Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

For my fellow would-be Yale rejects :( , I understand from other posts that someone was formally rejected by Yale (not Goldie's self-declared rejection). I have not seen where this was posted, and I am sorry if what I post comes across as insensitive to that applicant...

But, can't we assume that if Yale has sent any rejects, it could have and would have easily sent rejects right way to all non-interviewees- if they wanted to. Doesn't this keep the dream alive for many of us?

PS: sorry for not chiming in along the rest of you the last week or so...every time I sit down to type a post about how I'm feeling, I throw up all over my keyboard (but dont tell StrangeLight ;) )

But, can't we assume tha if Yale has sent any rejects, it could have and would have easily sent rejects right way to all non-interviewees- if they wanted to. Doesn't this keep the dream alive for many of us?

This is what my self-centered mind immediately hypothesized, but the rejectee actually had their application forwarded to an MA program. So it's possible that they will have informed the candidates who they want to consider for MAs before they send out their flood of rejections :( Alternatively, I could be completely wrong. I'll just keep jamming out to the UIC Admissions Office muzak.

Edited by crazedandinfused

I just got a Yale interview you guys! Please do NOT give up hope just yet, the applications are under review and it's too soon to count yourselves out. Speaking to the professor in a few hours, wish me luck!

Ahhhhh good luck to you, Safferz! I am sure you'll be great! So excited for you! (Did you just get the call today? Talk about short notice!)

Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed for you!

AHH! That's so exciting Safferz! So, goldie, STOP BEING SAD AND WAIT maybe your time will come too!

PS: sorry for not chiming in along the rest of you the last week or so...every time I sit down to type a post about how I'm feeling, I throw up all over my keyboard (but dont tell StrangeLight ;) )

I laughed.

Ahhhhh good luck to you, Safferz! I am sure you'll be great! So excited for you! (Did you just get the call today? Talk about short notice!)

Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks everyone :) I got an email from my POI this morning, and he asked when I'm available today or tomorrow. So 2 pm it is! I'll let you guys know how it goes and if I find out any useful information about the process that I can share with all of you.

I just got a Yale interview you guys! Please do NOT give up hope just yet, the applications are under review and it's too soon to count yourselves out. Speaking to the professor in a few hours, wish me luck!

Congrats Safferz!!!!!

Thanks everyone :) I got an email from my POI this morning, and he asked when I'm available today or tomorrow. So 2 pm it is! I'll let you guys know how it goes and if I find out any useful information about the process that I can share with all of you.

Congratulations Safferz! I'm sure they think you're good, so remember that in the interview! Knock em' dead!!!

So I received a call from an unknown number a little bit ago, but I missed the call. Now I can only imagine it was someone at Notre Dame calling about the interviews.... that or a scam.

Sigh. I have an over active imagination today.

You can relax, Kelkel. Last year, ND invited people for interviews via e-mail.

I know! It was a joke more or less. I know that any calls I receive are wrong numbers (I think I have a very close number to a drug dealer...) or just campaign/misc calls. It's just my mind that wanders to better options. You know how it goes.

In other news, I just had a mini-heart attack because SUNY Buffalo sent me an email... wanting me to network with other prospies on facebook... no... just admit me please.

I also recieved this email. I got really excited then realized it was for a facebook page...BOO!

Thanks everyone, my interview was short and sweet! It was a really pleasant conversation, we spoke about my research and some of the theoretical questions I've been thinking through, as well as my plans for future projects. Told me about a new hire this year that is a bit closer to my research interests (thematically, at least), and let me know about the African Studies and Women's Studies community at Yale.

He also said that this is pretty early in the process, as I suspected -- applications are with the Africa subcommittee right now, and then move up through different levels before some super committee makes the final decision. In his email this morning he said they're on a strict schedule and only gave me a two day frame for the call, so perhaps this means that the subfields have to move applications on at the end of this week or sometime soon. These 'interviews' only signal interest from the subfield committees at this stage, so nothing is set in stone until the real decisions are made.