Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Well I'm new here and my agony has just begun. I can be your friend. . . I like talking about Football and Medieval History.

Football!? Hey, did you hear? Some guy name Peyton Manning became a free agent today. I think he should go to the 49ers, personally. I think with the addition of Manning and one more receiver they would be instant Superbowl contenders.

Football!? Hey, did you hear? Some guy name Peyton Manning became a free agent today. I think he should go to the 49ers, personally. I think with the addition of Manning and one more receiver they would be instant Superbowl contenders.

I don't believe Archie Manning (The Manning father) would allow Peyton to play in the NFC. He wants the chance of a Eli vs. Peyton Superbowl. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, Archie makes every single decision for his sons when it comes to football, without exaggeration. It's borderline sad.

Man, things are getting slow around here. I'm a little disappointed. I mean, I'm glad we're almost done agonizing over where we are denied, but I rather enjoyed the banter and camaraderie.

et tu Llama? Et tu?

Well I'm new here and my agony has just begun. I can be your friend. . . I like talking about Football and Medieval History.

welcome buddy ... my Medieval History is currently restricted to Blackadder (TOS thank you!) and of course Monty Python's Holy Grail guess I'll jump into the football discussion .... No Peyton is sadly done (ha!) and he will become some 3rd stringer (double ha!) let us all turn away now and focus on everyone else ... maybe he'll get the hint to go away (infinite ha)

Hola, Oseirus! Como estas? Este forum es muy aborrido sin ti. Gracias a Dios que regresaron!

But yes, Hogs I can fully believe that Archie decides what the Manning boys do. I mean, last month he did say that Luck and Manning would never play under the same roof and now Peyton is gone without even trying to negotiate an incentive based contract. I'm just not sure there are many AFC teams in which Peyton can be an instant winner.

I just wish LINSANITY would return. Or Tebowmania. I could go for a good ol glass of Tebowmania right about now...

Hola, Oseirus! Como estas? Este forum es muy aborrido sin ti. Gracias a Dios que regresaron!

But yes, Hogs I can fully believe that Archie decides what the Manning boys do. I mean, last month he did say that Luck and Manning would never play under the same roof and now Peyton is gone without even trying to negotiate an incentive based contract. I'm just not sure there are many AFC teams in which Peyton can be an instant winner.

I just wish LINSANITY would return. Or Tebowmania. I could go for a good ol glass of Tebowmania right about now...

I've been attending the Church of Tebow for years now. Welcome.

As a PROUD and DEDICATED Seminole I must demand a retraction about that false prophet of the Swamp .... I spit on that man's name and reputation ... and whatever you said in Spanish Que Hora Es homie ... kay effing or a yes

Linsanity only lives on in China and some evil sweatshop in Bangalore

I like talking about Medieval history! Not so much football, but I'll talk Flyers hockey. Or Phillies!

Actually, its much too late for me to be commenting about anything.

Edited by qbluecheers

Oseirus, come on, man. How can you hate on Tebow? The man sucks as a traditional quarterback, but he still gets it done and gives proper credit to his team. I think he's a class act, and until we find out he secretly runs a brothel or fights roosters, I shall remain on the bandwagon. Even if he is benched behind Peyton manning. Who, for the record, will be seen as the best quarterback ever once he gets behind a decent offensive line. Those daggum Polians couldn't evaluate a lineman prospect to save their ever luvin' lives.

Oh, and, DOS COCA COLAS PARA MI!

Oh, and, DOS COCA COLAS PARA MI!

Funny story about the Spanish language and Coca-Cola... I was in Spain for a few weeks for an archaeology field school last summer and I was the only person in our group who had any Spanish ability (and mine wasn't much to write home about either). People kept asking for "Coke" at restaurants the entire trip. I knew that "Cola" was the right term, so I would always try to help the waiter/waitress when they inevitably gave the person who ordered an incredulous look. But it wasn't until the end of the trip that we figured out why the servers always seemed so shocked -- "Coke" always means cocaine in Spain, apparently...

