Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

So is there anyone else going to grad school yet not interested in being a professor/academic afterwards? I'm in that boat. I've been told that going for a PhD is dumb unless you want to be a professor, but it has been a goal of mine since I was a little kid, so why the heck not :P

So is there anyone else going to grad school yet not interested in being a professor/academic afterwards? I'm in that boat. I've been told that going for a PhD is dumb unless you want to be a professor, but it has been a goal of mine since I was a little kid, so why the heck not :P

I'm going to be honest here, I mildly face palmed when I read your post... but then I realized you're probably not in theory/philosophy so you could probably use your skills in the "real" world.

I woke up this morning to my giant stack of unfinished thesis work, and checked this thread mainly because I'm a masochist who likes to torture myself by increasing the anxiety of waiting. Instead, I was treated to a delightful conversation abut the various attributes of American presidents, which started my day off with a giggle and made this day seem infinitely more manageable. Thank you. I don't really have a favorite president myself, but if I had to pick one it would probably be FDR. As a high school student I got into a fight with the head of the school board over FDR, and totally caught him (a lawyer with an undergrad degree in econ) in a major analytical mistake. As a high schooler I thought I was awesome, now I suspect I kind of looked like a jerk, but still. FDR, man.

I woke up this morning to my giant stack of unfinished thesis work, and checked this thread mainly because I'm a masochist who likes to torture myself by increasing the anxiety of waiting. Instead, I was treated to a delightful conversation abut the various attributes of American presidents, which started my day off with a giggle and made this day seem infinitely more manageable. Thank you. I don't really have a favorite president myself, but if I had to pick one it would probably be FDR. As a high school student I got into a fight with the head of the school board over FDR, and totally caught him (a lawyer with an undergrad degree in econ) in a major analytical mistake. As a high schooler I thought I was awesome, now I suspect I kind of looked like a jerk, but still. FDR, man.

What's your interest? Just curious if Boix is one of your POI

good morning gradcafe! another day of moral torture! fingers crossed good news will come soon!

Edit: Thank you Eudaimonia the video made my morning :D

Edited by swisschocolate

President: I'll just go with one who I think is heavily underrated, LBJ. He was a crude jerk, but apparently one of the best ever in terms of manipulating Congress to get what he wanted. And if it weren't for that, civil rights and the social welfare system would be far less than what they are today.

I can haz Princeton plz?

I can haz Princeton plz?

You can call them in about 4 hours to check, if your anxiety keeps growing. Back to one of my earlier post, what has Widner been doing recently? She wasn't publishing in recent years, and her two ongoing work projects seemed to have lasted for decades...

You can call them in about 4 hours to check, if your anxiety keeps growing. Back to one of my earlier post, what has Widner been doing recently? She wasn't publishing in recent years, and her two ongoing work projects seemed to have lasted for decades...

I believe she has an above-average load of institutional/departmental duties, for one, and it seems as though she was in the UK last fall. Also, the two works you mention are book projects (which necessarily take a long time), and her CV lists a $300,000 grant last year.

But why do you press the point? Lots of academics go years without updating their CVs, and in fact I don't think I'd need to once I had tenure at Princeton. Besides, I've seen much "emptier" ones than her's...

Edited by balderdash

I believe she has an above-average load of institutional/departmental duties, for one, and it seems as though she was in the UK last fall. Also, the two works you mention are book projects (which necessarily take a long time), and her CV lists a $300,000 grant last year.

But why do you press the point? Lots of academics go years without updating their CVs, and in fact I don't think I'd need to once I had tenure at Princeton. Besides, I've seen much "emptier" ones than her's...

I was also interested in parts of her work, though with a different issue focus. And I don't think active scholars stop updating their CVs once tenured, people who stop updating CVs are most likely to be people who no longer publish. In the case of Widner, I also did extensive online search and found out no "serious" publication since maybe 2005. I feared that she may be less active and not really interested in taking more students. So I didn't list her as my POI for better or worse.

I was also interested in parts of her work, though with a different issue focus. And I don't think active scholars stop updating their CVs once tenured, people who stop updating CVs are most likely to be people who no longer publish. In the case of Widner, I also did extensive online search and found out no "serious" publication since maybe 2005. I feared that she may be less active and not really interested in taking more students. So I didn't list her as my POI for better or worse.

Ah, I see. Well, she was one of a few for me, and really since my specialization is so narrow (and so out of fashion), my potential POIs are rather narrow. Also, I listed her last year and was waitlisted, so who knows this year.

I have a foot in this boat and am sort of unsure between the two. But I don't feel as dumb as others would say because every non academic job I've wanted in the last year or so has been a research job that lists its self as "PhD preferred" so if they are looking for trained researchers, thats what I need to be trained as.

Also for favorite president, 100% LBJ.

I think you may have misspelled, cauz google returned a result "Deng Xiaoping".

If so, according to wiki, this guy has never served as Chinese president, and was responsible for a bloody massive crackdown in 1989....

There are 2 different ways of pronouncing the name, one cantonese one mandarin (depending whether or not you're from Harbin, Beijing, or Guangzhou), the westernize name would be ping. And no you're right he was never President, he was General Secretary, this combined with the point of the crackdown I was merely being sarcastic. However I do believe his reforms post Mao were boom for the Chinese state, in a relative fashion of course.

There are 2 different ways of pronouncing the name, one cantonese one mandarin (depending whether or not you're from Harbin, Beijing, or Guangzhou), the westernize name would be ping. And no you're right he was never President, he was General Secretary, this combined with the point of the crackdown I was merely being sarcastic. However I do believe his reforms post Mao were boom for the Chinese state, in a relative fashion of course.

Well, again, I checked wiki, this guy had also never served as general secretary. Is he more like a communist Ayatollah?

i thought china had emperors, but what do i know. i'm just an ignorant americanist

Lawl.

Well, again, I checked wiki, this guy had also never served as general secretary.

And Colonel Qaddafi handed power back to the people in the 80s.

Well, again, I checked wiki, this guy had also never served as general secretary. Is he more like a communist Ayatollah?

Haha I really lol'd, "supreme leader" "Central Advisor" I guess i'm just trying to give labels. Happen a lot, people ask me "what the he*l is China's economy?" Me: ...uh....state capitalist?..or autocratic capitalist...and then I just give up and take their term "communist with Chinese characteristic", and then go eat at KFC in Beijing :P

New Distraction: Political Science Pickup Lines.

Example: "Are you a Chinese state official? Because I find myself, like many multinational corporations, desperate and willing to give up anything in order to penetrate your market."

Discuss.

OMG. Thank you so much.