Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Survey shows first acceptance to UCONN PHD in History. I called the Grad School and they looked at my status: "no decision". I have an acceptance to UMaine, which is a great program for me, but won't know about funding until mid-April. The waiting is killing me: I feel paralyzed - and I need to wrap up my MA thesis!! AGH!!!!!

Just admitted to the University of Connecticut. My first acceptance. Funding is still mysterious. I'm really pleased, although I'm still planning to see how W&M and Indiana turn out.

I would have found out sooner, but my mail client thought that UConn's email was junk mail. I didn't check it until I saw someone else posted on the results board.

Congrats!!!

Congrats SToF! What great news!

I just got rejected from Clark University and my OSU app still says "in review." But it looks like I am most likely moving to the beach!

Just admitted to the University of Connecticut. My first acceptance. Funding is still mysterious. I'm really pleased, although I'm still planning to see how W&M and Indiana turn out.

I would have found out sooner, but my mail client thought that UConn's email was junk mail. I didn't check it until I saw someone else posted on the results board.

Yay!!! :)

Strangelight usually gives spot-on advice, but I think this is not at all universally true. My program routinely - I would even say preferentially - admits students from the MA program that is closely connected to it, and I know people who've been admitted from MA programs to the PhD at other schools as well. It's possible this phenomenon is specific to my subfield (East Asian history), but going to an MA at your dream school may well be helpful at getting in to the PhD there. It all depends on the program's attitude.

You watch your tone! StrangeLight is GOSPEL, you hear me? He/She is a divine prophet/ess, sent down from the holy temple of Delphi to act as an oracle for us! You should have stopped with "StrangeLight usually gives spot-on advice" ... now for your sins of questioning StrangeLight, go purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka

Survey shows first acceptance to UCONN PHD in History. I called the Grad School and they looked at my status: "no decision". I have an acceptance to UMaine, which is a great program for me, but won't know about funding until mid-April. The waiting is killing me: I feel paralyzed - and I need to wrap up my MA thesis!! AGH!!!!!

Wow, exact same boat! Well, until that last sentence. I'm a senior, accepted to Maine's MA, waiting on UConn's PhD.

And Twist of Fate: Are you the one who reported their acceptance on the search results, or is that someone else?

(I read more closely and answered my own question -- but now are you the new one to report results?)

Edited by jorcutt23

I think it is important to distinguish between programs that admit you to the M.A. with a chance of moving on to a Ph.D. (such as Pittsburgh or UWashington), versus being admitted into a terminal M.A. program only. In the former, the M.A. and Ph.D. are one track... success in the M.A. determines whether you'll be admitted into the Ph.D.. In the latter, it seems to be separate tracks with different requirements.

I think it is important to distinguish between programs that admit you to the M.A. with a chance of moving on to a Ph.D. (such as Pittsburgh or UWashington), versus being admitted into a terminal M.A. program only. In the former, the M.A. and Ph.D. are one track... success in the M.A. determines whether you'll be admitted into the Ph.D.. In the latter, it seems to be separate tracks with different requirements.

And it seems like the former is more likely to fund MAs than the latter.

And Twist of Fate: Are you the one who reported their acceptance on the search results, or is that someone else?

(I read more closely and answered my own question -- but now are you the new one to report results?)

I submitted my results, yep. Second thing I did after I kissed my girlfriend and danced around with her.

And my Ohio State status is still in review. Are people checking the main graduate admissions website or is there a specific history dept website to check?

I'm in the same boat and I would love to know as well...

I'm not certain about NYU or Yale, but of 43 Chicago social sciences MA's who applied for a Chicago PhD last year, 18 were accepted. Within history, it was 7 out of (I believe) 12.

that's awesome. i think chicago's MAPSS program gets a bum rap as a cash-cow program, because i know a lot of people that have left it for really great PhD programs elsewhere and it seems like they end up in chicago's PhD programs as well.

and oseirus, i have a bridge you might want to buy. it's pretty awesome.

Edited by StrangeLight

Another random Bloomington admit? What is going on over there? And my Ohio State status is still in review. Are people checking the main graduate admissions website or is there a specific history dept website to check?

That Indiana admit might be a friend of mine at my school -- she just made a facebook status about getting in.

I did! But for the MA program. Omg, I cannot wait two more weeks. It's my only other viable option left and I'm soooo desperate to know. What's your field?

Hi Kelkel, my field is East Asia. I applied to their PhD program. Do you have any POI there? I will keep you updated if I hear anything else.

Hi Kelkel, my field is East Asia. I applied to their PhD program. Do you have any POI there? I will keep you updated if I hear anything else.

Wulf Kansteiner! His research fits my interests soooo well! But I didn't contact him before hand, so I've been in the dark about that school.

About M.A. to PhD at the same school:

I just got accepted to Fordham's M.A. program, and I won a distinguished fellowship for 4 years (the M.A. is only one year). They expect me to apply to their PhD program.

I'm really thrilled, and I wish everyone else the best of luck. Its crazy how one phone call can totally change everything.

First, congrats to qbluecheers! That's awesome!

Second, I would like to turn into a one track record and say again: Where is UNC CH? Ugh.

Cato the Elder was a one track record fella ... Carthage must be destroyed ... he stayed on message ... and eventually he got his wish ... just saying