Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

So technically this week is the first week of March. At least I'm going to declare it the first week of March. So, um, would the remaining 9 silent schools please stand up?

I agree completely! I'm waiting for seven schools, but I'm expecting 3-4 rejections. I just want answers!

I'm confused about why I see so many art history applicants on the results board...History (regular) is required curriculum in every A.A. and B.A. program, so at least there is an 'artificial' demand for a steady supply of history professors, but what kind of demand is there for teachers (or practitioners) of art history?

any insights...?

My MA is in Art History/Museum studies and I'm working towards becoming a curator...and I'm hoping to get my Ph.D. in History. Art Historians work in museums, auction houses, galleries, design firms, publishing firms, historical houses along with traditional teaching options.

Edited by Meg22

I agree completely! I'm waiting for seven schools, but I'm expecting 3-4 rejections. I just want answers!

I just feel sorry for those that have to wait till the very last minute to know what's going on

I just feel sorry for those that have to wait till the very last minute to know what's going on

I know! I really hope that it is going to be a busy week around here, and that there is a lot of positive news on this thread! :)

That's still 3-4 not rejections! I'm pulling for ya!

Thanks! It would be great to have a couple of offers on the table. I have my one acceptance and that makes the whole process a lot easier.

Thanks! It would be great to have a couple of offers on the table. I have my one acceptance and that makes the whole process a lot easier.

I'm not even looking for multiple just the one funded offer will do ... once I get in then it is ON like gang busters!

I know what you mean. Step one: crack the bubbly. Step two: Hit the pub for a huge greasy burger and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

for me it would be:

step 1: write to all the schools that rejected you

step 2: include picture of your posterior

step 3: ask them to send back picture after they've kissed it

Indeed, but I've also heard Israeli universities don't have a lot of street cred in academia, which is a shame. But I love Tel Aviv and it would be exciting to live there again! Definitely considering the option! and I would sort of love to have to be that good at Hebrew.

Hi uhohlemonster,

TAU has an excellent reputation as one of the top universities in modern Middle Eastern history. The faculty are very well regarded. Yes, there is political tension in some academic environments and among some scholars, but certainly not all. I'd be happy to talk to you more about this in a PM if you're interested.

My MA is in Art History/Museum studies and I'm working towards becoming a curator...and I'm hoping to get my Ph.D. in History. Art Historians work in museums, auction houses, galleries, design firms, publishing firms, historical houses along with traditional teaching options.

And just wanted to add (since I didn't see anyone else mention it) that art schools who primarily train people going into the fine arts also employ art historians, since art hisory courses are usually a mandated part of the curriculum.

I'll be applying to both history and art history PhD programs next year, and use a combined methodology. Sometimes I feel like a black sheep in both disciplines (my BA is in both) because there are still academics who are defensive about their discipline's methodology - even with how popular interdisciplinary work has become. I'm leaning towards a degree in art history, though, mainly because I think that degree is slightly more flexible, as Meg pointed out. I'm not surprised by the number of applicants to programs at all.

Good morning! Wishing you you all well!

I've withdrawn my last pending application over the weekend. Went over well. Thanks, Academic Family, for teaching me proper manners.

I really hope this is the week for all of us. The anxiety has really taken over my life and I know I'm not alone.

Let's all hope for the best going into this new week.

I know what you mean ... some days the doubt knocks on my door but gotta remain vigilant against that enemy ... the finish line is so close