Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Given the way things have been going, I haven't given up on anywhere, and don't really think anybody else should unless there is clear news from the department that they are done (UNC), and maybe not even then.

Get off your high horse. There is no reason to be upset. She was asking a legitimate question, and here is the place to do that. If you really are that upset that you got rejected from Michigan, wait a year, build up your credentials, and try again next year. There is no reason to take out your frustration on someone else.

It was on Feb 9th. Thanks. Did they send out admissions for different subfields on different days?

egads I hope not. If THAT'S true, then they did political theory first, then IR on Feb 9th and my chances are toast.

Sigh... as I typed toast, Per Mertesacker just fell over and Sunderland scored on Arsenal... sigh... I hope that's not an omen.

Is it probably safe to assume that Northwestern is done? Does anyone have news on this front?

Congratulations to all of you who are continuing to hear back from schools! I'm still crossing my fingers for everyone to get accepted with generous funding.

Bah got my UCSD rejection, that's 3 down and 7 to go, no acceptances yet. I really can't be upset though, they're all top 10 programs :P

Looking for intelligence jobs for next year (work in the treasury department) and going to reapply this fall and make a better writing sample (presenting at MPSA this april with some actual quant stuff).

You are all incredibly kind to post a response! My discipline is IR and methods, but I am interested specifically in working with Will Moore. Of course, I'll know more after I visit, but you've quieted my concerns about being able to fine a placement after graduating. I am wait listed at UNC and haven't heard back from the dual PhD at Notre Dame in poli sci and peace studies, but I'm hearing that I should be grateful for FSU - it's a solid choice and not a risk.

Thanks to all of you! Good luck with the rest of this difficult process!

Anybody who was rejected from Michigan should be pretty upset that they actually accepted the person whose username here is Tergellian:

http://talk.collegec...ppreciated.html

Do a quick Google search for "tergellian" and it becomes very obvious who she is. I'm not suggesting that anyone actually contact the faculty at Michigan about this situation...

Get off your high horse. There is no reason to be upset. She was asking a legitimate question, and here is the place to do that. If you really are that upset that you got rejected from Michigan, wait a year, build up your credentials, and try again next year. There is no reason to take out your frustration on someone else.

h5iQz.jpg

I find myself again trying to defend someone I dont even know. (And have earned quite a few negative reputation points in the process.)

Why does anyone feel the need to "tell on" someone else? Maybe in a moment of panic she asked the question. But I hardly think it is up to a stranger to judge her for an inquiry she had.

And do you plan to tell on every single person in this forum who has been accepted somewhere and doesn't think they'll go? Because if not, that seems rather counter-intuitive to me.

I just want someone to explain to me why this forum has to be used for negativity instead of people congratulating others on their wonderful achievements and encouraging those who are still waiting on good news!

Does anyone know anything more about Yale? I saw that a couple interviews were posted, so I am fully prepared to consider that a reject, since I haven't heard anything.

I'm not quite prepared to consider not hearing anything yet a rejection. There didn't seem to be very many Yale interviews posted, which makes me think they might be for the purposes of a university fellowship or they just haven't contacted everyone yet. I'd think there'd be many more if they set up interviews with everyone they might admit.

Does anyone know anything more about Yale? I saw that a couple interviews were posted, so I am fully prepared to consider that a reject, since I haven't heard anything.

I haven't heard anything either, but congrats on LSE!! That's a great first acceptance! As for Yale, it seems to me we might have seen more on here if they were done? This whole process is confusing me this time around. The first year I used gradcafe, acceptances almost always came all at once.

I should think the Michigan faculty would be dismayed to learn that they accidentally admitted someone who is already desiring to transfer away even before arriving on campus in the fall.

I think they'd be dismayed had they admitted someone so manifestly petty.

And re: Yale, there must be more. Same with Stanford. Last year there were what, 10 acceptances each? It makes no sense for that to drop to 3 each this year.

Edited by balderdash

Maybe it s just my trip as a "methodologist" but isn t it a too strong assumption that the notifications that are posted on gradcafé actually represent

the true population well? I mean, if stanford accepts say twenty people on average and last year ten people posted acceptances and this year four,

what can we seriously derive from that? actually i don t have a clue what might be the proportion of applicants that post their results on this site, though i am sure that acceptances are overrepresented as compared to rejects.

not that its all that important, but still...

Anybody who was rejected from Michigan should be pretty upset that they actually accepted the person...

You make us all look like great people in comparison. Thanks fella.

egads I hope not. If THAT'S true, then they did political theory first, then IR on Feb 9th and my chances are toast.

Sigh... as I typed toast, Per Mertesacker just fell over and Sunderland scored on Arsenal... sigh... I hope that's not an omen.

We will be toast if we do not hear anything from them until -say- Wednesday. And yes good sir, that IS an omen

This features prominently on the "Things That Didn't Happen in the GradCafe Acceptances Thread My Year" list. Kids these days with their rock and roll music and their newfangled hairdos. It all started getting worse when they stopped say "sir" and "ma'am."

Sir, yes sir! (a delicious sir sandwich for you coach)

I haven't heard anything either, but congrats on LSE!! That's a great first acceptance! As for Yale, it seems to me we might have seen more on here if they were done? This whole process is confusing me this time around. The first year I used gradcafe, acceptances almost always came all at once.

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, I agree with you, balderdash, and carousel, but it has been difficult to rationalize much of anything as my anxiety has grown this cycle.