Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Happy Saturday, everyone! I think the upcoming week might be a big one.

Well even if it isn't it'll be the beginning of March, meaning we are slowly creeping to the end of the 2012 journey ... is anyone getting nostalgic yet?

Well even if it isn't it'll be the beginning of March, meaning we are slowly creeping to the end of the 2012 journey ... is anyone getting nostalgic yet?

If by nostalgic you mean utterly concerned, then yes.

Hi everyone, long time lurker and first time poster here. Congratulations to all of you who have received good news! I have learnt a lot by following your discussions. I have been thinking that if I reapply next cycle I would do much better thanks to all the information and advice posted here. This is the most friendly and inspirational forum that I have joined.

Hello AlleyKat, welcome and congratulations!!! I think that somebody on here said that Temple is sorting out their funding after they make their offers, which is very difficult for me to understand the reasoning behind (maybe they are waiting to see how fellowship nominations turn out?). Either way, it's difficult to imagine them extending you an offer without being able to offer you funding, so congrats!!!

I quoted the wrong half of your post so if people are confused they'll just have to do a little research or give up entirely on contexualizing my inconsequential ramblings....I'm on my phone.

Edited by crazedandinfused

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us still awaiting news. I need to hear from two more schools and then the journey is over for me. If I don't make it into any programs this cycle, then I suppose I will be back again. Hopefully, with a much stronger application. Good luck! I hope next week is a good one. :)

MY UCLA APP STILL SAYS NO DECISION

what could be going on?! ooooof

Well, I got an email that said there's a decision available and that led me to the decision page lol. Hope you have better news!

I believe this speaks to what my hero/man crush StrangeLight (I don't care if she is a girl) said a long time ago: it is a crazy process. I'm surprised Northwestern wasn't beating a path to your doorway because for YEARS they were THE school of choice for African history. Had Ivor Wilks not retired a few years back I would have camped out at the admissions office till they offered me a slot. Well at least you're going to your dream school though right? :)

And it was a great fit too! It was one of the only schools I actually contacted a POI for as well, and I received a pretty strange response at one point when he learned about my research interests, suggesting that I may not be able to do fieldwork in XYZ countries because it's entirely a war zone (wrong! I go there for summer holidays?). After that I kinda hated Northwestern for having a historian that is supposed to be a regional expert but seemed to have no grasp of contemporary realities on the ground :blink:

And it was a great fit too! It was one of the only schools I actually contacted a POI for as well, and I received a pretty strange response at one point when he learned about my research interests, suggesting that I may not be able to do fieldwork in XYZ countries because it's entirely a war zone (wrong! I go there for summer holidays?). After that I kinda hated Northwestern for having a historian that is supposed to be a regional expert but seemed to have no grasp of contemporary realities on the ground :blink:

I really wish Wilks was still teaching somewhere because that man to me is West African history and I know his fingerprints are still over that place so maybe I should give them a strong look next time :)

But it is shocking that they would be discouraging you from one area because even if that country is war-torn archives are located all over the world now so it really baffles me that they weren't encouraging.

Edited by oseirus

Sandy: 80 and sunny in SoFla...I'm just sayin'...

LOL! Trust me, I have been researching Florida over the last few days. :) I am probably going to go out and visit UMiami at the end of March.

hahaha the "411 on the 305." i think because my grandparents live in aventura, i find that funnier. um, i'm going there this coming thursday! warmth! :)

so nothing from cuny. anyone else waiting to hear from them?

hopefully an eventful week is ahead.

haha right?!

So kind of like Aventura (palm trees, lots of Israelis, bad drivers), I just checked my app status for Tel Aviv U and I got into their MA in Middle East Studies. Exciting, but lots of things to consider (whether I want to do my MA entirely in Hebrew being a major question.) Hmm..

If you do your MA entirely in Hebrew, it's pretty much a slam dunk for your second go at the PhD, especially for, ahem, rather elitist Jewish history/studies programs. ;)

Indeed, but I've also heard Israeli universities don't have a lot of street cred in academia, which is a shame. But I love Tel Aviv and it would be exciting to live there again! Definitely considering the option! and I would sort of love to have to be that good at Hebrew.

Indeed, but I've also heard Israeli universities don't have a lot of street cred in academia, which is a shame. But I love Tel Aviv and it would be exciting to live there again! Definitely considering the option! and I would sort of love to have to be that good at Hebrew.

Forget street cred ... UNDERGROUND cred is what you need ... be totally bad ass and be like "yeah I got it from an Israeli school ... so? You wanna fight?"

Anyone heard anything about U of Washington yet? Still waiting and wondering what's going on...

I was wondering the same thing. I had thought by now we'd have our fate. Perhaps next week is our week. I did see a recent acceptance on the board from an MA student, but nothing since.