ***logy". And then move to your academic interests and experience. I think talking about experience and research you are hoping to do in this program is far more important than awards. Awards will matter too, of course, when you are sending your application in. But contacting a POI you might skip this part.

Hm, I guess that unloading all your qualifications in the first email to a POI is not the best idea :) Just say the essential, like - "I have MA in ***logy". And then move to your academic interests and experience. I think talking about experience and research you are hoping to do in this program is far more important than awards. Awards will matter too, of course, when you are sending your application in. But contacting a POI you might skip this part.

Thanks! Like CallieTrichid, I've heard conflicting recommendations about contacting POIs and how to contact them, but this seems fairly reasonable.

Has anyone actually gotten negative feedback from a POI?

Depends on what you mean by negative feedback. You mean a POI writing: "Your research is not interesting, don't apply here" or something to that effect? Well, there are all kinds of profs and may be some of them are mean enough to write this kind of reply. But I think that 99% will write you something more encouraging, even if they are not directly interested in your research topic (provided you have yourself been polite and expressed your ideas clearly). Last year I contacted 10-15 people (not sure how much exactly...) and though some were less interested than others and some were very consise in their replies, nobody reacted negatively.

I've been doing some research on this, and I found a really good response to this for people who are struggling writing these kinds of e-mails.

http://ask.metafilter.com/72856/How-to-make-the-best-impression-on-graduate-advisors-in-earth-sciences

https://pixie658.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/contacting-potential-advisors/

If anyone finds other good advice/examples, feel free to post them--I know I'd love to see them.

Btw, is it kosher to email more than one professor from the same grad program about interest in their research.

This varies. In my discipline, absolutely. You're going to need 3-5 people to form a committee anyway.

Well how about in the engineering field? I'm assuming its ok but I want to be sure first.

I think it can be fine in any field if you mention in your emails that you've contacted other profs from the department (may be name them even) - so that it does not look like you are sending emails randomly in hope that somebody will get interested :)

Edited by Strangefox

Depends on what you mean by negative feedback. You mean a POI writing: "Your research is not interesting, don't apply here" or something to that effect? Well, there are all kinds of profs and may be some of them are mean enough to write this kind of reply. But I think that 99% will write you something more encouraging, even if they are not directly interested in your research topic (provided you have yourself been polite and expressed your ideas clearly). Last year I contacted 10-15 people (not sure how much exactly...) and though some were less interested than others and some were very consise in their replies, nobody reacted negatively.

Well, yeah. I mean, it would really take a douchey professor to respond like that! But I agree that as long as the give you one or two encouraging words, it should suffice.

I contacted a POI from Harvard, she replied saying that she liked my topic, and she is looking forward to my application. She also said that Harvard accepts about 4-5 people, but that it shouldn't keep me from applying.

I could have done without the last part! ;) LOL

Well, yeah. I mean, it would really take a douchey professor to respond like that! But I agree that as long as the give you one or two encouraging words, it should suffice.

I contacted a POI from Harvard, she replied saying that she liked my topic, and she is looking forward to my application. She also said that Harvard accepts about 4-5 people, but that it shouldn't keep me from applying.

I could have done without the last part! ;) LOL

Harvard! Nice! :) Congrats on the positive reply from the prof!

Well how about in the engineering field? I'm assuming its ok but I want to be sure first.

I did, nobody ever had a problem. In fact they were always quite open about asking me who I had contacted and suggesting to me other professors I should speak with.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping with the whole contacting POI's, considering that I have a list of about 10 schools that I am looking at, it's a lot of people to contact. In each case I have 2-4 people who's research I am interested in. I'm thinking that this list might shrink, based on how people respond. I am wondering how you and other people have dealt with contacting numerous POI's. I'm guessing it involves lots of time.....

Keeping with the whole contacting POI's, considering that I have a list of about 10 schools that I am looking at, it's a lot of people to contact. In each case I have 2-4 people who's research I am interested in. I'm thinking that this list might shrink, based on how people respond. I am wondering how you and other people have dealt with contacting numerous POI's. I'm guessing it involves lots of time.....

I contacted one POI in almost every school. First, because of the nature of my research topic. It's rather narrow, I mean. Second, if one person of those who could potentially be my advisors answered that yes, he/she would be interested in mentoring me, I did not contact others. I figured, I will apply to this school anyway. May be it was not such a good idea, may be I should have contacted every possible advisor. But I did what I did and it turned out fine.

So in your case I would start with a person whose interests fit yours most in each school. And you can easily send 10 emails, to ten people in ten schools, at once. And wait for results. Then act accordingly. If you want to contact all people in your schools, you could a) first send an email to a POI who's the best fit and then, after he/she replies, contact other POIs in that school one by one, each time mentioning those whom you have already contacted. b ) You can send letters to all POIs in each school at once, mentioning all other people whom you are contacting. I personally would prefer (a) because with (b ) you may look desperate too some profs, or sending letters at random like you don't know what you are doing (on the other hand, if you explain in you emails who else you are contacting they probably will not think that because you will prove that you are systematic)...

Good luck! :)

what is the subject or title when writing to POI's?Thanks

I just used "[school] [program] Inquiry." Perhaps not the best.

Unrelated to that but I suppose a follow-up to all of this:

What do you do when it's been a few weeks and no one has responded to your e-mails? I realize professors are busy people, but when do you re-contact them? If so, what exactly do you write?

Out of the 4 people I've attempted contact with so far, I've gotten nothing and it's been almost two weeks. Time to give up hope? :\ Or am I just being impatient?

what is the subject or title when writing to POI's?Thanks

It depends. I wrote sort of a title for my research project. You can write something that reflects your academic interests. That should catch a prof's eye.

Unrelated to that but I suppose a follow-up to all of this:

What do you do when it's been a few weeks and no one has responded to your e-mails? I realize professors are busy people, but when do you re-contact them? If so, what exactly do you write?

Out of the 4 people I've attempted contact with so far, I've gotten nothing and it's been almost two weeks. Time to give up hope? :\ Or am I just being impatient?

First, right now they might be busy having a holiday :) May be they are even out of town, travelling somewhere.

Second, your email might have be caught by anti-spam software.

Third, they might have missed it.

Fourth, they wanted to respond but forgot.

After two weeks of waiting, I believe you can safely send a follow-up letter. Something along the lines of: "X weeks ago I sent you an email but unfortunately have not received any reply. My message might have got lost, so I am sending it again."

Good luck! Don't give up :)