Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I wonder what it means that Univ of Washington's rejections went out before acceptances? Is this common for them? Results page didn't have much from the years before.

Has anyone heard anything from U Washington about waitlists/acceptances?

I haven't heard anything--not a rejection, but not an acceptance/waitlist either. That being said, I applied for the MA, not the PhD.

If we had taken the time, energy and pain and applied it to most other endeavors, we might be stars... but this is a cruel, often unfair process that doesn't always adequately reward the intelligent and hard working.

This is so well-said and so true. Sorry about my UVa freakout and thanks for talking me down. You all rule.

Edited by crazedandinfused

Hi. That was me! My first admission. I got a letter in the mail from the Graduate School informing me that I'd won a fellowship. I haven't heard anything directly from the history department yet. I'm super excited though!

Congrats!!!!

Did you harass them until they told you? ;)

Also, is that both acceptances and rejections?

One of my professors is an alum (sp) there...s/he also wrote one of my recommendations, so she was able to tell me when decisions were coming out (but that's all I know).

Hi. That was me! My first admission. I got a letter in the mail from the Graduate School informing me that I'd won a fellowship. I haven't heard anything directly from the history department yet. I'm super excited though!

Yay that's so great!!! Let us know when you do hear from the department!

What's the best way to politely deny an offer? Is it best to email the POI, the DGS, or both?

Thanks.

The paperwork should give instructions, if it does not...

Call the graduate coordinator or department administrator and ask the proceedure. It is different everywhere. Once you have done the official work write any PoIs you have personal contact with and politely tell them that you are declining the offer. You do not have to tell them where you are going, but if you do know where you are going you can say that. Basically thank them for their time and interest.

Thank you! I was really, really surprised about the fellowship. I didn't think I'd be accepted there!

But yeah - no word from the department directly. I'll be sure to post when that happens. Did you apply there?

Yes I did! I'm not confident in an acceptance at all, but it's my last PhD hope so I can pretend!

I think people should take today off and enjoy one weekend w/o worrying about grad school. So let it be written .... so let it be done!

As much as I want to relax, knowing that people are receiving word from Washington is driving me crazy... REFRESH, inbox! REFRESH!

do any of you have your web browser set to notify you of incoming email? gmail gives me a little tag on the top right corner of my screen when i get emails, including who it's from and the first line of the email. it (theoretically) allows me to "work" (play) on the internet and stay on top of all incoming emails without actually looking at my empty inbox and hitting refresh.

Hi everyone! I found out yesterday that I have been accepted to Cornell (email from POI; official letter will come later). Super excited because I think I have a great fit there!

P.S. I am not the person who posted the Cornell result on the results page, so there must be at least two of us!

Hi everyone! I found out yesterday that I have been accepted to Cornell (email from POI; official letter will come later). Super excited because I think I have a great fit there!

P.S. I am not the person who posted the Cornell result on the results page, so there must be at least two of us!

Cornell! Nice! Congratulations!

do any of you have your web browser set to notify you of incoming email? gmail gives me a little tag on the top right corner of my screen when i get emails, including who it's from and the first line of the email. it (theoretically) allows me to "work" (play) on the internet and stay on top of all incoming emails without actually looking at my empty inbox and hitting refresh.

I use Outlook, and it does make a sound whenever I have a new email--the problem with that is, if I'm away from the computer and don't here the sound when it first goes off, I have to check anyway. So I'm in the business of constantly checking, over and over and over....

well guess good news does come on the weekend! Congrats!

So far, only negative news from UW. I'm hoping for no e-mail! I wonder if they've sent out general rejections and are now deciding on acceptances. So, those who are accepted might hear next week of the week after. Just speculating and trying to make myself feel less anxious about the whole thing....

So far, only negative news from UW. I'm hoping for no e-mail! I wonder if they've sent out general rejections and are now deciding on acceptances. So, those who are accepted might hear next week of the week after. Just speculating and trying to make myself feel less anxious about the whole thing....

If that's the case, you just made my weekend. No news is good news!