Hey guys. Got some insider information on UNC. It's pretty reliable. They've made their choices. Money was tight. 6 places. So unless they are keeping an unofficial waitlist or are going to make MA offers, I'm counting them out. Not that I was ever really counting them in.

That is small. I received word two weeks ago from the DGS at UNC that I was near the top of their waitlist. With only a few spots though, I'm feeling less than confident that there will be a lot of movement. Here's to hoping!

Just received a letter in the mail from UCL's history program offering me a spot in their PhD program but the funding information seems rather vauge. I can't really tell what they are offering or what they need me to apply for. Anyone have any guidance on this topic? I suppose I'll have to email them tomorrow but seeing that they only send letters via snail mail I'm a bit afraid I'll be endlessly waiting.

UK funding tends to work differently and like it used to be here (think UW-M, where they admit a bunch of people but only fund some). If you're American, then you can't apply for AHRC (Arts and Humanities Research Council) funding since it only applies to UK or European students. That's probably why they are being fairly vague about it and suggesting that you apply for outside funding, but feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Oseirus, come on, man. How can you hate on Tebow?

Oh you poor thing! See when I say "Seminole" I really DO mean SEMINOLE ... school pride isn't just for the four years we are there ... college football within the southern psyche is not about rational or reasoned arguments ... Tebow EMBARRASSED my school 3 years running not only that he flat out rejected us during the recruiting process ipso facto ... after the devil, Tim Tebow is the most hated (and certain satanic covens he is actually #1) person in Tallahassee/amongst FSU fans worldwide ... we don't care if it makes sense or not ... Tebow will forever be damned in memory ... in summation ... yo quero taco bell

Oh you poor thing! See when I say "Seminole" I really DO mean SEMINOLE ... school pride isn't just for the four years we are there ... college football within the southern psyche is not about rational or reasoned arguments ... Tebow EMBARRASSED my school 3 years running not only that he flat out rejected us during the recruiting process ipso facto ... after the devil, Tim Tebow is the most hated (and certain satanic covens he is actually #1) person in Tallahassee/amongst FSU fans worldwide ... we don't care if it makes sense or not ... Tebow will forever be damned in memory ... in summation ... yo quero taco bell

I am not an FSU grad or a Florida grad, but I too must say that Tim Tebow is crap. Then again, when you're blessed enough to have someone as amazing/intelligent/down to earth/kind as Andrew Luck for three years, no one else will ever measure up :).

Gotta admit, as excited as I am for grad school, I will miss going to a school that actually has football...

I like talking about Medieval history! Not so much football, but I'll talk Flyers hockey. Or Phillies!

Actually, its much too late for me to be commenting about anything.

Flyers hockey and medieval history? Can I be your friend too?

Who posted the Pitt acceptance!? I'm dying to know details. Field, POI? I will admit full 100% self interest and envy on this one. I want to know if I can count this one out and begin planning my future at my current choice.

I apologize if this seems forward or rude, no sense in prevaricating though! lol.

And Congratulations to whoever this lucky person is!

Edited by Nordicllama

I am not an FSU grad or a Florida grad, but I too must say that Tim Tebow is crap. Then again, when you're blessed enough to have someone as amazing/intelligent/down to earth/kind as Andrew Luck for three years, no one else will ever measure up :).

Who achieved more success as a collegian?

Some form of results seem to be in for all of my schools. I've only heard only bad news or nothing. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Best guess? You're probably on some sort of unofficial waitlist. That's what I'm thinking has happened to me on my last 3 schools.

I just declined at Rutgers. It broke my heart, but I know it was the right decision. Here's hoping that frees up a spot for one of you on the wait list. As for me, I guess that means I'm D-O-N-E with this process. Now to the hard stuff! Thanks to all of you for being such a wonderful resource. I'll be lurking...

I just declined at Rutgers. It broke my heart, but I know it was the right decision. Here's hoping that frees up a spot for one of you on the wait list. As for me, I guess that means I'm D-O-N-E with this process. Now to the hard stuff! Thanks to all of you for being such a wonderful resource. I'll be lurking...

soo..what was your final decision??