Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

So far, only negative news from UW. I'm hoping for no e-mail! I wonder if they've sent out general rejections and are now deciding on acceptances. So, those who are accepted might hear next week of the week after. Just speculating and trying to make myself feel less anxious about the whole thing....

I'm wondering about this too. Maybe it's by subfield? Maybe it's general rejections, as you've speculated here? I guess it's hard to say at this point.

Hi everyone! I found out yesterday that I have been accepted to Cornell (email from POI; official letter will come later). Super excited because I think I have a great fit there!

P.S. I am not the person who posted the Cornell result on the results page, so there must be at least two of us!

This is wonderful news! Congratulations Crater!

So I just sat and mapped out my game plan for the rest of the semester, especially with regard to my thesis. And... oh my goodness. I am officially horrified. Looks like I need to do a little less gradcafe and a lot more writing. Or else I'm not gonna be going to any PhD program.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to post these details here before throwing them on the results page. I just got around to checking my voicemail from yesterday, and noticed that I had one message from "Unknown." It was the DGS at U of Washington, telling me they're offering me admission and an excellent funding package, expressing enthusiasm, etc.

I'm in Modern Britain, for those of you who don't know.

Hoping this means others might get good news soon, too?

I need a drink.

Good night, gradcafe-ers! I think everyone should get rested up because the next week will be crazy...

I sure hope so, it's been 17 days since I've heard anything. I can't take too many more days of my inbox filled with "unimportant" messages. Let's all keep our fingers crossed!! I'm hoping for UNC this week; I called and spoke with the Department there (anonymously) on Friday, and was told that "this year decisions will be going out in spurts all the way through March, and there won't be a big day when they all do, so don't be discouraged if they haven't emailed you yet."

I took a few days off the gradcafe and came back to something like 9 unread pages! Wow! Congrats to all of those who heard good news and keep holding in there to those of you still waiting.

Goldie, you have inspired me to actually check all the unheard voicemails on my phone. Thus far (4 into them) most are my mother saying hello and telling me what her cat is doing.. but maybe the next one will bring news as positive as yours!

Goldie, you have inspired me to actually check all the unheard voicemails on my phone. Thus far (4 into them) most are my mother saying hello and telling me what her cat is doing.. but maybe the next one will bring news as positive as yours!

Haha yes, I will definitely exercise more prudence in checking my voicemail. Between that, and finding out that one of my offers initially went to the incorrect email address (their mistake, not mine, but still alarming), I am feeling a bit paranoid today.